Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,024,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLRRE View Post
Lol, no way...Philly, Boston, Portland, San Diego do not have more high rises than Houston, that's laughable. I've been to all of those cities. NY has the most of all cities by farrrrrrrr, of course...but NY is in a class of its own. Downtown LA and Downtown Houston look about the same. Downtown Chicago has more than LA and Houston. But Houston has several skyline districts far beyond its downtown, that most cities except for NY, Chicago and maybe Miami, can't touch. And the way Downtown Houston is filling in, within about 5years there won't be a vacant lot left that's not developed or tagged for development.
You beat me to it. Houston does seem to have more buildings in downtown than philly and some of the other cities listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 04:57 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,932,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You beat me to it. Houston does seem to have more buildings in downtown than philly and some of the other cities listed.
The city, yes; downtown no

Old 05-23-2017, 05:49 PM

89 posts, read 79,602 times
Houston is unique, in that it has skyscapers and high rises throughout the city. Downtown, Uptown/Galleria, TMC, Greenway Plaza, The Energy Corridor. Even Greenspoint and The Woodlands have towers of 30+ floors. Only LA and Atlanta have similar layouts. All the others have all their high rises and skyscapers concentrated in their downtowns (Philly, Boston, Chicago, San Diego, Seattle, etc). Houston has several skylines throughout.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
The city, yes; downtown no
Downtown Houston has a lot of high rises. It's not that much different than Philly or LA in that regard. With the addition of two new buildings the skyline looks more urban. I find it's growing into a mini Chicago in some regards, obviously the latter has a lot more history of development.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:39 PM

89 posts, read 79,602 times
Quote:
Downtown Houston has a lot of high rises. It's not that much different than Philly or LA in that regard. With the addition of two new buildings the skyline looks more urban. I find it's growing into a mini Chicago in some regards, obviously the latter has a lot more history of development.
To put this aspect of the thread into context, you have to imagine or consider the skyscapers and highrises of Downtown Houston, Uptown/Galleria, The Energy Corridor, The Woodlands, Greenway Plaza, TMC, etc., grouped altogether. And because all of Houston's business districts continue to fill in and add more highrises and skyscrapers, it will only make Houston's unique layout that much more dynamic and distinct.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLRRE View Post
To put this aspect of the thread into context, you have to imagine or consider the skyscapers and highrises of Downtown Houston, Uptown/Galleria, The Energy Corridor, The Woodlands, Greenway Plaza, TMC, etc., grouped altogether. And because all of Houston's business districts continue to fill in and add more highrises and skyscrapers, it will only make Houston's unique layout that much more dynamic and distinct.
Spot on. Yes all those grouped together make for a near Manhattan look. But even so I still think downtown Houston has enough buildings to make it stand out on its own too.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
They tore down some of the old towers recently downtown. Philly is so much denser and has way more high rises than Downtown Houston. L.A.'s downtown is a high rise construction zone, thanks to Chinese and recent discovery of a livable downtown that prompt lots of developers flooding downtown to build towers to meet HUGE population that want to live downtown. 4 million people are living in L.A. and a whole lot of them saying, " I want to move downtown!" They're building and will be building hundreds of new high rises downtown in just 10 years. L.A has gone from sprawl to vertical and in the process of doing so like a switch. This is not happening in Houston where everyone says, "let's move downtown". It has been a limited boom of 8 new high rises residential in Dt. Houston which is coming to a close early next year due to construction fee incentives. It'll be it for some time.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 PM

I just think downtown Houston isn't desirable for most people to live in. It's the least expensive urban hot spot in the inner loop. It does need revitalization but just in terms of buildings, I think you're underestimating it. It looks like a decent sized major city's downtown.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I just think downtown Houston isn't desirable for most people to live in. It's the least expensive urban hot spot in the inner loop. It does need revitalization but just in terms of buildings, I think you're underestimating it. It looks like a decent sized major city's downtown.
I carefully examined this downtown by walking: Louisiana, Smith, Main, Commerce and Market Sq. I walk through the whole downtown area by Discovery Park, Convention/arena and ballpark. I was also in Edo(East Downtown). I saw the failed Houston Pavilions that part of it been converted to offices. It's bookstore long shuttered. I basically counted all the towers downtown for fun. It just came up short compared to other downtowns I mentioned before. It's not dense. It also lacks mid rises, too. The whole old section of Downtown L.A. has almost as many high rises as Downtown Houston with a bunch old 10 to 25 story buildings. I'm talking about the area around Broadway and Spring in Dt. L.A.. Dt L.A. is so much more dense and bigger than Houston's. Look at Downtown Portland: it's very dense and has a lot of high rises, although it doesn't look as impressive from a vantage point but it's dense. Don't get me started with Downtown Seattle since it has so many towers and old towers. It's very dense and packed.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
I carefully examined this downtown by walking: Louisiana, Smith, Main, Commerce and Market Sq. I walk through the whole downtown area by Discovery Park, Convention/arena and ballpark. I was also in Edo(East Downtown). I saw the failed Houston Pavilions that part of it been converted to offices. It's bookstore long shuttered. I basically counted all the towers downtown for fun. It just came up short compared to other downtowns I mentioned before. It's not dense. It also lacks mid rises, too. The whole old section of Downtown L.A. has almost as many high rises as Downtown Houston with a bunch old 10 to 25 story buildings. I'm talking about the area around Broadway and Spring in Dt. L.A.. Dt L.A. is so much more dense and bigger than Houston's. Look at Downtown Portland: it's very dense and has a lot of high rises, although it doesn't look as impressive from a vantage point but it's dense. Don't get me started with Downtown Seattle since it has so many towers and old towers. It's very dense and packed.
Is it just density you're talking about because Houston is not known for density. It's a sprawling city but at the same time, I just made it to Houston from Austin today and there was a night and day difference. Austin's downtown is more dense and looks like Portland's a bit, but outside of that there is a ton of space. Houston, while sprawling, seems massive in terms of overall sprawl and size of the surrounding buildings and big box store along the huge freeways.

So it's not the density that I am looking at. It's just the size of the city itself. Uptown for one dwarf's Austin inner core. Downtown just hasn't been able to pick up steam quite like Uptown because it's not desirable but it's still urban to me. To me urban doesn't necessarily mean dense and packed. I think of development and Houston develops wide with parking lots and lots of space in between buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston