Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:15 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes as I've said before Houston is starting to have the feel of Chicago a bit. Good eye.
If only Galveston as once the premier Texas city (before 1900's hurricane destruction had more look inland to Houston). Then a Galveston building outward? Would have ben like a Mamie Beach and Mainland city hugging the coast. Then a Chicago reference too in look as it hugs its Lakeshore. Houston then had oil to grow it as Galveston stayed a off-shore resort city that probably could have been the Miami/Miami Beach of the southwest.

Houston still lacks the scope of skyscrapers as a Chicago and high-rise and skyscraper living. But downtown Houston is gaining some despite a slowdown. It seems Houstonians want it noted that its few Business Cores can line-up for a continuous looking skyline. Being flat even low-rises can toke on a effect.

Houston will continue to sprawl as Corporate America builds further outward. Infilling the inner-loop will density areas around downtown and more high-rise living. The other may add more high-rise living too. But still much growth will be outside the city. I merely see --- Chicago comparisons and very different to compare just on a skyline.....

Chicago is a one Core city that sprawls along its lakefront with high-rise living.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 01:28 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,305,438 times
^ Do you think before you post?

Old 05-24-2017, 01:36 PM

390 posts, read 389,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
If only Galveston as once the premier Texas city (before 1900's hurricane destruction had more look inland to Houston). Then a Galveston building outward? Would have ben like a Mamie Beach and Mainland city hugging the coast. Then a Chicago reference too in look as it hugs its Lakeshore. Houston then had oil to grow it as Galveston stayed a off-shore resort city that probably could have been the Miami/Miami Beach of the southwest.

Houston still lacks the scope of skyscrapers as a Chicago and high-rise and skyscraper living. But downtown Houston is gaining some despite a slowdown. It seems Houstonians want it noted that its few Business Cores can line-up for a continuous looking skyline. Being flat even low-rises can toke on a effect.

Houston will continue to sprawl as Corporate America builds further outward. Infilling the inner-loop will density areas around downtown and more high-rise living. The other may add more high-rise living too. But still much growth will be outside the city. I merely see --- Chicago comparisons and very different to compare just on a skyline.....

Chicago is a one Core city that sprawls along its lakefront with high-rise living.
It's not that Houston dosent have alot of skyscrapers, it's that skyscrapers in Houston are spread out all over the place . Houston I believe is in the top 5 or 10 cities with the most skyscrapers. If you were to combine all of Houston skyscrapers into a single area I guarantee you it would rival Chicago but to a lesser extent .

Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM

390 posts, read 389,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I tend to agree that they focus a lot more on "true" mixed use projects up north, but addressing the bolded point, that project will take years to complete and Uptown Houston will also continue to grow and improve in the meantime. The concept for Dallas midtown reminds me a lot of the redevlopment happening in Upper Kirby.
True true

Old 05-24-2017, 01:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
It's not that Houston dosent have alot of skyscrapers, it's that skyscrapers in Houston are spread out all over the place . Houston I believe is in the top 5 or 10 cities with the most skyscrapers. If you were to combine all of Houston skyscrapers into a single area I guarantee you it would rival Chicago but to a lesser extent .
This is pretty much what I was trying to say but at the same time there are certain spots in town that give it that big city ala Chicago and NYC feel such as the area around Discovery Park and Convention. Small scale but still relevant

Old 05-24-2017, 02:37 PM

190 posts, read 212,097 times
I'm excited by all the new development along the bayou greenways, especially the high-rises. There is something stunning and beautiful about that park space, with the water running through it, surrounded by tall buildings. It seems like every TV montage establishing Houston now includes a shot of the rail going through Main Street Square and then a bike rider heading down the greenway toward the big city skyline. It gives Houston a visually unique identity, I think.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Do you think Houston will ever have a highrise boom reminiscent of the 80s or at least get a new tallest?
No. Nobody but New York City is building a lot of highrises. Its just not economical anymore and businesses are looking at different types of space and less square feet per employee. You will see more 30-35 story buildings.

It may get a new tallest, but it would require some tenant that wanted a signature building. Energy companies are moving to the burbs.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:49 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Uptown looks like another city. It's grown so much. I think it's just almost as big as downtown Austin.
It really hasn't grown that much lately. In the 80s it was the 12th largest central business district in the country in office space. Last I saw it had slipped to 16th. But that is probably still far bigger than Austin.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:03 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
I carefully examined this downtown by walking: Louisiana, Smith, Main, Commerce and Market Sq. I walk through the whole downtown area by Discovery Park, Convention/arena and ballpark. I was also in Edo(East Downtown). I saw the failed Houston Pavilions that part of it been converted to offices. It's bookstore long shuttered. I basically counted all the towers downtown for fun. It just came up short compared to other downtowns I mentioned before. It's not dense. It also lacks mid rises, too. The whole old section of Downtown L.A. has almost as many high rises as Downtown Houston with a bunch old 10 to 25 story buildings. I'm talking about the area around Broadway and Spring in Dt. L.A.. Dt L.A. is so much more dense and bigger than Houston's. Look at Downtown Portland: it's very dense and has a lot of high rises, although it doesn't look as impressive from a vantage point but it's dense. Don't get me started with Downtown Seattle since it has so many towers and old towers. It's very dense and packed.
Your eyes aren't very good at measuring heights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Only NYC and Chicago have more than Houston on this list of 700 ft. + buildings. Houston has 9, 8 in downtown. Philadelphia had 5 total. A quick look only showed the following other cities with more than two-LA-6, Dallas-4, Atlanta-4, Seattle-3.

Elsewhere I've seen a list that includes something like 400 ft. plus and Houston is still 3rd, although Miami and LA are close. I don't remember if Philadelphia was.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:37 PM

89 posts, read 79,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No. Nobody but New York City is building a lot of highrises. Its just not economical anymore and businesses are looking at different types of space and less square feet per employee. You will see more 30-35 story buildings.

It may get a new tallest, but it would require some tenant that wanted a signature building. Energy companies are moving to the burbs.
Yea that sounds about right. Houston's been doing a lot of 30+ and 40+ story towers (like Capital Tower and 609 Main), and a lot of 25+ residentials (like The Catalyst and Market Square Tower), but few supertalls like JP Morgan Chase tower. Menawhile, ExxonMobil opened a super campus up in The Woodlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston