Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 09:12 PM

1,555 posts, read 780,537 times

Advertisements

So what happens if you happen to be gay and in the least gay city in the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 10:02 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,091 times
Honestly you can't go wrong either way.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:51 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Historically, it seemed that Houston had more LGBTQ "community", but lesser quality / quantity of retail and bars targeted to them. Dallas supposedly had less "community", but more fun places to hang out.

There used to be a joke told by gay men in Texas who were not from Dallas (and a few that were too) - "How does a Dallas queen set the table? Fork on the left, spoon up the nose, knife in the back, and dish, dish, dish." So the overall Dallas reputation for snobbiness and glitzy living definitely leaked over to the gay community (lots of references to "Dallitude").

Old 10-11-2022, 10:55 PM

Regarding Austin, it was known as the best place for gays to party in TX back in the 80s/90s, but the gentrification of the city has taken a real toll on that scene since 2000 (not to mention smart phones). I can't comment on the quality of the "community" there, though it always seemed active if not nearly as large as those in Houston and Dallas.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:01 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Regarding Austin, it was known as the best place for gays to party in TX back in the 80s/90s, but the gentrification of the city has taken a real toll on that scene since 2000 (not to mention smart phones). I can't comment on the quality of the "community" there, though it always seemed active if not nearly as large as those in Houston and Dallas.
I don’t think this is why. Austin has been the “favored” LGBT destination in Texas basically since it’s white liberal came in full force sometime in the last decade and a half or so. The LGBT community often associates the white liberal group as their “Allies”. I have gay friends in Louisiana that I knew from when I was there that frequent Austin because it’s their “vibe”.

But as has been mentioned above, you can’t go wrong in Houston nor Dallas unless you go to a conservative suburb in either.

Houston definitely has the best/largest pride event in Texas though. So I don’t know if this is noteworthy to OP.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t think this is why. Austin has been the “favored” LGBT destination in Texas basically since it’s white liberal came in full force sometime in the last decade and a half or so. The LGBT community often associates the white liberal group as their “Allies”. I have gay friends in Louisiana that I knew from when I was there that frequent Austin because it’s their “vibe”.

But as has been mentioned above, you can’t go wrong in Houston nor Dallas unless you go to a conservative suburb in either.

Houston definitely has the best/largest pride event in Texas though. So I don’t know if this is noteworthy to OP.
I'm sure that politically / culturally, many (white) gays from conservative communities around the south-central U.S. probably think of Austin as a refuge, and probably have since it started getting a national reputation in the 1990s. Houston and Dallas equally filled that role in the 1960s-80s, despite not being as liberal at that time, because they were so big that each contained substantial "refuge" neighborhoods. Atlanta was probably similar. And of course New Orleans, though it can be a little alienating if you're not a heavy drinker...

Old 11-04-2022, 09:19 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,549 times
I know a lot of gay men and couples living in Cypress, and they have been treated well by their neighbors (and vice versa). At least based on the last big election, south of 290 is significantly less conservative (e.g., Bridgeland) than north of 290. I'm assuming Bridgeland has a lot more young people since it's a fairly new community. Younger people, including young Republicans, tend to be more accepting of their gay friends and neighbors (and marriage equality) than older people.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:06 PM

319 posts, read 228,827 times
yet another category where houston and dallas are basically the same...while differences can be found, neither is the clear "winner" or is clearly "better" - can't go wrong either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston