Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 03:29 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Re Jeff Lindner, chief meteorologist Harris Co Flood Control Dist
419 BILLION gallons of water have fallen on Harris County in past 24 hours...

That is NOTHING like past events...
No it's not. Flooding period is what I was talking about...not the amount of water that causes the flooding.

Harvey will clearly be one of the worst weather events to hit Houston.

My mom is now worried and is packing up a little bag in case she has to evacuate. Cypress area is getting hit hard with floods.

This is a very unfortunate event hitting the Houston area right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 03:31 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Many of the people who were middle and upper class, would leave if the mayor said they should. People I know that didn't leave are sheltering in HISD schools, churches, and others homes that have higher elevation. Even Gallery Furniture is opening their doors so people have a place to sleep and even allows small animals.

The people that couldn't leave should have been evacuated using HISD or city buses to public or private shelters. After the previous flood, I am shocked they didn't have a better plan in place. Some apartments close to me have water in the second story apartments. That is shocking.

The helicopters are taking people right now to Ellington Field.

Should everyone evacuate...no. Should the people in flood prone areas...heck yeah. That's what the mayor should have said.
How about posting something helpful for the people devastated by the flood?
Spot on!

My mom has neighbors with second floors...at least she has a close place to go in the event she must evacuate.

There never seems to be a good plan in place when these types of storms hit Houston. I never understood why that was?

Old 08-27-2017, 03:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Spot on!

My mom has neighbors with second floors...at least she has a close place to go in the event she must evacuate.
Just remember not to use an attic unless there is a way on the roof...

Old 08-27-2017, 03:35 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I just called my insurance company and they said many companies were giving leeway without penalties for people and their payments. Also you may be able to get money out penalty free from a CD. So call your insurance company if money is tight due to the flood and damage.

It appears a dry patch is coming to the Houston area. Hopefully SW Houston will drain a bit.
We are still in "light"or minor flood stage overall and we will probably be in "major"flood stage over the coming days, as we might get 5 more feet of rain.

Certain areas are already in the major flood stage.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
How many people would want city council to pass an ordinance that makes it a crime to stay in area where there is mandatory evac order?

You would find it very difficult if not impossible to enforce mandatory evac...

Old 08-27-2017, 03:46 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
They are currently upping the number of national guard. :-) tornado watch overnight for SE Texas and parts of Louisiana. Stay safe everyone.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:47 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Face it. The mayor dropped the ball. He should've at least issues a mandatory evacuation notice for all low lying areas.

After Katrina, people didn't want to visit New Orleans for a decade. Imagine how this will impact people thinking of moving to Houston for a job?

Old 08-27-2017, 04:11 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Face it. The mayor dropped the ball. He should've at least issues a mandatory evacuation notice for all low lying areas.

After Katrina, people didn't want to visit New Orleans for a decade. Imagine how this will impact people thinking of moving to Houston for a job?
After Rita, 107 people died with an evacuation order. Rita's death toll eclipses Harvey, even while Harvey's rainfall and wide spread impact is larger.

Imagine how Rita and Harvey comparisons will impact future evacuation orders.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:12 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What is that going to do?
People are not going to evacuate if he says that

Old 08-27-2017, 04:14 PM

130 posts, read 532,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
After Rita, 107 people died with an evacuation order. Rita's death toll eclipses Harvey, even while Harvey's rainfall and wide spread impact is larger.

Imagine how Rita and Harvey comparisons will impact future evacuation orders.

We don't know what Harvey's death toll will be. It is likely to be far higher than 5 so far. They seem real confused on it anyway. I heard 8 dead yesterday in just one small area. Then 1 then 2 then 3.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up a record unfortunately with the way the destruction looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston