Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,293 times

Advertisements

We found homes online that we liked, and we have always heard great things about the neighborhood.

Then, when we drove through it, we were unpleasantly surprised by the very spotty "pride of ownership" that we saw. Beautiful home ... then gutter-falling-off home ... then decent home ... then overgrown yard ... then beautiful home ... then 17 yard ornaments ... you get the idea.

My current subdivision in Houston is about the same age but much more consistently well-kept.

So, is Nottingham Country on the brink of getting NICER or getting WORSE? Which way is it trending?

Appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 01:59 PM

137 posts, read 217,551 times
My previous home was in Nottingham Country.

You are correct, there is some variance on "pride of ownership". I blame that on the HOA. But there is also a variance on the quality of construction. Most of the homes are considered "custom". The emphasis was on appearance (custom millwork, heavy crown molding, leaded glass doors, etc.). So if you find a house you like, be sure to have a quality inspection done. For example, many of those homes have galvanized steel plumbing. (I'll never own a house with that again!)

NC is a big subdivision. It runs from I-10 all the way back to Highland Knolls. For the most part, it was developed from the front to the back (from the mid 70s to about 1990). Several of the houses have been updated and remodeled into really nice homes. Some have languished with no updates.

I don't know which way NC is currently trending. But given the desirable location, I have to believe there are some good investments in NC. Oil & Gas goes through cycles; it will come back. And the Texas Medical Center West Campus will continue to expand.

If you like the area, I suggest also looking at Green Trails. Those may be customized spec homes; but they were constructed by reputable builders for the most part.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:07 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,015 times
Highland Knolls, the street, floods in the Nottingham Country area.

There is a school zone along Highland Knolls and it's strictly enforced. The reason I say that is my son had a friend living behind the Catholic Church there on Highland Knolls and he made many trips, saw many people pulled over. The speed limit on that street is 30. Cars park on it. This is the street that floods.

This friend's family had their wood floors torn up due to warping and age. Yes, it's an older subdivision. I also know they're extremely proud of their kids going to Taylor High School.

Between the catholic church and LDS across the road, there's a lot of traffic whenever they're in session. That adds to the neighborhood and access streets. Something to think about.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 PM

214 posts, read 306,909 times
I used to live in Nottingham Country. I personally think that you get the best bang for your buck there. It's got good schools, the homes are reasonably priced, and the location is excellent--lots of stores, amenities, and very convenient to Energy Corridor jobs. I'm surprised not to see more flips there. Many of the floor plans in Nc are able to be turned into an open floor plan for a reasonable reno budget. My pet peeve are the 8 ft ceilings common in homes from that era...

Old 04-03-2017, 10:51 AM

234 posts, read 424,775 times
I still think it is a nice area. You will have homes that don't keep up with their yards in the most respected places in Katy.

As someone mentioned, Green Trails, Kelliwood and old Cinco Ranch are nice neighborhoods that are in the Nottingham area that I wouldn't mind living in. Great value in that area, established area, great schools, etc.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:11 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,139 times
It's unfortunate that some owners have not kept up appearances, but I don't think that's a reflection of the quality of the neighborhood. It's a good choice.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:11 PM

142 posts, read 516,540 times
Anyone can provide any insight on flooding situation in Nottingham Country, section 3, near I10.
Considering build a custom home there.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:58 AM

170 posts, read 193,953 times
Excellent schools, good location for commuting compared to some of the newer Katy neighborhoods. My daughter looked in that area online and when they drove to the actual open house, they never even stopped, for the same reason that you describe - sketchy neighbors. But that varies from street to street. Like a previous poster mentioned, these homes are old and can be money pits. Some of the builders did so on the cheap. But if you find one that has been restored, not just cosmetically, but the inner workings, you will get a lot of house for your money.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,636 times
I don't think it's "sketchy" neighbor's or lack of pride. Seems like a lot of the homeowners are older, not having the funds or ability to keep their homes up to date. It's a really pretty area with mature trees and shade.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:50 AM

581 posts, read 614,889 times
So we live in Kelliwood just across Fry from Nottingham and drive through the neighborhood pretty frequently. I think a number of the "lack of pride" homes are more than likely due to the aging residents in the neighborhood who are unable to maintain their homes the way they once did. In Kelliwood on our street, a number of homes have gone up for sale recently, 100% due to aging baby boomers dying off and/or downsizing now that their kids are grown and gone. Luckily for us, more young families have been moving into those homes, and I imagine that is the trend that Nottingham is going through as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: