Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,761,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
United really needs to introduce a premium economy product for long haul routes like this (Delta and AA announced premium economy this week). Even for the Polaris customers, this is the same old rebranded BusinessFirst hard product 2x2x2 (with the updated Polaris soft product). Missed opportunity to roll out some nice improvements on such a long route.
They already have "Economy Plus" on their 787s in the middle rows. However no "sky couch" option like Air NZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Hope they have some thing in their seat entertainment other than the United Wi fi or United App.
The 787s already have those screens in the head rests, just like Air NZ's 777.

The 787 Dreamliner is pretty slick and quiet, but 17.5 hours nonstop in any flight is absolutely brutal. I've done 16 hrs in 1st and that was barely tolerable. I've done the AKL-IAH direct 14 hour coach ride in a 777 with 10 abreast and that was just terrible. Doing IAH-LAX-AKL-SYD with 1.5-2 hour layovers at least gives you a chance to get on the ground to use a real restroom and move your legs.

On the other hand I can't say I've had a bad experience with United. If you compare to domestic Australian I find them better than Virgin Australia but not quite as good as Qantas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 06:18 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,427,514 times
An Australian friend in Houston likes to fly IAH-HNL (~8.25 hrs), rest up, then fly HNL-SYD (~10.5 hrs). I think I would prefer that over a 17.5-hr flight. Unless the latter was cheaper and I had a prescription for a great sleeping pill. :-)

I did IAH-NRT once in coach and it was an ordeal. I'm too old now to put up with that!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:01 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,031,009 times
Economy Plus isn't Premium Economy. Take a look at Lufthansa's Premium Economy offering (or just about any non-domestic carrier) and you'll see it's very different than anything United offers. Special seats, special meal service, amenity kits and so on. Premium Economy on Lufthansa is as good or better than domestic first on United. Economy Plus is just a couple of extra inches of legroom, with zero difference in class of service.

Here's the new Premium Economy offering Delta is going to roll out. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...m-economy.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
They already have "Economy Plus" on their 787s in the middle rows. However no "sky couch" option like Air NZ.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:10 PM

54 posts, read 93,655 times
I'd do the flight, but only if I could upgrade using points to First class, in which case it might be a fun adventure. Forget flying this route in cattle class, that would be a killer.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:02 PM

3,209 posts, read 2,094,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Well, honestly not a whole lot of effect.

Air New Zealand and United have a joint venture. That means they share profits on routes across the Pacific as well as co-ordinate schedules and fares. You can see the details in the link below:

file:///E:/Users/HeinzB/Downloads/new_joint_venture_with_air_new_zealand%20(1).pdf

I honestly dont think they would have launched this route if it meant that Air New Zealand wouldnt be able to make it since they are partners in this region of the world. Theyve done their homework.
I agree. I think that what this route will do moreso is supplement ANZ's Auckland flight. ANZ still has a bunch of intra-New Zealand (and connection to Australia) traffic they service that won't be affected by a single United flight to Sydney. That flight will focus more on eastern US-Sydney, while the ANZ flight has a lot of feed on both ends.

I think the presence of both these flights will actually have a bigger effect on the Qantas flight between Sydney and DFW. Like the ANZ flight, that flight kind of serves both markets since it has feed on both ends (Qantas and Jetstar on one end, and American on the other) but it's served by an A380 and the rumor seems to be that Qantas may downgauge it once they have more 787s. This new route will compete for those eastern U.S. to Sydney customers.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:42 PM

10,031 posts, read 6,730,380 times
Think about how much new international routes have been added since 2013.

Auckland- Air New Zealand
Beijing- Air China
Calgary- Westjet (also served by United and Air Canada)
Havana- United
Istanbul- Turkish Airlines
Manchester- Singapore Airlines
Montreal- Air Canada (served by United until recently)
Nassau- Bahamasair (United also flies this route)
Punta Cana- United
Santiago de Chile- United
Seoul- Korean Air
Sydney- United
Taipei- EVA Air
Tokyo- All Nippon Airways (United also flies this route)

They have done a great job of turning IAH into one of the premier international airports of America.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 09-12-2017 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 04:51 PM

3,209 posts, read 2,094,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Think about how much new international routes have been added since 2013.

Auckland- Air New Zealand
Beijing- Air China
Calgary- Westjet (also served by United and Air Canada)
Havana- United
Istanbul- United
Manchester- Singapore Airlines
Montreal- Air Canada (served by United until recently)
Nassau- Bahamasair (United also flies this route)
Punta Cana- United
Santiago de Chile- United
Seoul- Korean Air
Sydney- United
Taipei- EVA Air
Tokyo- All Nippon Airways (United also flies this route)

They have done a great job of turning IAH into one of the premier international airports of America.
It's quite impressive. Mario Diaz is a boss. And this is on top of the fact that we can also hit a few international markets from Hobby too nowadays. If there were more terminal space we may already have had a couple more flights too, but D is full.

Btw Istanbul is flown by Turkish if I'm not mistaken.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:00 PM

10,031 posts, read 6,730,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
It's quite impressive. Mario Diaz is a boss. And this is on top of the fact that we can also hit a few international markets from Hobby too nowadays. If there were more terminal space we may already have had a couple more flights too, but D is full.

Btw Istanbul is flown by Turkish if I'm not mistaken.
The airport has plans to build a new terminal D. They just finished the Terminal C north and contracted the construction company, so the new Terminals D "Mickey Leland Terminal" will begin construction soon. And yes. It would've helped have more foreign carriers had we already had the new terminal built by now. Not only for airplane space, but also because a lot of carriers want to start Houston service, but they demand to have space for a lounge in the airport. And the new terminal D has lounge space.

A few other long haul international airlines might be starting Houston service soon, but yes space is limited at certain times.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,761,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It cannot be considered ''premier'' until they get Customs for arrivals back into the US staffed properly and working more efficiently. What they have right now is embarrassing, and if people are transiting through Houston they run the risk of missing their connecting domestic flights if their layovers are less than 4 hours.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,052,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Economy Plus isn't Premium Economy. Take a look at Lufthansa's Premium Economy offering (or just about any non-domestic carrier) and you'll see it's very different than anything United offers. Special seats, special meal service, amenity kits and so on. Premium Economy on Lufthansa is as good or better than domestic first on United. Economy Plus is just a couple of extra inches of legroom, with zero difference in class of service.

Here's the new Premium Economy offering Delta is going to roll out. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...m-economy.html
United/Lufthansa/British should look at the middle eastern airlines. Their least tier is as good as the premium whatever of the European airlines in terms of food, baggage and entertainment. And also cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: