Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:42 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

It says a lot that people support "toll roads" and are against rail transportation.

Amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 03:35 PM

220 posts, read 173,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Given our respective track records, my money is not on emulating the actions of "third world" countries.
I was assuming too much, for your info most advanced nations have had bullet trains for years, I thought you were much more informed.

Spain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIKPvGKLCag

Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2aS5yiWhJY

Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60c2tevVhm4

China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68jGZ-E1Qa4

The list goes on and on.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
I was assuming too much, for your info most advanced nations have had bullet trains for years, I thought you were much more informed.

Spain

Japan

Germany

China

The list goes on and on.
I didn't realize those were the kind of countries you consider "third world". And there's no doubt those trains are pretty to look at and fun to ride but the videos tell me nothing about the economics or demographics.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:02 PM

220 posts, read 173,240 times
"Advanced" countries have had bullet trains for years. Developing countries are acquiring bullet trains today. Hence Peru. You do have a reading comprehension issue.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
"Advanced" countries have had bullet trains for years. Developing countries are acquiring bullet trains today. Hence Peru. You do have a reading comprehension issue.
You do have a communications issue. You said "third world" countries were building bullet trains, I said we need not emulate third world countries, and you respond with bullet trains in advanced countries. So what? We need not be emulating Europe or Asia either. The fact that we do not have bullet trains does not make us less advanced, it means we choose another path.

If we're so backwards in development, maybe they should be sending us developmental aid?

In time, I have a feeling you're another one of those liberals that see anything and everything the USA does as bad.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:02 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
https://www.forbes.com/sites/salvato.../#1f7f6ada329a

"...The Texas Central rail project may or may not go forward. But from a technical standpoint, it has the best business case of any high-speed rail project in America. That's probably why it is the only one that promises to rely entirely on private financing. Twenty-first century rail isn't about density and mass transit. It's about land and distance -- and Texas has both."

Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
The fact that we do not have bullet trains does not make us less advanced, it means we choose another path.
Such as a less advanced path?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Such as a less advanced path?
Such as another more cost effective path that does not require 50% income tax and dependence on someone else for our national security.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Such as another more cost effective path that does not require 50% income tax and dependence on someone else for our national security.
  • How does this bullet train require 50% income tax when this bullet train is primarily relying on private investments?
  • Who would we have to depend on for our national security if this train was built?

Quote:
It is meant to serve Texas A&M University, which is about 25 miles west of the proposed Brazos Valley station.

Texas Central has said that all three stations will spur development in their respective areas. A company statement Monday said Texas Central has already reached an agreement with Northwest Mall owners to redevelop the site into a transportation hub that will include retail stores, restaurants and hotels.

“We want to attract as many Texans to ride the train as possible,” Keith said.
Sounds like a more advanced path and investment to me.

Bullet train developers want to turn Houston's Northwest Mall into major transit hub

Old 02-11-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
  • How does this bullet train require 50% income tax when this bullet train is primarily relying on private investments?
  • Who would we have to depend on for our national security if this train was built?
I had the impression you were diverging into a more general issue of bullet trains as a national strategy than about this one particular line. I don't see any other lines being proposed with private investment. To build a network of bullet trains would cost hundreds of billions of dollars, which would require large tax increases or diverting the military budget.

I've already said I have no objections IF this line is built with private investment as long as the public is protected from holding the bag in the end. And that's a big IF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston