Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:21 PM

35 posts, read 60,421 times

Advertisements

Anyone’s kid get accepted after being waitlisted at Awty or AOS? Or is it just a nice way of saying rejected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 06:50 AM

86 posts, read 132,852 times
Actually most Wait Lists /Wait Pools are legitimate. In your post you mentioned Awty and AOS. Competitive schools often attract great kids who will no doubt have options. What the Admissions Office usually will do is make offers to students knowing that some will choose other schools, some may not work due to financial reasons and some may back out if they are moved from another school's Wait Pool. All students in the Wait Pool/ on the Wait List usually are qualified (and hopefully students a school will accept if there's room -otherwise why have a Wait Pool?). Wait Pools/ Wait Lists are necessary to fill a class in the event that the Admissions Office is not able to fill a class with the first round of accepted students. Most of Houston's schools are members of an organization called Houston Area Independent Schools. One of the organization's rules is that no school may require a family to enroll prior to April 11, 2018. Between now and April 11th families are making decisions on where to enroll their children. Generally accepted families will be letting AOS and Awty know their decisions in the next two to three weeks. Students accepted to those schools and not enrolled by the April 11th deadline will likely lose their spot. If anything has shifted, I imagine you'll be hearing from those schools around the April 11th timeframe.

Because of your doubts, and the fact that you don't have a ranking, I'm suspecting that Awty and AOS have moved to the Wait Pool system as opposed to a Wait List. Wait Lists are usually ranked -if a spot opens up, a school would reach out to Student #1's parents, then Student #2's parents, etc.

A Wait Pool System is where most schools are going. It means that if a spot opens up a school will consider "Which student is the best fit for the spot that we have available?." -Usually this is something considered at the Middle and Upper School Level, but it allows Admissions to consider if a class needs more boys/girls, whether they might want more athletes or musicians, or some other characteristic from an applicant to complement the class.

I know the Wait List/Wait Pool is a difficult place to be, but you may want to wait it out. Hopefully in the event that your child doesn't move in the Wait Pool, I hope you also have a back up.

Best wishes, and hoping your child gets to attend the school that's the best fit.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:51 PM

Thank you Kasb713! that was extremely helpful.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:39 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Legit...

I have a friend who was put on a wait list for his son. It took about a year, but his son got in eventually, so there is just a lot of parents who want to put their kids in that school. Hang in there!

Old 03-18-2018, 01:59 AM

55 posts, read 66,098 times
Be patient. Some families will drop come April 11th. Also important what grade you're applying to. If it's a natural entry point you have better chances.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
Summer is also typically when most people with school age kids try to move.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 16,557 times
We are sitting in several lower school wait pools... fingers turning into raisins. ;-) AOS is one of them. I hope something opens up as we are zoned to an under-performing school (I used to teach in HISD - this school was on the TEA's 'bad' list several years ago).

Old 03-28-2018, 10:49 AM

399 posts, read 641,817 times
I know its hard but be patient. Most new families have to confirm and make deposits by mid April. For families already at a school many require withdrawal by mid-end of April too. So you should see significant movement in WL by end of April.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:55 AM

NOT AN EUPHEMISM!! LEGIT!!!
thank you all!

Old 04-13-2018, 12:34 PM

86 posts, read 132,852 times
Congratulations. I was actually thinking about you a few days ago.

I hope that you'll tell all of the schools your child won't be attending so that they may be able to let those people who might be in the situation your child was in know that a spot has opened up. Glad it turned out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: