Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:26 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times

Advertisements

Perry without a doubt!! Lennar Homes are CHEAP. You made the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 03:48 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
I vote none of the above. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:36 PM

30 posts, read 53,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoolie View Post
We decided to go with perry 1984 plan thankyou guys
That is the plan I have too. I will be closing in a week and half. My experience with Perry has been very good up to this point.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:31 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
Just make sure you have an inspection company come thru and inspect everything. I wish we had that done on our new home but we thought . . . New home. . . No mistakes. Well. . . Cost cuts are there but where you wouldn't think to look. Like the roof. Or the A/C. The structure. These are things an inspection company can go over and tell you what needs to be done. Then the builder has to come in and fix them, especially if it's a code violation.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Just make sure you have an inspection company come thru and inspect everything. I wish we had that done on our new home but we thought . . . New home. . . No mistakes. Well. . . Cost cuts are there but where you wouldn't think to look. Like the roof. Or the A/C. The structure. These are things an inspection company can go over and tell you what needs to be done. Then the builder has to come in and fix them, especially if it's a code violation.
I am with you on that and I have Chuck Evans with homecert inspecting my house Tuesday morning.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:15 PM

Good job. I'm glad you're getting it inspected.

The Perry home next door had structural problems from the start. The arch in front was supported on the garage roof on one side. . . And the joists in the garage couldn't handle the load. You can easily tell if that'll be a problem: The arch above the front door should have equal columns supporting the weight.

Another was the roof. They didn't put caps on their outlet vents (I think that is what they're called).

-----------------

If you don't have gutters all the way around your house, get them installed. It may not rain often here but when it does, it pours. Gutters are very important!

And along that thought - Make sure the back yard is graded - Not flat. The property should slope so the water goes out to the street and doesn't puddle.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:18 PM

7 posts, read 10,991 times
My cousin built a Lennar home and he says it was the worst decision of his life. Ok builder.... But they really messed his home up. Perry and Highland are two of the best builders I've ever seen. I'm from Ohio and I was blown away by how nice a Perry Home is. In Ohio a Perry Home would be almost a million dollar home.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Good job. I'm glad you're getting it inspected.

The Perry home next door had structural problems from the start. The arch in front was supported on the garage roof on one side. . . And the joists in the garage couldn't handle the load. You can easily tell if that'll be a problem: The arch above the front door should have equal columns supporting the weight.

Another was the roof. They didn't put caps on their outlet vents (I think that is what they're called).

-----------------

If you don't have gutters all the way around your house, get them installed. It may not rain often here but when it does, it pours. Gutters are very important!

And along that thought - Make sure the back yard is graded - Not flat. The property should slope so the water goes out to the street and doesn't puddle.
My inspection caught a number of minor issues and the PM had them all done in a day and a half. I was really impressed with the inspector and so was the builder....he said he will use him if he moves.

The rain we recently had was a good test for my drainage. They did grade my yard but they are going to modify it on the sides as it was holding too much water.

I had them add the gutters in the backyard. Thanks for the tips.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:54 AM

Glad to help! Enjoy your new home!

A good inspector is worth his weight in gold. Honest.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:58 AM

The builder can put in French drains if your back yard isn't draining right.

On the gutter down spouts -- Make sure you have those concrete troughs that direct the water away from the foundation. We have long deep ones. I guess they come in all sizes.

In front we put a barrier of gravel between the flower bed and the house. That keeps dirt away from the house and it detours termites.

You ought to have a bug company contract -- Ask your neighbors. We get termite inspection done every year and have a contract with them -- Great selling point if we ever sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: