Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 PM

90 posts, read 62,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
This is the new reality thanks to climate change. People have to think differently about their investment into real estate... a winner today could be a loser tomorrow. Don't over-invest. Flood in Texas, fires in California, Florida communities now underwater for months. People who had to walk away from their houses here in Houston at a loss didn't see it coming. Don't over-invest.
Plan to rent first so I can get a feel. Goal was to buy later on but you make a good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 01:36 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpearce88 View Post
Wow didn’t know you could avoid a flood plan all together
You can. See this map: https://www.harriscountyfemt.org/

I am outside of any floodplain (Zone X) but surrounded, so although my street didn't flood during Harvey it was impossible to get out until the "moat" drained off. That actually happens once every few years.

In the case where you are sitting on a "high" spot (say 5-10 ft higher than the surrounding area), many times it is due to a fault running through your area. Before you buy a house, I advise finding documentation for the land the neighborhood was built on-- If the developer did things correctly, the fault was left as green space. I remember seeing on the news a developer put big fancy homes on top of a fault in The Woodlands, which crept and damaged a house pretty bad. No recourse for the homeowner through insurance, and lawsuits were dismissed. Different subject, but the point is you could be 'high & dry' yet exposed to another problem around here.

So I agree real estate around here is better left as a place to live and treat as a piggy bank rather than a crap shoot for hitting it rich.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:42 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Flood Plain isn't the only consideration. Many of the newer homes on the SW side of town in the flood plain are elevated 3-4 feet off the ground and wont flood even if the older homes do. I would first narrow down the part of town you want to be in that gives you an easy commute then you can narrow it inside there based on all the factors. Just trying to avoid anything remotely in a flood plain is going to limit you more then you need.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Flood Plain isn't the only consideration. Many of the newer homes on the SW side of town in the flood plain are elevated 3-4 feet off the ground and wont flood even if the older homes do. I would first narrow down the part of town you want to be in that gives you an easy commute then you can narrow it inside there based on all the factors. Just trying to avoid anything remotely in a flood plain is going to limit you more then you need.
That’s what I plan on doing. Finding a neighborhood first. Never would’ve known about those homes being elevated. So I guess the flood plan only helps so much.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:56 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
I am not in the 500 year flood plain but flooded in Harvey because they opened the dams. Buy flood insurance no matter what.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
So I’m looking in Atascocita/Humble. Heard the commute to downtown wasn’t too bad.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I am not in the 500 year flood plain but flooded in Harvey because they opened the dams. Buy flood insurance no matter what.
Wow. So you weren’t in any of the flood plans and it happened? Guess flood plans really don’t matter

Old 12-05-2019, 06:41 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Commute from Atascocita can be bad if you are in the back as 1960 has terrible traffic. Be close to the freeway or look at Fall Creek. Humble itself is the area around 1960 and Hwy 59 and isnt that nice.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Commute from Atascocita can be bad if you are in the back as 1960 has terrible traffic. Be close to the freeway or look at Fall Creek. Humble itself is the area around 1960 and Hwy 59 and isnt that nice.
Hmm. I’ll look for something close to the highway then. Thanks

Old 12-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I was also told some areas have park and rides to get into downtown. Guess I can look into that too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston