Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 11:20 AM

83 posts, read 124,945 times

Advertisements

My son will be starting UH main campus in January. He is looking at riding Metro from Kingwood, or Townsen in Humble, to downtown and then transfer to another bus that will take him to UH main campus. We're looking at the Metro website, but it is pretty confusing. Does anybody have any experience traveling this route using Metro and local bus transportation? Stops and points of connections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 11:43 AM

2,551 posts, read 4,060,106 times
Did you try the feature where you put in your starting point and destination, and it maps the route for you? it should give you a few options.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:44 AM

15,520 posts, read 7,551,940 times
Call Metro, they will help you. You can also use the ridemetro.org site to get the route from the various drop off points downtown.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:20 PM

83 posts, read 124,945 times
Thank you houston-nomad and WRM20 for the advice

Old 12-28-2019, 04:38 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,571,698 times
He can drive to the Convention District and get dropped off at TSU/UH Athletics station, which will take him both to TSU & UH. The good thing is that he'll be dropped off between both universities.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:54 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,069,796 times
Going from the Townsen Park & Ride to downtown - and then transferring to the Purple Line rail to UH would be about an hour trip and not too awful. Starting at the Kingwood Park & Ride would take longer of course, but might be more convenient for him?

Old 12-29-2019, 09:10 AM

342 posts, read 804,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
He can drive to the Convention District and get dropped off at TSU/UH Athletics station, which will take him both to TSU & UH. The good thing is that he'll be dropped off between both universities.
If you can drive to UH, it is better. I drive from The Woods start from 6:30 am and be there at school around 7:20 am on average. And I drive like a very mature male, slow. All this depends on the traffic and accident. All I have to say is to use I-10 East.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:52 AM

1,742 posts, read 1,038,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinet maker View Post
My son will be starting UH main campus in January. He is looking at riding Metro from Kingwood, or Townsen in Humble, to downtown and then transfer to another bus that will take him to UH main campus. We're looking at the Metro website, but it is pretty confusing. Does anybody have any experience traveling this route using Metro and local bus transportation? Stops and points of connections?
The METRORail purple line will drop him off right in front of TDECU stadium on Scott Street. I use the rail for all UH football games.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2019, 11:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,465,724 times
Basically take the Park-and-Ride to Downtown and get off the bus closest to Rusk Street in order to transfer to the light rail line going to UH. (He might have to walk the opposite direction for the closest light rail platform.)

The light rail stop depends on where his first class is on the campus. The stadium stop for the west side (liberal arts and humanities) or the south stop for the east side of campus (student union and professions).

Going home do the steps in reverse order. Once Downtown, it might be wise to go to the end of the line and walk one block back to the park-and-ride stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
If you can drive to UH, it is better.
And expensive. But it's the realistic option to get to class on time.

Luckily the light rail is more reliable than the 77 bus--since the arrivals are posted on the electronic message board and announced audibly. But I was surprised that it took the same amount of time despite being on an exclusive ROW with priority crossings. The curve in the route limits the speed somewhat.

If UH was in DT, I would have taken the Park-and-Ride hands down. The connection is what makes the difference between a pleasurable trip into a hair raising commute. The last mile walking to the building and classroom is probably the biggest stressor of all, whether driving or on the train. Plus the choices in the tunnel and downtown amenities are much better.

Last edited by KerrTown; 12-31-2019 at 12:08 AM..

Old 01-02-2020, 07:26 AM

8,897 posts, read 20,020,221 times
If he can drive there — would be a lot easier on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston