Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:25 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunBoHue View Post
Real estate is one of those things you can always depend on to appreciate over time.
Not always true. Very not true if you factor in inflation. Ask anyone who owned a home in an industrial Midwest city (especially Detroit), or a dying prairie town in the great plains, or even someone who bought in the Houston suburbs or Midland at the height of the last oil boom about how real estate always appreciates over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:32 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Arrow I drove by and it looked GREAT

I drove by on GP the other day and saw what looked like the lights for the polo field set up.

The community is super new so there's not much there yet. But what is there looked really nice.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the place. In fact, it's coming along quite nicely considering the state of the economy, and should really be a gem once complete.

[mod]orphaned comment/mod]

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-11-2009 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: orphaned - post(s) referred to has been removed

Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Bridgelands is owned by General Growth (The Woodlands Owner as well), and they are slated to go bankrupt. I see Bridgelands sitting for a very long time...untill the next boom comes.
I could see malls close if GGP isn't able to sell them. (Good for the independent owners of Memorial City, West Oaks, Greenspoint, Mall of the Mainland and Sharpstown plus Simon's Galleria.)

It's the wrong time to start large-scale housing developments. Bridgelands and Aliana might stay fallow for years to come. It reminds me of Governor's Place in Katy--older homes from the mid 80's and in the next section, newer homes from the mid 90's to complete the development.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:50 PM

11 posts, read 51,872 times
Default aliana

Full disclosure:

My company did the engineering, some land planning, and platting for the first phase of Aliana. We are no longer actively involved in the project.

As a whole the Aliana Development Company is a somewhat sophisticated developer. The company has partners and I do know that some of these partners have done other projects although maybe not with the name that they are selling with. The people I have dealt with are in the Dallas area. This is a tough time to sell homes but I do know that they intend to keep developing.

You may not know this, but Fairfield was originally concepted and had some ground work done in the 80s but did not really take off till the early 90s. I guess what I'm saying is that the developers will probably do their best to get product on the groud but that it may take a while.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote & comment

Developers are in the business of creating communities for people to live and they don't have a crystal ball to know when a recession is coming.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-12-2009 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: orphaned - post you referred to has been removed

Old 01-05-2009, 03:46 PM

24 posts, read 90,337 times
Moderator cut: orphaned comment

That being said, I am a current resident of Aliana. I was the first to custom build. I saw the project plan and checked on the developer's previous projects and was impressed. They have a very good track record. Obviously, things have slowed down. Money and the real-estate market is tight. Fortunately, the Houston metropolitan area is mostly flat in real-estate while other areas of our country aren't faring nearly as well. Our market never went crazy.

Trees and landscaping have started. Street lights have been put in several sections (not mine, yet). The recreation center seems to be coming along nicely. Looks like they're almost done moving 1464 which should give us a near straight shot to the Westpark tollway. Just wish they could do something with West Belfort.

So, yes, things have slowed down but not stopped. It's a tight market. But it will get better. The thing you have to ask yourself is if you're willing to take a chance. The odds are good it will pay off judging by the developer's past performance. You can get a good deal now while the market sucks and if the development takes off, your equity will shoot up. I've supposedly already made about 20 grand according to the new base price of my floor plan including incentives. We've had several people move in in the past 2 months in our section. They haven't been flocking to the development but not for lack of interest. I'm hearing that most people just can't get approved for loans because of the credit market situation. Hopefully, this will change in the next few months.

The construction noise isn't so bad. It's just during the day. I believe they have to stop by 7 but it seems they usually stop at around 5ish. Monday through Saturday.

We do have problems with mice as this is a developing area but we just put glue pads in the garage and pantry and toss them out/replace as needed.

Also, if you do buy a new home, Aliana or anywhere, be sure to have a home alarm installed and activated as soon as possible. Some people are having their appliances stolen right after they close. It seems to be on the rise with the downward turn in the economy. If possible, have something installed before you close.

By the way, I went with Coventry homes. They have been extremely responsive to all my concerns even after closing. They have always responded within 1 to 2 days. I have had glass in my shower replaced because of an annoying mark. I've had my air vents adjusted for noise etc., etc. Very good quality builder. No regrets.

No, I don't work for them. I really am a buyer/resident.

As for "greed", what's wrong with it? Nothing. Now excessive greed is bad but anything in excess is bad. I don't think the Aliana builders have been excessive. If the vision they have for this development comes to fruition, I think the price range is about right. Supply and demand. What's wrong with setting a high price if people are willing to pay it? As for the recession, if Wall Street didn't see it coming, how would a home developer. Sure Wall Street caused it but you'd think they'd get out of the way if they saw it coming. Some the brightest minds didn't.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-11-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post(s) you referred to has/have been removed

Old 01-09-2009, 08:08 AM

You know, there's plenty of blame to go around. Harping on the home builders association is just another red-herring. We're all angry about the bail-outs but I don't understand what that has to do with Aliana. What we really need to be talking about is if Aliana is a viable development. Aliana is still progressing. It hasn't stopped. Your accusations that it is or will be a bankrupt development don't seem to be well founded. They are still advertising. Bill-boards, etc. Landscaping is coming along nicely. People are indeed still buying houses. That's not to say everything is rosy but that's about par for the course for all developments in this current economy. However, Aliana isn't showing the normal signs of being bankrupt.

Instead of changing the subject to greedy corporations, why not list facts about why Aliana isn't going to succeed? Angry theories and opinions aren't usually very helpful.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Actually the spec homes are what sell the fastest for whatever reason. at one point, perry had sold all their spec homes. it's actually pretty normal to have several spec homes available for those who don't want to go through the customization process. your facts don't really support your opinions. yes, homes aren't selling like hotcakes but that's really true of everywhere. Moderator cut: orphaned comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-11-2009 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post(s) you referred to has/have been removed. Please use the Report option before things get this out of control

Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
The funny thing about this thread is when it first started I took a drive down to Aliana just to see how it was going (actually just stopped by on my way to have lunch lol). Moderator cut: orphaned comment It's a nice concept, but it is definitely going to take a loooong time before it pan out.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-11-2009 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed. Please report trollers before it gets out of control again!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 PM

agreed usc619. it will take a few years for the concept to come to full fruition. but it's an ambitious concept tempered by a bad economy.

fyi I just found out centerpointe will be coming back out to finish installing the street lights for the other sections.

Also, HEB has inked the deal to build a store and Aliana has payed to have an elementary school built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston