Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 07:53 PM

18,144 posts, read 25,349,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Hate him or love him, Sylvester Turner along with Rice University have been the main forces driving these moves. He's particularly worked with Rice and TMC institutions to focus on tech related education which is why you've seen the new developments there.
HPE moved to Spring, TX - Harris County (Linda Hidalgo's jurisdiction) not to Houston
You have to drive down to Greenspoint before you see the first sign saying "Entering Houston"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
What should college students be majoring in to get jobs at these tech companies?
I'm an electrical engineer working on getting my PE license
Let's just say that when I get it, lots of doors are going to open for me.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:03 PM

9,963 posts, read 6,677,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
HPE moved to Spring, TX - Harris County (Linda Hidalgo's jurisdiction) not to Houston
You have to drive down to Greenspoint before you see the first sign saying "Entering Houston"
You’re right, forget the accelerator partnership between the city and Rice. Despite the fact that they were the ones who accelerated the related higher education and lured Amazon and Microsoft etc in. Despite that, HBE said “we are doing this because of Lina’s efforts not turners, or else we would’ve moved a few miles south”

Old 12-03-2020, 08:27 PM

1,746 posts, read 1,044,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
That's one way to look at it. Another is that companies recognize that inclusivity and diversity in their leadership and staff is a great way to maximize talent, and to ensure that you understand the needs of your customer.
While everything you said is true, that alone will not push companies to improve diversity. They will have to be held accountable to put actions behind their words. The biggest obstacle to improving diversity at the executive ranks (and I’m speaking specifically about ethnic diversity) is the lack of available talent. It’s easier to do at the entry level because you can change your recruiting practices, but at the higher levels it’s going to take some time to build up that pipeline of talent.

The George Floyd incident was an inflection point for companies/organizations all over the United States. I read recently that even the University of Texas changed the name of their football field to Earl Campbell/Ricky Williams Field. They also erected a statue for the first black athlete to letter in football at UT. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they do away with “The Eyes of Texas” school song.

Anyway, I guess we are off-topic but my point is that companies/organization are “under fire” to put actions behind their words when it comes to inclusion and diversity.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:34 PM

65 posts, read 59,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Crown Castle reached Fortune 500 status last year. It’s a telecommunications company that owns and manufacture cell towers.

Fertitta Entertainment just recently reached Fortune 500 status (tho it’s a private company so it won’t show) it began on Galveston Island and moved to Post Oak. To be fair, this company got its start via Mob money from the Maceo empire

Academy Sports + Outdoors is expected to debut on the Fortune 500 list next time around. Also a recently gone public business.

American National Insurance Company is nearing Fortune 500 status, grew rapidly the last few years. Started in Galveston and is still there.

High Radius is a Fintech company that’s been around for a while but didnt see rapid growth until recently. It’s now the first Fortune Cloud 100 company in Texas (Even Austin hasnt produced one of these. Most of these are in Cali).

Friedkin Group has been well beyond Fortune 500 status for a long time but its grown and diversified a lot recently. They now own AS Roma and Auberge Resorts Collection.

Camden Apartmwnts is one of the largest luxury residential real estate companies in the USA, also rapidly grown recently

I would include KBR, but that was a spin off company when Halliburton wanted to get rid of their engineering non oil related engineering assets. Non the less, they’re reaching Fortune 500 status.

These are some of the larger one I can think of right now. Hope this helps.
Just to correct one point, Austin actually does have one Fortune Cloud 100. A company called DISCO; ironically they started out here in Houston then relocated to Austin. Could've had two had they stayed.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:28 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,540,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
While everything you said is true, that alone will not push companies to improve diversity. They will have to be held accountable to put actions behind their words. The biggest obstacle to improving diversity at the executive ranks (and I’m speaking specifically about ethnic diversity) is the lack of available talent. It’s easier to do at the entry level because you can change your recruiting practices, but at the higher levels it’s going to take some time to build up that pipeline of talent.
Higher levels = more politics.

Push to improve diversity: companies have to be forced by the government to maintain certain mandated demographics.
They have to stop hiring based on skills/expertise/performance.
This practice is very discriminatory.

Biden/Harris can change things in a right direction!

Old 12-04-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Higher levels = more politics.

Push to improve diversity: companies have to be forced by the government to maintain certain mandated demographics.
They have to stop hiring based on skills/expertise/performance.
This practice is very discriminatory.

Biden/Harris can change things in a right direction!
Agree,
the wrong way to fix the problem

It has to be fixed at the root of the problem .... all schools K-12 should get the same funding per kid.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:11 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 12 days ago)

8,405 posts, read 5,565,119 times
Quote:
Does Spring have its own city government? I think its under Houston's rule.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:10 AM

6,296 posts, read 7,523,382 times
I think you all have overlooked the most influential actor on the areas behalf "The Greater Houston Partnership"

Build Your Business in Houston
Houston is one of the greatest cities in the world. The economy is strong, the culture is diverse, and the quality of life is spectacular. It all combines to make this the perfect place to do business. From energy to health care and aerospace to information technology, the Houston region offers a strong infrastructure to support these growing industries plus a thriving innovation landscape to launch the next generation of companies. Add in a highly trained and skilled workforce and you have the makings of one of the nation's strongest economies.

https://www.houston.org/membership/b...EaApkwEALw_wcB

Old 12-04-2020, 10:37 AM

15,579 posts, read 7,603,502 times
Quote:
Agree,
the wrong way to fix the problem

It has to be fixed at the root of the problem .... all schools K-12 should get the same funding per kid.
Bad idea, since costs are not yhe same everywhere, nor are the needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Does Spring have its own city government? I think its under Houston's rule.
Spring is an unincorporated census designated place in Hartis County, and in the ETJ of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston