Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 05:36 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
It's no bubble. Its that because Houston is so massive, you're looking in areas who's price reflect the cons. The most desired parts of Houston, even by DINK standards, pretty expensive. 10 miles out of the city? That isn't Humble or Spring. If that's the case? Then why did the city just break a 400k avg price last month based on the source posted.

For 300k or less? It's a tear down shack inside the city. A decent fixer upper in a hood. Or you're driving an hour in congestion. This metro is so big, you can fit two Charlotte's in here. That's why Humble looks cheap to you. But it's not Houston, and not 10/15 miles outside of downtown. Anecdotal, but if anything, I've gotten the sticker shock on the reverse side of the spectrum from people moving in.
To be fair he never said 10 miles from the city. I inferred from where he was looking he meant 10-15 miles from Downtown. You’re right. Humble is 20 miles away and Spring is 25. Both of them meet his criteria of being within an hour of the city.

I do agree the “bubble” comment was uncalled for. We actually live here and might know a thing or two about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 05:21 PM

30 posts, read 27,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
To be fair he never said 10 miles from the city. I inferred from where he was looking he meant 10-15 miles from Downtown. You’re right. Humble is 20 miles away and Spring is 25. Both of them meet his criteria of being within an hour of the city.

I do agree the “bubble” comment was uncalled for. We actually live here and might know a thing or two about the area.
Correct with first response.

I didn’t mean anything negative with the bubble comment, but that’s what I meant is knowing the area and not what’s outside of it. But that’s not negative, that’s just realistic. Why would anyone not moving know about or keep track of other markets? That applies to everyone really. For this situation I am familiar with market of quite a few cities and Houston’s is the best, and most affordable, and it’s not even close in what I, specifically was looking at. Well except Cleveland but that made sense to me.

Generally speaking a rust belt city is cheaper than sun belt, a worthwhile city anyways. But not Houston and so I was curious why, because as you said I do not know the area.

So in saying that to suggest it is actually expensive there or the inflation is somehow comparable to other worthwhile cities, is just something I have not seen or experienced. Which leads me to believe it’s simply an understandably lack of understand of other markets, considering my criteria.

People moving from Cali to where I am in SLC think our 600k median home price is cheap and could probably ask me why that is so just the same and I’d argue that ridiculously expensive for what SLC is and not understand just as well.

Fact is, and point is though, Houston’s offerings for my criteria is at this point unrivaled coming from someone who has invested a lot of time looking at about six different worthwhile cities, some much less so than Houston, so you can see why I was curious.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:18 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
when we need a new roof,company will use contractors who use subcontractors who employ illegal workers,how much do you think they are paid for a day 's work,I doubt it is even $75.

TX goes back to its roots,driving long horns and exploring oil,both require travelling,so texans dont mind buying a house far away and drive drive drive.
The guys who mown your lawn,they have no job security,you can tell them dont bother to come anymore,nothing they can do,I know a guy who pays the same as 40 years ago.
but 300k for a house you described,with a pool,how old is the house?
My lawn requires security clearance: US citizens only. The soil around my house is very unique so it's a trade secret and subject of export control.
Since no local contractor can prove they employ real US citizens, I mow my lawn myself.

Old 04-19-2022, 10:30 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omo33 View Post
Fact is, and point is though, Houston’s offerings for my criteria is at this point unrivaled coming from someone who has invested a lot of time looking at about six different worthwhile cities, some much less so than Houston, so you can see why I was curious.
https://www.hellolanding.com/blog/th...houston-texas/

Old 04-20-2022, 06:33 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
My lawn requires security clearance: US citizens only. The soil around my house is very unique so it's a trade secret and subject of export control.
Since no local contractor can prove they employ real US citizens, I mow my lawn myself.
I’m sure you can find US citizens that will mow your lawn,
All you have to do is pay them enough to do it.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:18 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Correct with first response.

I didn’t mean anything negative with the bubble comment, but that’s what I meant is knowing the area and not what’s outside of it. But that’s not negative, that’s just realistic. Why would anyone not moving know about or keep track of other markets? That applies to everyone really. For this situation I am familiar with market of quite a few cities and Houston’s is the best, and most affordable, and it’s not even close in what I, specifically was looking at. Well except Cleveland but that made sense to me.

Generally speaking a rust belt city is cheaper than sun belt, a worthwhile city anyways. But not Houston and so I was curious why, because as you said I do not know the area.

So in saying that to suggest it is actually expensive there or the inflation is somehow comparable to other worthwhile cities, is just something I have not seen or experienced. Which leads me to believe it’s simply an understandably lack of understand of other markets, considering my criteria.

People moving from Cali to where I am in SLC think our 600k median home price is cheap and could probably ask me why that is so just the same and I’d argue that ridiculously expensive for what SLC is and not understand just as well.

Basically, Houston doesn't have restrictions stopping new housing. So supply grows, keeping prices in check relative to other large metros. There was an article about 4-5 years ago showing how only 3 metros had supply outgrowing demand, Houston, Dallas and New York City. NY had all kinds of restrictions on what and how you could build and prices increased at the national rate or higher. Dallas and Houston had prices (at the time) staying relatively flat, with inflation around the rest of the country.

Houston is friendly to new development. Simple supply and demand.

Some people don't believe you because prices are starting to increase here, but its still less than the rate elsewhere and prices started lower relative to other large metros.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:31 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Houston is also the largest city POPULATION VS LAND AREA in the US up there with Phoenix, OKC, and Jacksonville

Old 04-21-2022, 10:47 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Thats pretty ridiculous. Its one thing to say you dont want undocumented immigrants its another to say they MUST be citizens regardless of if they are here legally. Unless you can make bombs with the soil around your house then no one is going to care.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:53 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
This really doesn’t need to be a debate, it’s easily provable.

Go to Zillow, put in say 325k max. With the only qualifier being an hour or less from the city and not in a completely disastrous area, crime or flood.

Next, feel free to compare what you find from where I am coming, Salt Lake City, UT. Or even where I am from, Charlotte, NC, or even where else I am considering…Jacksonville, FL. Spend some time to see what’s available and what’s recently sold. I’ve been doing it religiously everyday for the past 60 days.

Not sure why some think I am exaggerating. Simply look for yourself. It is easily doable. I think perhaps people in Houston are in a bubble not really knowing what’s going on outside of it, because yes, your housing prices and market and very very nice and are not even close to being impacted as much as most the nation, it appears anyway.

Also I did not mean I could have a brand new, 3000 sq ft all brick house 10 miles from city center with a pool and land. What I said was I could find any one of those things ‘if I want’ and it still be an affordable option in a nice area, just one of those things in another city, if not impossible, it will either not be affordable or not be in a good area.
Houston is very inexpensive for the city it is that is true and it is cheaper than SLC, however you really should go around those neighborhoods before you consider them steals.

If youre talking about being as close as possible to downtown in a desirable neighborhood that wont break the bank, youre really talking about Willowbend and Westbury. But about 1/5 of those neighborhoods did flood during Harvey. Of the 4/5 that didnt, you can grab a 1700-2000 square foot house for the high 300s and the low 400s. You can find one cheaper, but it will need significant work. While these neighborhoods themselves are safe, they are both close to very high crime areas.

As for the bubble comment, its highly patronizing considering Houstonians tend to be among the most global and diverse of all cities in the US. We dont live in a bubble, we just happen to know more about the city we live in that someone in Salt Lake City who looked on Zillow.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 04-21-2022 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-21-2022, 01:30 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Thats pretty ridiculous. Its one thing to say you dont want undocumented immigrants its another to say they MUST be citizens regardless of if they are here legally. Unless you can make bombs with the soil around your house then no one is going to care.
How US citizens can be here illegally? I think you have some problems with the logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston