Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 11:33 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times

Advertisements

I wish we had a good bus service or rail from Houston to Galveston
Funny thing is that there used to be a rail line connecting Houston to Galveston but it was removed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 12:20 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Funny thing is that there used to be a rail line connecting Houston to Galveston but it was removed
There are lots of rail lines in the USA (and especially Texas) that existed at a point in time that later got removed. The more that the infrastructure became centered around cars, the less

That’s one of America’s biggest mistakes. To build the future with the car in mind is completely ok. But to completely neglect transit and strip it away put this dang continent behind

Old 02-08-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Requiring this to keep it on the new page

Old 02-08-2024, 01:11 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
While I enjoy being able to sail from close to home, I do wonder…. Why are cruises sailing from Galveston more expensive than cruises sailing from Florida?

And will a 4 terminal port vs 2 terminal port help improve our prices?
It's a shorter distance from Florida to the various Caribbean destinations than it is from Galveston. You think?

Old 02-08-2024, 01:34 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
It's a shorter distance from Florida to the various Caribbean destinations than it is from Galveston. You think?
I'm sure that has something to do with it, and I wonder if Paraguanero isn't also onto something with the economies of scale in the larger Florida ports helping keep pricing down. With the new terminal, I believe I read Galveston will be the 4th largest cruise port in the US, still behind Port Canaveral FL, Miami, FL and one other (I want to say NY/NJ).

The new cruise line coming in is MSC, which is the 3rd largest cruise line in the world, Swiss owned, and primarily serves Europe. I'm not familiar with it at all, but I'm curious where it ranks price and amenities wise compared to the other lines that leave from Galveston like Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Disney.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:50 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I'm sure that has something to do with it, and I wonder if Paraguanero isn't also onto something with the economies of scale in the larger Florida ports helping keep pricing down. With the new terminal, I believe I read Galveston will be the 4th largest cruise port in the US, still behind Port Canaveral FL, Miami, FL and one other (I want to say NY/NJ).

The new cruise line coming in is MSC, which is the 3rd largest cruise line in the world, Swiss owned, and primarily serves Europe. I'm not familiar with it at all, but I'm curious where it ranks price and amenities wise compared to the other lines that leave from Galveston like Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Disney.
I would think economies of scale would be obtained more through the size (capacity) of the ships and not necessarily the size of the port, unless what you meant was bigger ports mean they accommodate bigger ships.: cool:

Old 02-08-2024, 01:58 PM

357 posts, read 129,636 times
Galveston is already the 4th largest Cruise Port in the US and the largest outside of Florida

For 2023:
1. Miami
2. Canavarel (lots of Disney folk)
3. Everglades
4. Galveston

New York/NJ is 6th, after St Thomas and just ahead of New Orleans.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:59 PM

679 posts, read 273,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

The Port of Galveston is currently the 4th largest cruise port in the US, prior to the addition of the 4th terminal.

1. Port Canaveral (Florida)
2. Port Miami (Florida)
3. Port Everglades (Florida - Fort Lauderdale)
4. Port of Galveston
5. Cape Liberty Cruise Port (New Jersey)
6. Port of San Juan (Puerto Rico)
7. Port of New Orleans (Louisiana)
8. Port Tampa Bay (Florida)
9. Port of Seattle (Washington)
10. Port of Los Angeles (California)
https://www.cruisehive.com/busiest-u...meports/101284

Old 02-08-2024, 02:06 PM

679 posts, read 273,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
As other mentioned, one of many interurban lines that used to run all over the country. FWIW, a round trip fare was $2, roughly $45 in today's money. It was privately built and privately operated. It operated for 25 years, stopping in 1936.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
7 day cruises in SoFlo are cheaper than 7 day cruises from Galveston too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston