Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:47 PM

20 posts, read 50,583 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]We are moving to TX and need to find a location to live that is safe with a short commute. Although I’m not sure what the neighborhood is called, the job location appears to be on the southwest corner of West Park Tollway and Sam Houston North Tollway in Houston. We were told to consider Sugar Land. Are there any other close, safe neighborhoods around this location that would be a better choice or is this our best option? Also, how far is Sugar Land from U of Houston w/ traffic?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As for Sugar Land itself, which are the best neighborhoods to live in with good commute times and the best public schools (there seems to be a lot of different schools in Sugar land). Our housing budget is up to 400k. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:53 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
You might also consider Cinco Ranch in Katy, Since you can take west park from it to BW8.
In Sugar Land good School are located in:
New Territory, Riverstone, Telfair, First Colony, Commonwealth, Avalon, etc.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
the job location is called Westchase business district.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:29 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Well for 400k you could live close to work in either Nottingham Forest and parts of Wilchester, commuting 5 whole minutes to work. Older homes in a traditional neighborhood with some of the best schools in the Houston Metro (Spring Branch ISD). Also, it's a neighborhood that is firm in its value and appreciation.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 PM

20 posts, read 50,583 times
Is Houston proper really a viable option?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:11 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
To explore Sugar Land schools, my favorite Web site is GreatSchools.net - the parent reviews are interesting.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 AM

433 posts, read 1,930,205 times
Default Sugar Land School District Map?

I'm curious and can't seem to find this on-line. Is there a map of Sugar Land with the borders for the different elementary schools and then one with the high schools?

Also, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if any of the elementary schools offer a foreign language? (ie Spanish, Mandarin, etc). That seems to be a trend in some districts.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
I'm curious and can't seem to find this on-line. Is there a map of Sugar Land with the borders for the different elementary schools and then one with the high schools?

Also, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if any of the elementary schools offer a foreign language? (ie Spanish, Mandarin, etc). That seems to be a trend in some districts.
I'm not sure about a map or the foreign languages but you can look up a specific address at the Fort Bend ISD Web site here.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:05 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimieoliver View Post
Is Houston proper really a viable option?

Absolutely. Spring Branch ISD is an excellent system. Housing zoned to those school (south of I-10) are some of the best and most exclusive in the Metro area. You just have to be willing to live in an older home. But an older home versus a crazy commute is a no brainer in my book.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 AM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
Not all of SBISD is all that. I would say if you are in 77024 and Zoned to Memorial HS...you are better off than Strattford. Further out Westside is decent. In Sugar Land, 77479 & FBISD is where the best schools are located. Again, In Houston, 77024 with Memorial HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Absolutely. Spring Branch ISD is an excellent system. Housing zoned to those school (south of I-10) are some of the best and most exclusive in the Metro area. You just have to be willing to live in an older home. But an older home versus a crazy commute is a no brainer in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston