Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 PM

152 posts, read 537,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Oh no, Naperville feel? Guess I better pick Katy or see if I can afford West Houston to get closer to the Arlington Heights feel I desire.

One huge difference between Naperville/Sugar Land vs. Katy/Woodlands is... diversity. Naperville/Sugar Land have a high pct of minorities, especially Asians, while Katy/Woodlands are 80-90% whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 AM

433 posts, read 1,929,397 times
Besides the additional diversity, what is the difference between Arlington Heights and Naperville (and therefore Woodlands and katy)? I've lived in both AH and Naperville and don't notice much of a difference, except a few diff ammenities (ie Riverwalk in Naperville, but nice indoor pool in AH). Schools are similar btw district 204/203/214, avg income and house prices are similar, low crime, cute downtowns, close to shopping, good libraries and park districts. I am assuming (and I shouldn't assume, but just from what I've read on here) that Katy, Sugar Land and the Woodlands are also very similar. Is there a different "feel" in each one?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Katy and Sugar Land look really similar to me. The Woodlands, however, has a different type of look. More forest like. To see what I mean, look at the picture at the top of this page: The Woodlands

I'm new to town but natives can tell you if it is true that compared to Sugar Land and Katy, The Woodlands has a culture more oriented toward designer names and status. That's what we heard before we moved here.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Besides the additional diversity, what is the difference between Arlington Heights and Naperville
The diversity is good. I am biased against new developments that have no mature trees or nature. Naperville has newer subdivisions like this while AH has been built out far longer. Traffic in AH is more tolerable as well. I am against the sterile new development look. I go for established hoods. Now the older sections of naperville are georgious and their downtown gets a thumbs up.

I am amazed at the selection of hoods in Boom-town er Houston, rather.
Man you get a lot of house for the money compared to chicagoland.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I lived in the South Loop and Bucktown for 5 years around the turn of the century (that sounds weird), before being transferred to Houston. Both are great cities although Chicago is more walkable and neighborhoods have more character. You will get almost 2x the house in H-town. But there are tons of good restaurants and the economy is strong and diverse. Oh yeah, no State income tax.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:22 PM

433 posts, read 1,929,397 times
hee hee. "turn of the century".. it took me a minute.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:18 PM

16 posts, read 50,301 times
Default I Made That Move

I did the same thing almost 4 years ago. I was born and reared in Chicago but relocated because of the cost of living and a drastic change in my life (I suffered a stroke). If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Honey

Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 AM

415 posts, read 506,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
One huge difference between Naperville/Sugar Land vs. Katy/Woodlands is... diversity. Naperville/Sugar Land have a high pct of minorities, especially Asians, while Katy/Woodlands are 80-90% whites.
I'm not so sure Katy is. Maybe a quick look at Katy ISD's stats would help.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,091 times
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy25 View Post
Ok, I have lived in Chicago my whole life and now my husband and I are thinking about moving to Houston. Has anyone done this? Was it a good move? I'm a little scared but I think it will be good for me and my family.
Hi Daisy25,

I was just reading about Houston because my husband and I are relocating down there this month for a job. I could relate to what you said in your forum, and was curious to see how you like living there in Houston,and what your thoughts are now looking back.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:30 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
I've noticed a sort of trend for people that have moved/are moving to Houston... they seem to be people that are married and probably have small children. Or had their job transferred, or see more economical freedom.

But, as for me, I really think Chicago is a place that I must live in at least for a few years when I'm out and about living on my own( mid 20's ). Chicago seems like a gorgeous place to live; hopefully I will have a job where I can live within 5-10 mins. from downtown(Lincoln Park/Wicker Park/River North etc.). Sometimes I just cant wait to jump on a plane and fly over there;
Luckily I had the pleasure of visiting in early June. I was literally mesmerized and hooked! Nothing like it here in Houston.

So I have a question for all the former Chicagoans... Do you think that I'm being a little deranged and it really isn't all that I think it is???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston