Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM

28 posts, read 150,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddyhorn View Post
So obviously the OP was looking for something more specific. Perhaps he/she wanted a neighborhood filled with predominately college educated, Barack Obama supporters, who joined or were exposed to historically black sororities and frats, who listen to neo soul, are familiar with blogs like verysmartbrothers or watch internet shows like awkward black girl, and drown themselves with mimosas every Sunday afternoon after church.

I feel insulted, and stereotyped. Actually, I prefer to watch Girls, I laugh at adults who cling to their greek letters in middle age and Pachelbel and Stevie Wonder reign supreme in our home.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 PM

240 posts, read 452,145 times
any of you posters grew up in a houston, majority caucasian, suburb pre-2000's? did you face alot of discrimination because you were black moving into the suburbs. i want to hear from a perspective of the 30+ year old crowd. i known segregation exist in the south all over back in the day but im from nashville and even in the 1960s and 1970s, black people lived in the suburbs although not many. most of the families were headed by accountants, managers, teachers, engineers, nurses, doctors, and lawyers.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:22 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
This thread wasn't and isn't about discrimination. It's about primarily black communities to live in.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM

184 posts, read 314,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mee9mee9 View Post
any of you posters grew up in a houston, majority caucasian, suburb pre-2000's? did you face alot of discrimination because you were black moving into the suburbs. i want to hear from a perspective of the 30+ year old crowd. i known segregation exist in the south all over back in the day but im from nashville and even in the 1960s and 1970s, black people lived in the suburbs although not many. most of the families were headed by accountants, managers, teachers, engineers, nurses, doctors, and lawyers.
It's been that way for years. It's idea that racism is more predominant in the south is BS pushed by the left. It's no more racist, I'd say even less, than any area in the NE, E or W coast.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Upscale black neighborhoods? There are none in Houston. Atlanta might be the only city in the country with that.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
I don't have a problem with neighbors of other races, in fact I have always been the minority in my neigborhood. I thought that it would be nice for my son to live in a neighborhood with more people who looked like him.

I think this is a completely reasonable desire, but if a white person stated this preference using these words, the howls and accusations of "racism" would be deafening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_tx View Post
It's been that way for years. It's idea that racism is more predominant in the south is BS pushed by the left. It's no more racist, I'd say even less, than any area in the NE, E or W coast.
100% true. Northerners tend to barricade themselves in lily-white neighborhoods (often sub-divided into white sub-categories like Irish, Polish, etc.) and then talk about how racist the South is.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I support you guys, but it's really annoying that this threads always end up the same
I wish the people that whine about this could look like black people when they move into an upscale neighborhood... then they'll understand why people keep on opening this threads

Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
Certain areas in 3rd Ward are very nice with big homes and well maintained yards. Riverside Terrance for sure. There is also a few neighborhoods surrounding Acres Homes that are decent, my dad lives in that area and there are plenty of middle to upper middle class blacks living there.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM

9 posts, read 23,655 times
Though i have never grew up in Houston, but I did went to a elementary school where it is predominately blacks and there is only about 9 students out of the 200 students that were Asians (myself and my siblings), Whites, and Hispanics.

I faced alot discrimination from the black folks even the teachers because of my race. Anyways, thank goodness that my family moved out from that horrible city.

Try Sage apartments, or chimney rocks apartment. There are alot of blacks people that are professional that live there :-)

Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskylover2013 View Post
I faced alot discrimination from the black folks even the teachers because of my race. Anyways, thank goodness that my family moved out from that horrible city.
Well, it happens,
and if you have a bad image of black people because of that... nobody can say anything.

The problem is that there's a lot of people that have a bad image of black people and they have never even met one (believe me, I've met people like that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston