Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:04 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times

Advertisements

As hot as it is here, fencing blocks any thought of a breeze and I imagine a solid brick fence would really make it stifling in a back yard. Seems like the wood would at least breath a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 03:07 PM

354 posts, read 2,429,982 times
What about iron/metal fences?? I don't see a lot of those either...does the fact that most neighborhoods are HOA's matter?

Old 09-20-2008, 03:45 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Yes most HOA's requires that everyone have the same fencing to keep it uniform. Metal might be more maintenance and would be harder to enforce people to keep it rust-free, etc.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:35 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
As hot as it is here, fencing blocks any thought of a breeze and I imagine a solid brick fence would really make it stifling in a back yard. Seems like the wood would at least breath a bit.
A brick wall around a back yard?! Just add a rotisserie and crank and baste hourly .....Seriously, brick holds heat much more than wood. Here in Houston (or anywhere in the deep South for that matter) a small back yard with a brick wall surrounding it would become as hot as an oven by noon and remain so long into the night. Now if you have an estate size back yard it wouldn't matter much but anything smaller than a quarter acre would be unusable from the added heat the walls would put off.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:20 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,541 times
I think the main problem with wood fences that have fallen is that most builders and p.o.s. fence companies dont set the posts in concrete. I noticed that several fences have parts that fell when I looked closer the posts were not very deep and no concrete. i will find out who the contractor that did the fences are and see what they say, then trash their reputation on the internet

Old 09-20-2008, 06:16 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
I should have removed a few of the wood pieces before the storm to let the wind move through. This is an idea I will use when I rebuild the fence.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-20-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 06:32 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
I think the main problem with wood fences that have fallen is that most builders and p.o.s. fence companies dont set the posts in concrete. I noticed that several fences have parts that fell when I looked closer the posts were not very deep and no concrete. i will find out who the contractor that did the fences are and see what they say, then trash their reputation on the internet
The ones around my area have concrete, but they were not set very deep at all. I just wasn't paying attention before the storm. Otherwise a few additional metal posts attached to the wood ones would have prevented the fence from being knocked over. Now I am looking at an all day job at least (that's after getting all materials I need) instead of just a few hours it would have taken to take preventive steps.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-20-2008 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 08:37 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Our wood fence looks raggedy but miraculously, it didn't fall down. Upon closer inspection, it seems that the metal poles braced it up. Or maybe davidt1 was right that having a few missing pieces helped the wind move through.

There are wood fences down all over New Territory, so many of our neighbors weren't as lucky as we were.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,541 times
I was at the Home Depot today...50% of the people there were buying fences and posts! lots of fences down in Sugar Land. a lot of it was because of trees falling on them.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
my community has preformed concrete fences. its my backyard fence since my house is at the perimeter. the prefab posts have slots on them where 3 slabs slide into to form the walls. i dont think even a cat5 can scratch these. the neighboring community has the wooden ones. those fell. I guess we got our (HOA) money's worth after all. when my neighborhood was new someone crashed their car into our community walls and broke a slab. good thing the builder was still here or else they could be hard to replace.

wooden fences are prefered, eventho theyre cheaper its actually more pleasant looking that concrete. I couldnt stand looking at mine (feels like i'm in a prison) so I covered mine with fencing material etc. it feels cooler looking at wood that concrete.
I've seen wooden perimeter fences in some neighborhoods but the posts are concrete/brickface - those are not bad i bet. as for metal fences, aluminum fences are more popular now since they dont rust

I looked at my house just before the storm and thought about reinforcing the fence and the windows. around that time I was thinking the winds will be coming from the south but I noticed the clouds were moving southwards so i got confused and didnt do any reinforcement at all. it turned out the winds would come from the NE and slam into the broadside of my house and long side fencing. I thought its going to atleast lean inward after the storm. well it didnt, what happened was the winds slammed into my house and ricochet'd that force to the fences and pushed it outward anyway, its not too bad, it can hold another storm i hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston