Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,790,192 times

Advertisements

Since I have been here, I have been curious why people have wood fences in this hot, humid hurricane country instead of brick walls. Woods don't do well in this kind of weather whereas bricks will last practically forever. The hurricane just proved my point, knocking most them down. Is is the cost? City code prohibiting brick fence? I am curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 12:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times

....ahem.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:22 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,790,192 times
I would be able to find one too if I drive for miles and look really hard cause I haven't seen any in my zip code. I can show you 100 damaged wood fences for everyone of those. Clever response, but that doesn't answer my question.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:32 PM

166 posts, read 899,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I would be able to find one too if I drive for miles and look really hard cause I haven't seen any in my zip code. I can show you 100 damaged wood fences for everyone of those. Clever response, but that doesn't answer my question.
It's all about cost! When the builders put in the fences their gonna go with the lowest cost option available which would be to use wood versus brick which can be 5x or more costly than wood. Plus wood pickets are readily available at your local hardware store and easily transportable, whereas brick, you have to order from companies such as Acme and have them deliver it to your home via truck.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
FWIW, the wood fence around my porch held up just fine.

Cost factors into it, and I don't really see what you're getting at about the heat. Also, the brick fences will start crumbling over time as the ground under it sinks/shifts. The soils here are bad about that.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,546,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Also, the brick fences will start crumbling over time as the ground under it sinks/shifts. The soils here are bad about that.
Do you also get foundation problems?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
It's all about cost, the same way builders don't use 100% brick veneer unless you pay a pretty penny. Most of the fences around me held up ok, but they are about 12-13 years old. DavidT, the Sage/Kirk part of town is significantly older, which may have something to do with it (maintenance). I have about 275 feet of wooden fence, and a total of 35 feet dropped. Considering a line of trees snapped before and after it, it was most likely due to a small tornado. Most people here didn't have any fencing drop.

And yes, we will all get foundation problems someday due to the fault creep.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:35 PM

192 posts, read 505,068 times
this is just pure personal opinion, but wooden fences are far easier to replace over time. also, brick fences seem too "my territory," seem to block out the neighbor, and add a sort of dark quality to the backyard.

in my own childhood home (northwest houston), the wooden fence has been replaced maybe twice (over a 25 year period). it wasn't too big a deal, as i imagine a brick fence would be (it would most likely need to be replaced as the land shifted over time). my personal preference is a wrought iron fence or a landscaped stucco one, but the former lends no privacy & the latter doesn't match the area's style.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Many learned that brick fences don't hold up to high winds in Rita and cost more to replace. Even cider block that is not rebarred and filled with concrete destroys easily.Wood fences are easy to preplace and most of the fencing if in decent shape can be reused. During Rita insurance companies payed to replace wood fences and there were miles of one-two year old fencing section gotten for free all around where I live.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:36 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,790 times
Yep cost. In Cinco Ranch all fences that face main roads are brick, maintained by the community, but anyone whose yard faces other houses or a ditch (like mine) are wood. A LOT of people here had sections of fence fall, especially depending on how the house was situated, what was around, etc. We were lucky and didn't have any damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston