Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times

Advertisements

I live in Sugar Land city limits and work near the Galleria and it's 13.2 miles and if the freeway is backed up, there are at least 5 different back ways I can go.

Correction: I adjusted the google maps route for the way I actually go and it's 11.9 miles.

-Michael

Last edited by ZeroTX; 10-23-2008 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:24 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I ABSOLUTELY cannot stand from this urban sprawl that houston suffers from. The Williams Tower looks like the middle finger with all the little galleria buildings around it. WHY IS IT THERE it should be with the big downtown buildings. and there are all these other random building just popping up. And when i go out on the weekends the drive home KILS me because its so late and all i want to do is sleep; its so dangerous to drive on saturday and friday nights.

People complain about gas prices and traffic when they want to live in a house that is 40 mins. away! makes me just want to slap them.

The companies that are based in houston need to stop putting offices in Sugar Land; Katy; Tomball; Greenspoint and put it in downtown like all the other wonderful cities in the US (minus LA).
If you think traffic is bad now, then make downtown the only major employment center in the city and see what traffic looks like. Having multiple employment centers is part of what has allowed Houston to grow into the 4th largest city. Think of this region as 5 different smaller cities (inner loop/Galleria, Katy, Sugarland, Baytown/E Houston, and Spring/Woodlands) that simply grew together. Each one functions with one or more major areas of employment, where people can live and work in close proximity. If planned properly, you rarely need to leave one for the other.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,541 times
Quote:
I ABSOLUTELY cannot stand from this urban sprawl that houston suffers from. The Williams Tower looks like the middle finger with all the little galleria buildings around it. WHY IS IT THERE it should be with the big downtown buildings. and there are all these other random building just popping up. And when i go out on the weekends the drive home KILS me because its so late and all i want to do is sleep; its so dangerous to drive on saturday and friday nights.

People complain about gas prices and traffic when they want to live in a house that is 40 mins. away! makes me just want to slap them.

The companies that are based in houston need to stop putting offices in Sugar Land; Katy; Tomball; Greenspoint and put it in downtown like all the other wonderful cities in the US (minus LA).
You do realize you could always move to New York City, don't you? Or London. Or Paris.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
If you think traffic is bad now, then make downtown the only major employment center in the city and see what traffic looks like.
Not with the Commuter Rail. I hope Houston will get a commuter train like Metra in Chicago.

Quote:
Having multiple employment centers is part of what has allowed Houston to grow into the 4th largest city. Think of this region as 5 different smaller cities (inner loop/Galleria, Katy, Sugarland, Baytown/E Houston, and Spring/Woodlands) that simply grew together. Each one functions with one or more major areas of employment, where people can live and work in close proximity. If planned properly, you rarely need to leave one for the other.
Actually it just sprouted from Downtown. Luckily Houston was annexing aggressively or else it would have ended up in 5 different cities--we would be like Atlanta, DFW, or Chicagoland.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
As if cities like Chicago and New York don't have high gas prices or traffic.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
The Williams Tower looks like the middle finger with all the little galleria buildings around it.
It's Houston's own little way of telling you to accept things as they are or get the hell out.

People can talk all they want about how they don't like the sprawl, or how they want zoning, but it's all criticizing the deck chair alignment on the Titanic at this point. It's sprawled. It's unzoned. And it's not the only place you can be.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's Houston's own little way of telling you to accept things as they are or get the hell out.

People can talk all they want about how they don't like the sprawl, or how they want zoning, but it's all criticizing the deck chair alignment on the Titanic at this point. It's sprawled. It's unzoned. And it's not the only place you can be.
Actually, it goes both ways. If you don't like living in 100-year-old buildings with crumbling masonry, listening to traffic zooming by every single minute while trying to sleep, listening to your upstairs neighbor's footsteps and music, hanging with exotic-smelling people in the subway or paying $300 per month for a covered parking space in a lot, New York City's not for you.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Actually, it goes both ways. If you don't like living in 100-year-old buildings with crumbling masonry, listening to traffic zooming by every single minute while trying to sleep, listening to your upstairs neighbor's footsteps and music, hanging with exotic-smelling people in the subway or paying $300 per month for a covered parking space in a lot, New York City's not for you.
actually youre pointing out negatives of living in an apartment in a popular area and working in a big bad city in general and does not apply to NYC alone. CT, NJ, PA suburb folks have to endure the same subway experience ya know. Houston has a very diverse population too and i'm not sure how'd you take their exotic-ness.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:04 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times
There are certainly some "exotic smells" in some parts of Houston, but rather than have to endure others' B.O. on the subway, we can ride in our air-conditioned cars with filtered air and our own choice of audio programming through whatever type of stereo/satellite receiver we might have decided to have in our vehicles. I, for one, am accustomed to this. I can see the benefits of both lifestyles. I don't think we all need to be the same and it's rather silly to compare, as we are all different. If you prefer one lifestyle, then choose to live it. Adjust your life/career/family goals accordingly and go for it.

Wysiwig, if you don't like Houston "work city, Tx" then by all means, I would be happy to take a map out and direct you to the 2 Interstate highways that exit in all 4 directions or to either of our two commercial airports.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 AM

50 posts, read 140,361 times
Right on ZeroTX! Houston is not for everyone. Some people love it, some people do not. I find it really sad that the Houston bashers on this forum who are living in this city (I assume they are adults - ????) would continue to live in a place they hate. This is a free country and you are free to go anywhere you want. If you don't like it here, go elsewhere. Houston is my home, and i have made a life here. It is not perfect, but i dont know of any other major large city that is. And for the Houston bashers who do not live here - who cares what you think about our city!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston