Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,731,888 times

Advertisements

A resident curmudgeon makes things more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounative View Post
This is a free country and you are free to go anywhere you want. If you don't like it here, go elsewhere.

We all wish we were floundering 20-somethings and life was that simple! People do a lot of things for the almighty dollar, especially when they have others to take care of. I may consider moving somewhere (temporarily) if the price is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,259,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounative View Post
Right on ZeroTX! Houston is not for everyone. Some people love it, some people do not. I find it really sad that the Houston bashers on this forum who are living in this city (I assume they are adults - ????) would continue to live in a place they hate. This is a free country and you are free to go anywhere you want. If you don't like it here, go elsewhere. Houston is my home, and i have made a life here. It is not perfect, but i dont know of any other major large city that is. And for the Houston bashers who do not live here - who cares what you think about our city!!!
The ones who bash Houston are the ones who live out in the suburbs and don't even attempt to get out and do stuff. My room has the nerve to call Houston dull but all he does is sit on his computer day and night playing video games!!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,127,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post

Wysiwig, if you don't like Houston "work city, Tx" then by all means, I would be happy to take a map out and direct you to the 2 Interstate highways that exit in all 4 directions or to either of our two commercial airports.
what? does it bother you I refer to Houston as MY WORKCITY? Is that it? well thats moronic. How about you do your lovely city a favor and draw those maps for the people leaching on welfare crap. A lot of people just work here. deal with it.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,858,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I ABSOLUTELY cannot stand from this urban sprawl that houston suffers from. The Williams Tower looks like the middle finger with all the little galleria buildings around it. WHY IS IT THERE it should be with the big downtown buildings. and there are all these other random building just popping up. And when i go out on the weekends the drive home KILS me because its so late and all i want to do is sleep; its so dangerous to drive on saturday and friday nights.

People complain about gas prices and traffic when they want to live in a house that is 40 mins. away! makes me just want to slap them.

The companies that are based in houston need to stop putting offices in Sugar Land; Katy; Tomball; Greenspoint and put it in downtown like all the other wonderful cities in the US (minus LA).
1. Many cities these days suffer from "urban sprawl." Even metros in other areas of the country; for example, I have a lot of family in the Boston area and though the city itself is more compact than Houston, people who work in Boston often live in outlying suburb cities, some all the way up in New Hampshire. Houston is not alone in this problem!

2. I do agree that if you live far from work, it is foolish to complain about traffic and gas prices unless you somehow plan to work toward getting Houston better public transit (i.e. by the way you cast your vote for local officials), or are in some kind of situation where you are stuck in that situation but plan to change it (i.e. by moving closer to work in the near future).

3. Companies are putting offices in places like Sugar Land, Katy and the Woodlands because those places are making it attractive (i.e. tax incentives, attractive surroundings by zoning or building codes) and those are something Houston proper needs to step up to. Another reason is because these are areas where many of the qualified workers live; the companies will go where the employees are.

4. I think you complain on here way too much. If you don't like Houston, do something constructive about it other than whine -- put up, or go elsewhere. Sorry.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:51 AM

530 posts, read 2,038,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
what? does it bother you I refer to Houston as MY WORKCITY? Is that it? well thats moronic. How about you do your lovely city a favor and draw those maps for the people leaching on welfare crap. A lot of people just work here. deal with it.
To be honest, I'm not so much a Houston guy as a TEXAS guy... and well, I live where I want to live and find a job there. I live here because I have family & friends here. If that changes, there are several other places in Texas that I have on my list as options to move to and I'm certainly not complaining about being where I have CHOSEN to be.

If you don't love being here, move where you love and find something to do that pays enough to make a living. If you don't, then stop b*tching about "boring workcity, tx" and "houston...should've done my research." Research the better place you'd prefer to be and go there. The bellyaching is pathetic. I have friends who live in some of the poorest parts of Texas, because they love it. They have land, a nice (and big) house, and are able to do things that they want. One has changed careers several times, gone back to different schools for re-training, etc, to do things that are needed in the area, because he WORKS where he LIVES... It is possible to simply work where you live and not LIVE where you WORK. In fact, that's my motto... "work where you live, don't live where you work." Life is about a lot more than a good paying job. One day I will take a pay cut to move out in the country and I will love every minute of it, because it's a choice.

We won't miss you here in Houston and real Texans DEFINITELY won't miss you. Adios amigo.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,153,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The ones who bash Houston are the ones who live out in the suburbs and don't even attempt to get out and do stuff. My room has the nerve to call Houston dull but all he does is sit on his computer day and night playing video games!!
I wish he could come out to some nice dining with me in the Montrose, watch Orpheus in the Underworld performed brilliantly by the Moores School of Music (UH) and then come dance it off with me at South Beach or Blur, but I don't think he deserves that much fun.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
To be honest, I'm not so much a Houston guy as a TEXAS guy... and well, I live where I want to live and find a job there. I live here because I have family & friends here. If that changes, there are several other places in Texas that I have on my list as options to move to and I'm certainly not complaining about being where I have CHOSEN to be.

If you don't love being here, move where you love and find something to do that pays enough to make a living. If you don't, then stop b*tching about "boring workcity, tx" and "houston...should've done my research." Research the better place you'd prefer to be and go there. The bellyaching is pathetic. I have friends who live in some of the poorest parts of Texas, because they love it. They have land, a nice (and big) house, and are able to do things that they want. One has changed careers several times, gone back to different schools for re-training, etc, to do things that are needed in the area, because he WORKS where he LIVES... It is possible to simply work where you live and not LIVE where you WORK. In fact, that's my motto... "work where you live, don't live where you work." Life is about a lot more than a good paying job. One day I will take a pay cut to move out in the country and I will love every minute of it, because it's a choice.

We won't miss you here in Houston and real Texans DEFINITELY won't miss you. Adios amigo.
WTF are you preaching this time?
#1 Moderator cut: personal attack "should've done (your) research." are not my words. its a quote from people like you. I was making fun of them, in case you still didnt get it.
#2 if you live within 100miles where you went to school in these times, then I cannot listen to you about life. you just dont have enough experience and still have your training wheels on. I especially don't need life lessons from your friends' friends' friends stories
#3 you should stop preaching. if you did better than your classmates then good for you. news flash: we werent your classmates. so you live in the great sugarlands and proud of it. good for you but addresses in houston are nothing to me right now. I dont have the same wants as a texan, so suck it up.
#4 I dont like REAL TEXANs too, so its mutual. I like regular Texans.
#5 Adios. Youre firkin off topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-24-2008 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks not permitted per ToS. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,597,632 times
Quote:
I like regular Texans.
And what does that mean?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And what does that mean?
you know, like REAL AMERICANS vs regular americans

Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,597,632 times
Quote:
you know, like REAL AMERICANS vs regular americans
"I am a real American

Fight for the rights of every man"

Seriously though, what in hell are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston