Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
As long as your postal address reads HOUSTON, TX 77*** you live in Houston.

And what's the big deal? It's confusing to tell people you live in Webster, Klein, New Caney, Stafford, or whatever because a lot of people don't know where that is.. It's easier to say Houston.
If your address says Houston, it's Houston technically, but in a city this large it seems purely nominal.

On the whole, those places willfully cater to a different character, demographic. (Think: it's very difficult to escape a 600 sq. mile city proper.) I think it would be OK to say that you live in the "Houston area" to someone who doesn't live near Houston though.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 02-25-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 03:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
OK, I will rephrase my comment. You should be allowed to say you live in Houston if you pay Houston city taxes.

Oh yeah, I don't think EEstudent knows what he wants.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
And its absolutely annoying when I actually have something to be doing in Houston and I am looking forward to seeing urban Houstonians as a change of scenery, I end up seeing the same soccer moms I saw in Sugarland.
So what do you propose that these urban Houston hangouts do? Administer a test at the door?

Do you live in Sugar Land?
Are you a mom?
Does your child play soccer?

If "yes," no urban fun for you!

C'mon...that's a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

Old 02-25-2009, 06:22 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Why do they wish to be included in something they so distain? They don't like the loopers or the area, yet are miffed and offended when excluded in the geographic definitions of Houston or Core Houston. They take pride in living in the clean outer relms, and are horrified at the dirt and sacrifice Loopers contend with, speaking of them while looking down their noses. Just the thing they claim ITL residents do of the burbers......

The major difference is, Loopers are more than happy not to be included in "their areas."

I'm not a Looper, but I find this back and forth amusing. Probably because I'm somewhere in the middle.
Who disdains the Inner Loop? I don't see nearly as much bashing of Loopers by non-Loopers as the other way around.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Who disdains the Inner Loop? I don't see nearly as much bashing of Loopers by non-Loopers as the other way around.
I don't think it's so much bashing as it is people from outside the loop get their sensitive feathers ruffled when we inner-loopers have the audacity to point out that the inner-loop and the suburbs are not one and the same.

Can't we all agree that one of the major attractions of this city is the diversity in quality of life and lifestyles available here? Whether you're a suburban soccer mom or an urban hipster, this city (or more accurately, this metroplex) has what you're looking for.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
There're urban/looper soccer moms too. Just the uniform and sport's shuttle looks a little different.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:

I heard it all the time in The Woodlands, Topaz. People wrinkled their noses when I mention I was moving back.
Like why would I do that? It's all ugly,dirty and crime infested, and poor people live there. ew ew ew This was on more than several occassions.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I don't think it's so much bashing as it is people from outside the loop get their sensitive feathers ruffled when we inner-loopers have the audacity to point out that the inner-loop and the suburbs are not one and the same.

If everyone said it that way, no one would ever get their feathers ruffled.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Quote:
I live in between the loop and the belt and I get this all the time when dining with my inner looper friends (always inside the loop because they will not venture further than the Galleria) They make comments like living outside the loop is "not for them","would drive me insane","too superficial","too conservative","so much like Leave it to Beaver"....
They think living anywhere outside of it is a suburb and it isnt.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
EA - we were talking about Houston proper, not a suburb of Conroe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I live in between the loop and the belt and I get this all the time when dining with my inner looper friends (always inside the loop because they will not venture further than the Galleria) They make comments like living outside the loop is "not for them","would drive me insane","too superficial","too conservative","so much like Leave it to Beaver"....
They think living anywhere outside of it is a suburb and it isnt.

At least on the south and west sides, I've noticed between 610 & the outer edge of Houston proper is essentially a neutral zone when it comes to the inane remarks. Go inside the west half of the loop or way out to Sugar Land or League City and the comments find you. If you prefer to avoid the empty discussions, the 'neutral zone,' or inside the loop in the old-money areas may be for you. I'll venture to say there are lots of lifelong natives in these areas who don't get wrapped up in this ****. Based on these boards, it seems the transplants flock to the trendy part of the core or to the exurb/MPC towns and bring along their insecurity.

But just look at all of the different sub-forums in here, and especially the General US warzone. You tell me which people are shooting off most of the complaints. This is not a Houston phenomenon by any stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston