Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:50 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,865,774 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about taking a trip to the Houston Public Library to see if they have anything interesting there. Have any of you been there? I drove by there a few weeks ago and it looked really small. How does it compare to the libraries in other major cities? I'm mostly interested in books about psychology. I tried the public library on Westheimer in west Houston and the selection was very poor. That's why I want to try out the one Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:27 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,150,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I was thinking about taking a trip to the Houston Public Library to see if they have anything interesting there. Have any of you been there? I drove by there a few weeks ago and it looked really small. How does it compare to the libraries in other major cities? I'm mostly interested in books about psychology. I tried the public library on Westheimer in west Houston and the selection was very poor. That's why I want to try out the one Downtown.
Not to reprimand you or anything, but I wonder how you have studied at HBU without using the public library. I'm going to assume that HBU has a great library.

I think that the Houston Public Library has a pretty good selection of books. It's a large city and accordingly it needs a large selection. I really don't know statistically how well it matches up to Boston's Public Library, but simply from it's reputation as an educational hub and the sheer number of colleges here I would give Boston the edge; It's definitely got Houston beat for aesthetics. Just thought I would post the link for these--they're beautiful.

Boston
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/G...99477_6943.jpg
http://www.willowell.org/champlainslakerediscovered/images/boston.jpg (broken link)

For comparison

Houston
http://www.halan.lib.tx.us/images/mention/hpl.jpg
http://houstonist.com/attachments/dr...braryentry.jpg
That said it's not really all THAT important for the library to have great architecture/design, but it is pretty neat.

In any case, you definitely need to go to the central one to get a good experience, if at all. There are few nice HPL branches. I like the one in Montrose, but it's small. You can't beat the selection at Central.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 02-21-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Not to reprimand you or anything, but I wonder how you have studied at HBU without using the public library. I'm going to assume that HBU has a great library.

I think that the Houston Public Library has a pretty good selection of books. It's a large city and accordingly it needs a large selection. I really don't know statistically how well it matches up to Boston's Public Library, but simply from it's reputation as an educational hub and the sheer number of colleges here I would give Boston the edge; It's definitely got Houston beat for aesthetics. Just thought I would post the link for these--they're beautiful.

Boston
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/G...99477_6943.jpg
http://www.willowell.org/champlainslakerediscovered/images/boston.jpg (broken link)

For comparison

Houston
http://www.halan.lib.tx.us/images/mention/hpl.jpg
http://houstonist.com/attachments/dr...braryentry.jpg
That said it's not really all THAT important for the library to have great architecture/design, but it is pretty neat.

In any case, you definitely need to go to the central one to get a good experience, if at all. There are few nice HPL branches. I like the one in Montrose, but it's small. You can't beat the selection at Central.
I'm in Grad school at HBU so I'm in their library like everyday. They were closed over the Christmas break and that's what really got me looking for another library. Now that the semester has started back it's no longer urgent for me to find another library but I'm still curious about the Downtown library and still want to check it out. Any suggestions regarding parking at the Downtown library? I know that the city now limits the amount of time you can park at the meters (2 hours).

Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,243,788 times
The Central library is a gem, and a long time coming. I usually get there a little later in the day, where I can park free on McKinney. The hours are great. Usually stays open till 9 (except on Sundays I think). Visitor's parking is underground, but it can get a bit expensive if you don't watch it. I remember coming out of there with a $6 tab once, for a few hours of research. I think the max checkout limit is 30 books there. Maybe more. And you have the choice of renting them out for a few weeks to well over a month at one time. Plenty of computer workstations, very spacious, plenty of places to study. All in all a good bet.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the info MrSykes. I'll try to go out there next Saturday.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:37 PM

25 posts, read 123,102 times
Why don't you try the Library at Rice University if you are looking for academic books? I think if you are a university student, you will be able to enter the library, if not borrow.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
You speak as if this trip is a long adventure that has been brewing for weeks. lol.

I am not sure about HBU but I know UH has an agreement with Rice U. You can research all of UH and Rice U. databases. Along with a large amount of databases for research (Ebsco, many Scholastic journals, PhD thesis and papers from past students etc.) and they are all relatively easy to use. I think you are not allowed remote access for non UH students, but if your on campus you are allowed full access to not only UH database but also Rice U. and all other UH branches. For research UH is a great choice.

You should really plan your trip to UH today and make the journey over there lol.

But if your just there to look around then you could make your way over to the main Library in downtown.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:44 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,182,203 times
I haven't lived in Houston long, and this isn't anything but a casual observance...I hope I am wrong. BUT - I definitely get the feeling that Houston is not a "reader's city". There seem to be very few bookstores (Barnes & Noble, etc. or small independants) compared to most other places I've been. There don't seem to be as many branches of community libraries...it seems that most use their college libraries. (Nothing wrong with that.)
I came from Ohio (near Cleveland) which is not the most "upscale" place, but each small community had it's own library along with the larger "city" libraries, and of course, the colleges. I had a choice of 20 or more libraries within a 30 minute drive. There were many many more bookstores. It even seemed that local drug stores and neighborhood merchants offered more books and magazines for sale.
Just my imagination?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:26 PM

407 posts, read 1,737,030 times
The Harris County Public Library has a good web site where you can browse and order books. You'll need a library card and you'll need to know which branch you want the book sent to. Once you place a request, you receive an email when your book arrives. You go to the branch you requested and your book or books are in envelopes with your name. You simply get the book and checkout. You can also renew online. I use Amazon to find books then use HCPL system to order them. The web site is:
Harris County Public Library

Old 02-23-2009, 02:47 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,243,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I haven't lived in Houston long, and this isn't anything but a casual observance...I hope I am wrong. BUT - I definitely get the feeling that Houston is not a "reader's city". There seem to be very few bookstores (Barnes & Noble, etc. or small independants) compared to most other places I've been. There don't seem to be as many branches of community libraries...it seems that most use their college libraries. (Nothing wrong with that.)
I came from Ohio (near Cleveland) which is not the most "upscale" place, but each small community had it's own library along with the larger "city" libraries, and of course, the colleges. I had a choice of 20 or more libraries within a 30 minute drive. There were many many more bookstores. It even seemed that local drug stores and neighborhood merchants offered more books and magazines for sale.
Just my imagination?
Probably. The HPLS has over 40 community branches throughout town not including several "express" locations. The system is very active in the community and hosts many community events, workshops, and arts presentations. Plenty of retail bookstores here as well (more Barnes and Noble stores than Borders, quite a few Half-Price Books, and several independents mostly scattered around the innerloop west and southwest). Thing is, Houston is very spread out, so you're not likely to find a significant concentration of anything in one small area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston