Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 AM

93 posts, read 369,081 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Houston for the summer. We will be spending about 4 days there. We want to go to Galveston for a day to hit the beach, but we wanted to know the things that we should absolutely do the rest of the time we're there. We love cities and getting the feel of a new place. We love museums and aquariums, too, but we will be on a budget, so which ones should we definitely go to? We also like parks and outdoor things, so what activities in Houston fit us well? Are there any plays there that aren't really expensive? Is there any kind of observation deck from any of the skyscrapers?

Thanks for any advice you can give us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:59 AM

332 posts, read 1,323,368 times
Here's an excellent site with great information on Houston's Museum District (http://houstonmuseumdistrict.org/default.asp?id=1 - broken link). In the left hand frame you'll find the times when museums have times that you can visit for FREE (some great ones like The Menil Collection are FREE all of the time). Can't get any cheaper than that.

In the immediate proximity of the Museum District is Hermann Park and the Houston Zoo. Drop over to Rice University next door and walk around its beautiful campus... the bars, restaurants and shopping of Rice Village are just west of this. The Rice U. website also has a great Houston visitors information... better even than the official Houston sites IMO.

Other park options not so far away are the new Discovery Green park downtown and the huge Memorial Park just minutes west of downtown. Between Memorial Park and downtown, take the scenic drives along Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive, which take you along Buffulo Bayou Park (worth a stop for its spectacular views of Houston's skyline). Bayou Bend in this area has a lovely garden with walking trails and interesting historical collections.

Several downtown buildings have observation decks where you can take in the views (I think both are FREE).

Hope this gives you some ideas to fill out your 4 days (you might need more time!)

Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 PM

254 posts, read 464,342 times
CanTex said everything I was gonna say. That is an EXCELLENT summary.

Are you into malls? You may enjoy the Galleria Mall and while you are there you can head over to the Houston Water Wall.

Also, are you into food? I am a professional eater (self proclaimed) and always enjoy introducing my friends to the food scene in Houston.

This website rates many of the restaurants in Houston based on user reviews. You can find restaurants based on type and location in Houston. My personal favorites?

1. Whataburger - Texas based fast food burger chain.
2. Los Cucos Mexican Cafe - Excellent Mexican eating!
3. Kolache Factory - A Czech breakfast item that found its way to Texas. Combine this with a glazed donut from Shipley Donuts (Houston based chain) and you will have a typical Saturday/Sunday morning Houstonian breakfast
4. Goode BBQ Company - Many agree that this is the best Bar-b-que in Houston.
5. Boudreaux's Cajun Kitchen (http://www.boudreauxs.net/public/pag1.aspx - broken link) - Just like it says. Fine Cajun cuisine in a very Texas/Louisiana environment.
6. Chacho's - I go here for 1 reason: The nachos. Bean and cheese with queso sauce.

I hope yall enjoy Houston!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 16,553 times
Well, I would suggest brunch at Pappa's Grill.
And maybe hitting the lounge/clubs in the Montrose area.
Oh, and since you are going to Galveston, check out Kemah on your way back to Houston.
Dont forget to use hotwire for the hotel room. You can get some good deals for the Galleria area, and that will put you pretty central to all the places you will want to go see.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM

70 posts, read 234,249 times
I am surprised at the choice of Kolache factory. I think they're stuff is pretty good, but all those egg filled kolaches they have are unlike any kolache I have ever had anywhere else. The best ones are at the Czech Stop on I35 around Waco. Good bread with a good sausage in it. Not the egg and stuff Kolache Factory has.

Also, best/strongest margaritas in town (to me) are at El Tiempo. Damn good food too.

The only choice I agree with is Boudreaux's. The only better etoufee I've had was homemade by a real cajun.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 AM

254 posts, read 464,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloon View Post
I am surprised at the choice of Kolache factory. I think they're stuff is pretty good, but all those egg filled kolaches they have are unlike any kolache I have ever had anywhere else. The best ones are at the Czech Stop on I35 around Waco. Good bread with a good sausage in it. Not the egg and stuff Kolache Factory has.

Also, best/strongest margaritas in town (to me) are at El Tiempo. Damn good food too.

The only choice I agree with is Boudreaux's. The only better etoufee I've had was homemade by a real cajun.

Kolache Factory is just a safe choice you can find around Houston quite easily. Honestly, the only Kolache I have ever had was one from Shipley Donuts, Kolache Factory, and from the cafeteria at Klein High School. HAHAHA. I guess you could say I need to branch out, but I love the safety net . . .

You only agree with Boudreaux's? What do you suggest for BBQ? Goode is my usual pick, but I did Spring Creek and Pappas last time I was in Houston. Eh . . . I enjoy Larry's BBQ because it is a buffet and the brisket is excellent. I grew up nears Burn's BBQ, but I never went. You really take things for granted when they are close. Good BBQ in Philly? Fugetaboutit!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 AM

288 posts, read 1,191,233 times
When you're down in the museum district, hit Rothco Chapel. It's a Philip Johnson designed brick building with a Broken Obelisk outside on the lawn and bunch of Mark Rothkos hanging inside.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 AM

70 posts, read 234,249 times
My wife doesn't like bbq so we don't eat it that much. I haven't really looked around for bbq in Houston. I did eat at Goode a few years ago and remember it being pretty good. Honestly, I think Rudy's has some of the best damn (and consistent) bbq anywhere, but that's just my taste.

I have not eaten at those mexican places either. We've been branching out trying to find some different Mexican places, since we both love it. Had: Escalante's, El Gallo, Guadalajara, Pappasitos, El Tiempo, Cyclone Anayas, Cadillac Bar, El Patio, Los Alamedas... All have their strong and weak points.

Doesn't surprise me about bbq in Philly. At least you can still get a decent steak in Houston at Texadelphia. Not as good as Philly I'm sure, but still they're pretty darn good. Probably better than the bbq in Philly!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laf10 View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Houston for the summer. We will be spending about 4 days there. We want to go to Galveston for a day to hit the beach, but we wanted to know the things that we should absolutely do the rest of the time we're there. We love cities and getting the feel of a new place. We love museums and aquariums, too, but we will be on a budget, so which ones should we definitely go to? We also like parks and outdoor things, so what activities in Houston fit us well? Are there any plays there that aren't really expensive? Is there any kind of observation deck from any of the skyscrapers?

Thanks for any advice you can give us!
Save yourself the time and skip the so called beach. No offense to anybody but it is just not a good beach what so ever. Who knows what it is the water down there. A few years back a flash eating bacteria. If you do go do not expect anything great just because it is n the gulf. No blue water or white sand beaches there.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Not in Houston but not to far out....Kemah Boardwalk...They have a roller coaster....and good food....

Kemah Boardwalk - The Fun Never Stops (http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/flash_content/flash_content.html - broken link)

Kemah Boardwalk & City of Kemah Events Page 2009 BAY AREA HOUSTON VISITORS AND EVENT GUIDE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: