Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Than call a barber and set up an appointment. That's what I do.
Yeah only to sit through a 35 - 45 minute haircut, complete with all the distractions juke listed. I might endure it if the barber was exceptionally skilled and I wanted to get tightened up for a special occasion. Otherwise, my time is too valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:46 AM

101 posts, read 476,231 times
Default Maxey's

My brother has been going to Maxey's on Griggs and MLK for years. It's a barber/beauty mall. They're professional also. Try there.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I need some help trying to find a barbershop, where the people can actually cut. I know a dude out in Katy named Shay, but I just don't have the time to be driving way out there.

I've tried the one on campus, and I wasn't too impressed.
To the O/P. Go to Lovells Barbershop. Off MLK and Reed road. They only charge $6.00 and they also shave and line up your beard/facial hair.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I'm sticking with the Vietnamese-run salons. 3 dollars and you're in and out in 10-15 minutes max. More and more blacks are starting to find out about this best-kept secret. In fact the one in midtown/third ward has an almost exclusively black clientele. Only drawback is the language barrier, but it's nothing that isn't easily overcome. I've always wondered how they are able to give haircuts so cheap. My cousin from up north couldn't believe they could cut black people's hair so well.

I will never be caught sittin' up in a barber shop for 2 hours for a 15-20 dollar hair cut again.
Where is that at??? I think I seen one next to the fiesta on Wheeler.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 PM

354 posts, read 2,430,689 times
I am too looking for a good barbershop for my husband. He is black/white and has very fine hair that curls up as it grows out. He has experimented but has not found anyone to get it the way he likes it. He wears it low on the top and "faded" on the sides and back. He also likes a sharp line. Somewhere that takes appts would be nice too. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Where is that at??? I think I seen one next to the fiesta on Wheeler.
Yeah that's the one I'm talking about. There's another one on Fannin near the Sears auto shop. They seem to be all over the place nowadays (mostly on the SW side). I've been going for about 10-11 years now.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:27 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Yeah only to sit through a 35 - 45 minute haircut, complete with all the distractions juke listed. I might endure it if the barber was exceptionally skilled and I wanted to get tightened up for a special occasion. Otherwise, my time is too valuable.
If you schedule your haircut at 2:00 PM, than you should get your haircut at 2:00 PM. No excuses and delays whatsoever unless he started cutting someone's hair 15 minutes prior to that time and that should only take 10 minutes. I never have to wait 35-45 minutes to get my haircut with my barber. No Vietnamese or anyone else can give me a ceaser anyway.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
If you schedule your haircut at 2:00 PM, than you should get your haircut at 2:00 PM. No excuses and delays whatsoever unless he started cutting someone's hair 15 minutes prior to that time and that should only take 10 minutes. I never have to wait 35-45 minutes to get my haircut with my barber. No Vietnamese or anyone else can give me a ceaser anyway.
No haircut is worth paying over 20 dollars for.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah only to be outta there by 2:30 minimum. Like I said, unless I'm really looking to go the high-maintenance route for a special occasion, I'm just not gonna go through all the trouble of making appointments and 35-minute long cut sessions. Most of the time I'm all about convenience, which means being able to walk into a shop at the spur of the moment and get tightened up in 10 minutes for less than the cost of a value meal at Jack in the Box. And on a day or a time when most other shops in the city are closed at that.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
No haircut is worth paying over 20 dollars for.
Unless they know what they're doing. I'm not paying 5 dollars because I know it's an average cut UNLESS it's somebody I know. I want it lined, faded in the back, still black, and even. Not just cut it off and call it a day and have my hairline receding at an early age. The only reason why anyone would it isn't worth it is if they frequent the barber which I do not. I go every 6-8 weeks as I grow my hair out but get shape ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes
Yeah only to be outta there by 2:30 minimum. Like I said, unless I'm really looking to go the high-maintenance route for a special occasion, I'm just not gonna go through all the trouble of making appointments and 35-minute long cut sessions. Most of the time I'm all about convenience, which means being able to walk into a shop at the spur of the moment and get tightened up in 10 minutes for less than the cost of a value meal at Jack in the Box. And on a day or a time when most other shops in the city are closed at that.
Well than you're not looking for a specific cut. You're just looking for a quick taper and that's it. Just cut it off and be done with it probably. I only sit in the chair at the most for 20-25 minutes and most of the time it takes me 15-20. But my line has to be right as I am VERY picky about that.

What kind of cut do yall get anyway and do yall style your hair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: