Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
I don't post here as much as you but I do read alot. But why do you always have discouraging remarks about Houston!?!? Just because you don't like living here doesn't mean that everyone else wouldn't like it as well. The OP visited here and really like the city. That's it. Why can't we leave it at that and let him make up his/her mind about if he/she would like living here.
Because the OP posted on a public forum which means I can respond back however I like. Don't be so upset over comments made over an internet forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
I don't post here as much as you but I do read alot. But why do you always have discouraging remarks about Houston!?!? Just because you don't like living here doesn't mean that everyone else wouldn't like it as well. The OP visited here and really like the city. That's it. Why can't we leave it at that and let him make up his/her mind about if he/she would like living here.
Cause this forum is supposed to provide opinions to people who have questions about Houston( who apparently hit the a lot hard while staying here).
Austin is nicer. Houston might have been nice years ago, but not anymore.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
BenNV, good for you for seeing the GREAT things about Houston (and being able to see the bad, too!) I disagree with westhou (but then, what's new?) on this subject with just about everything he said:

It's hot in the summer. Yep. (I did say just about everything) If the NV in your name means Nevada, then you know what hot feels like. If you like humidity, you'll love it here.
Flooding does not get out of control "too often". Ridiculous. We get high water in areas occasionally. Most people know where those places are.
The massive freeway to which you must be referring is the lovely Katy Freeway. We love our Katy Freeway! It rocks!
It's affordable just about everywhere--including in the loop (hello, Heights?).
The ocean, I should probably clarify, is not an ocean, it's a Gulf--and it is not "dirty". If you do a search on beaches in this forum you'll find a terrific thread on the beaches of Galveston.
Houston is extremely diverse! We have the second largest Vietnamese population in the United States. We have a large Asian population overall, as well, from all over. We have lots of UK expats here that work in the oil industry, and of course, we have representatives of just about every Hispanic/Latin country you can imagine.
The Woodlands, Kingwood, Longwood, Champions, Cinco Ranch, etc. are suburbs that all have histories of being environmentally conscious in building. You will always have subdivisions and builders that are too concerned with $$$ that would rather mow down trees and screw up wetlands, and there's not much people can do about that in any part of the country--Houston is no exception. Same goes for McMansions.

Westhou must be having a bad day. Most of us here are proud of Houston, at least most of the time.
I'm not having a bad day. I just view Houston differently than you do. If you have a problem with that, so be it. I don't have a problem with us disagreeing with each other most of the time. No two people are alike.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:04 PM

12 posts, read 22,592 times
Yes, I was born and raised in Las Vegas, Nevada so i know heat in the summer and even though i was born here i have never liked the extremely dry climate on my body. The humidity in houston was such a wonderful change for my skin, etc. I lived in San Diego for 2 years and although nobody can deny it's a Beautiful city with a Great climate the cost of living was ridiculous and really it wasn't worth it to me.
I have heard so many people bash this city thoughout my life and most of them quite frankly have never even been here before! I would much prefer to live in Houston where i could enjoy a high quality of life without having to pay through the nose for everything in other "World" class cities that really dont offer me anything more than Houston does!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Wow that sounds exactly like Austin these days, with the exception of the ocean (it's not an ocean and it's not dirty). And you're always talking about how great Austin supposedly is... something's not right.
So if I don't like Houston, I also have to dislike Austin? Why is that? Something is not right about you telling people what they can and can't like. It's great if you love Houston but it's also ok for someone to feel otherwise. I used to go to Galveston at least once a week before the hurricane hit and it was very dirty. There were several times when the water was too contaminated with bacteria from the bayous that empty into it that you were told to avoid getting in the water. Those were mostly on heavy rain days in Houston and that was very often. If you think the gulf is clean around Houston then I won't try to change your opinion. That's the great thing about a public forum. People are allowed to disagree with each other.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:10 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Cause this forum is supposed to provide opinions to people who have questions about Houston( who apparently hit the a lot hard while staying here).
Austin is nicer. Houston might have been nice years ago, but not anymore.
Sure it's a public forum but correct me if I'm wrong but nowhere in the original post was there ever a question being asked. The OP just stated his experience and thoughts when visiting here. Did ever he ask what we thought or what not anywhere in the post that I missed?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Sure it's a public forum but correct me if I'm wrong but nowhere in the original post was there ever a question being asked. The OP just stated his experience and thoughts when visiting here. Did ever he ask what we thought or what not anywhere in the post that I missed?
Because it's a public forum there is no need for someone to ask a question in order to get a response.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_truth View Post
or follow your own advice. This is a perfect thread to bash the burbs ya know
Follow my own advise? Did I give the OP my opinion on anything? Did I tell him what a great place Houston is and what not? I don't think so cause I don't believe anywhere in his/her post did he even ask a question.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Follow my own advise? Did I give the OP my opinion on anything? Did I tell him what a great place Houston is and what not? I don't think so cause I don't believe anywhere in his/her post did he even ask a question.
We are all adults here. There really is no need to fight over this. Let's try to clear all this mess up.

The OP said great things about Houston and I offered up a few unsolicited opinions of my own about Houston. I see the great things about Houston, but I also see the problems with Houston as well. I doubt I'm the first person to ever post in a thread that didn't exactly ask for my opinion. It's a public forum and thus we can all post whatever we like as long as rules are not being broken. I don't think my post broke any rules so let's all stop the fighting.

agreed?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Because it's a public forum there is no need for someone to ask a question in order to get a response.
Ok gotcha. Then you just go out of the way to profess to anyone on how much you hate Houston and how horrible Houston is. I'm sure it's been asked before but then why do you live here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston