Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:06 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Austin is nicer. Houston might have been nice years ago, but not anymore.
As stated, this is an old, tired stereotype from the 70s and 80s. This statement is about as truthful as saying Ausitn is still hip or cool. I've got news for you XodoX, most major cities in the US have improved since then. Our country experienced a particularly brutal recession which hit Houston the hardest during the early 80s. Money wasn't spent on things like civic improvements, and Houston's reputation suffered accordingly. But, two decades have passed since then. The city didn't sit static. It improved, and it's a hell of a lot nicer now than it was then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That's the great thing about a public forum. People are allowed to disagree with each other.
Likewise:
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Don't be so upset over comments made over an internet forum.
Quote:
haha, calm down. This is the internet. You know?
So... anarchy then? Human decency disallowed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM

254 posts, read 464,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenNV View Post
Just got back from a 5 day trip to houston and all i can say is WOW!
Things i Loved:
- The modern skyline
- It was so GREEN!
- Warm humid weather
- Amazing diversity
- Beautiful surburbs
- Massive Freeways
- Such friendly people
- The Ocean's so close
- Texas Pride
- AFFORDABILITY!!!

Few Con's:
- It was very flat (This could be a Plus because scenery is usally expensive and kinda overrated)
- Some ugly parts (But this is to be expected with such a Big city!)

I loved my trip Texas and i'm looking into relocating in the near future!

Ben, Glad you liked Houston. This summer I am bringing one of my friends to Houston. She is already pumped and all I did was show her some pictures.

As far as relocating, you might want to stay away. That is . . . if you don't like AWESOMENESS!!! HAHAHA. (That was a blatant stab at all the junk being writtin on this post) Anyways, next time you take a trip to Houston, let the forum know. We will steer you towards all the great spots to go to make your experience EVEN BETTER (I know this seems impossible, but Houston only gets better with time!).

Old 05-01-2009, 05:16 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
As stated, this is an old, tired stereotype from the 70s and 80s. This statement is about as truthful as saying Ausitn is still hip or cool. I've got news for you XodoX, most major cities in the US have improved since then. Our country experienced a particularly brutal recession which hit Houston the hardest during the early 80s. Money wasn't spent on things like civic improvements, and Houston's reputation suffered accordingly. But, two decades have passed since then. The city didn't sit static. It improved, and it's a hell of a lot nicer now than it was then.

Likewise:

So... anarchy then? Human decency disallowed?
Yeah, waht's your point? I don't care how it was decades ago - I care about the situation right now.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Yeah, waht's your point?
You missed it.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 AM

619 posts, read 2,168,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenNV View Post
Just got back from a 5 day trip to houston and all i can say is WOW!
Things i Loved:
- The modern skyline
- It was so GREEN!
- Warm humid weather
- Amazing diversity
- Beautiful surburbs
- Massive Freeways
- Such friendly people
- The Ocean's so close
- Texas Pride
- AFFORDABILITY!!!

Few Con's:
- It was very flat (This could be a Plus because scenery is usally expensive and kinda overrated)
- Some ugly parts (But this is to be expected with such a Big city!)

I loved my trip Texas and i'm looking into relocating in the near future!
if youre from NV your state is now just as affordable as TX, perhaps even more affordable considering TX high property taxes and high cost for electricity. Everything else you mentioned there is true especially people`s friendliness. I almost moved there 3 years ago when California was extreamly unaffordable. Prices here in So Cal have come down a lot and have another 15-20% to go. Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:57 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Yeah, waht's your point? I don't care how it was decades ago - I care about the situation right now.
You were the one who said how it was years ago. You totally missed the point he was trying to make!

Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 29,679 times
Default Houston Is A Great City

I too have visited Houston several times and I have lived in New York City, Montreal, Seattle, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Los Angeles. However, I must say that I LOVE Houston the best. The heat and humidity are very good and healthy combination. Nothing a cool shower or two can't make better.

The city itself is typical of most, but it's true that you really don't need to pay through the nose for everything. Traffic, people, crime, etc... are all part of life and any large city or metro area. I'm quite sure that there are many areas of Houston that are great to live and I'm finding one soon. The burbs are okay too - just depends on what you're looking for in your everyday life experience.

No place is perfect, but Houston does have a lot to offer and it is also a great place to settle down. Houston is a great city!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:10 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You missed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
You were the one who said how it was years ago. You totally missed the point he was trying to make!
LOL, I thought I was going crazy there for a second!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:33 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
I lived for four years in LA and I DID move to Houston. It's like getting LA for 50% off. Just tons of great culture, sports, museums, clubs, shopping, and disposable money left after paying your rent or mortgage to actually ENJOY IT! The only negative comparison that I've seen is that it sure is flat. You've just got to get a Continental Airlines supersaver ticket to N. Mexico or Colorado every now and then to get a fix of the third dimension. I actually like the beaches of the Gulf BETTER (yes, I know that's crazy) because the water is so wonderfully bathtub warm (actually almost amniotic fluid warm :-) ) in the summer compared to the chilly Pacific. It's not as pretty without the coastal ranges coming down to the sea but it's wonderful if you actually enjoy swimming and body surfing.

The best thing about it, not mentioned yet, is that it's a fun city but such a invigorating work city and a place that rewards old fashioned concentrated effort and creative activity, not who you know or what your family's place in the social hierarch that exists on the Left and Right Coasts. I really like the sense of possibility and egalitarianism here on the "South Coast".

Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
The only negative comparison that I've seen is that it sure is flat.
You'll never have a mudslide here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston