Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:15 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
20 minutes from Katy Mills mall to Kirkwood.
Yeah, but who wants to live at Katy Mills mall?

As I said, 25-30 minutes from any of the decent parts of South Katy. 25-35 from Cypress. It's a wash. IMO Cypress has nicer neighborhoods and more choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 04:11 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Have you considered Cinco Ranch? It is much closer to the EC than North Cypress. I go to Cy-Fair College and it takes me 25-30 minutes on Barker-Cypress to/from I-10 (add 5-10 minutes to reach the Randalls from the college). I am looking forward to ending this grinding commute next year when I can finally attend classes at UH Cinco Ranch. (Hopefully gas prices won't inflate before then.)

Unless another family member needs to be in Cypress, I would recommend somewhere closer such as the EC, Memorial, or the Katy Suburbs.
South Katy is hands down a better place to live, a safer investment, has better schools, and a better commute than cypress. IMHO (most on this board will agree with that statement)

I have to agree with Kerr Town, check out Cinco Ranch

Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
South Katy is pretty blandola IMO. 619, you probably need to get out more. There's more to Houston than just the view from the freeway. I have family and friends who live in Grand Lakes and Cinco, nice suburban communities, but like I said before, they're a dime a dozen here in Cypress. Nice, but certainly not unique.

Safer Investment? I'd say they're about the same if you limit your argument to Cypress and just South Katy. You like to leave out the 'other half' of Katy, North Katy, which is quickly going ghetto and then you've got Alief on the other side. Where do you think they will move to when they try to escape Alief? Apartments are going up fast in South Katy.

As far as suburbs go, Cypress and Katy are roughly the same size, but you want to limit your argument to one half of Katy (the preferred half) to compare to the whole of Cypress. Even then, Cypress has the edge (North or South). Compare my part of Cypress (HP Corridor) to South Katy, roughly same population and it's no contest. The neighborhoods here are prettier, safer, and on avg ($105-120K avg HH income) wealthier than their 'counterparts' in South Katy.

CFISD and KISD were both fast-growing districts rated "Recognized" and have long been considered two of the best in Greater Houston. CFISD is nearly twice the enrollment of Katy ISD, having grown at a faster pace. The schools in our neighborhood's feeder are rated the following: Exemplary (El), Exemplary (MS) and Recognized (HS).

Last edited by Mr. Football; 05-21-2009 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
South Katy is pretty blandola IMO. 619, you probably need to get out more. There's more to Houston than just the view from the freeway. I have family and friends who live in Grand Lakes and Cinco, nice suburban communities, but like I said before, they're a dime a dozen here in Cypress. Nice, but certainly not unique.

Safer Investment? I'd say they're about the same if you limit your argument to Cypress and just South Katy. You like to leave out the 'other half' of Katy, North Katy, which is quickly going ghetto and then you've got Alief on the other side. Where do you think they will move to when they try to escape Alief? Apartments are going up fast in South Katy.

As far as suburbs go, Cypress and Katy are roughly the same size, but you want to limit your argument to one half of Katy (the preferred half) to compare to the whole of Cypress. Even then, Cypress has the edge (North or South). Compare my part of Cypress (HP Corridor) to South Katy, roughly same population and it's no contest. The neighborhoods here are prettier, safer, and on avg ($105-120K avg HH income) wealthier than their 'counterparts' in South Katy.

CFISD and KISD were both fast-growing districts rated "Recognized" and have long been considered two of the best in Greater Houston. CFISD is nearly twice the enrollment of Katy ISD, having grown at a faster pace. The schools in our neighborhood's feeder are rated the following: Exemplary (El), Exemplary (MS) and Recognized (HS).
619 lives in Katy (I believe S. Katy), so hopefully he/she knows their neighborhood. If you want to bring up N. Katy, how about S. Cypress directly adjacent to it and the Fair in Cy-Fair (Fairbanks in Houston, the Eastern part)?

I wondered where the H-E-B on 529 and B-C went when I first started going to that college and then found that they moved up the street to Cole's Crossing along the 290. That abandoned H-E-B is such an eyesore. (I also remembered an Amegy Bank inside the Kroger across the street. I guess they consolidated with the Cole's Crossing branch.)

But most of all, why are you encouraging the OP to pollute Houston even more and resign him endure 20+ minutes of commuting hell? At 4-5 P.M., the northbound B-C is congested near 529 and also at Clay Rd.

Alief and Katy ISD are very small school districts compared to HISD and Cy-Fair. From a map, I couldn't believe how massive Cy-Fair is. No wonder it's the third largest in Texas!

Last edited by KerrTown; 05-25-2009 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: AISD and KISD vs. HISD and CFISD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston