Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 45,542 times

Advertisements

I scanned the posts, and didn't see anything, so I thought I'd ask.

My neighbor just mentioned a shooting at the apartment complex near Nottingham Elementary. He thought it happened around the 10th of June or so, but didn't know any of the details. Does anyone have any information about this? It was the first I'd heard about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 PM

363 posts, read 1,145,983 times
Yes, I heard about it...if I remember correctly, it happened off Nottingham Oaks Trail. Is that the street that runs by Carmelo's? I think I heard about it on the news but can't remember the details...sorry.

I just did a search and found this...

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090612_tnt_nottingham-oaks-homicide.725054e2.html (broken link)

Last edited by Maybe So; 06-22-2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: found info.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,765 times
First I heard about it on here I'm tired of these incidents being swept under the rug, especially in Katy.

By the way, here's another "limited" and "vague" article I found in the Houston Chronicle and Fox News site.

Man shot dead outside W. Houston apartment | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Person Found Fatally Shot on Sidewalk | Houston weather, traffic, and news | MyFoxHouston.com | FOX 26 (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/090612_dead_body_sidewalk - broken link)

Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Good heavens! WTH?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 PM

70 posts, read 234,268 times
That's terrible. Happened in 77079 too. Good thing I bought in 77077.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:56 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,861 times
Eloon, a man died. Not really a good time for sarcasm...ya know?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:06 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
I have a friend who lives in that complex. It is lower income, but generally safe as it is a Stratford feeder. That property has been foreclosed. Since this has happened, it's has become somewhat dicey over there. The uncertainty is most certainly not helping the situation.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:28 PM

70 posts, read 234,268 times
Not trying to be inappropriate. It's a terrible thing that happened. It was never my goal to make light of a man losing his life. For all I know it could be the brother/cousin/father/uncle of one of my wife's students. I certainly won't be telling her about this because I don't want her to worry about going to work there. If she finds out, she finds out, but there's no reason for her to fear for her safety because she drives past it daily. I would certainly not wish this situation on anyone.

Regardless, I do find it terribly ironic to see this posted here now after just reading post after post about how much better the north of the bayou zips are than the south of the bayou.

My point is still that violent crime can follow you no matter how much you spend and where you are. There are apartments everywhere and these things tend to follow them (happens in houses too - but disproportionately in apartments). I could have easily, and actually thought a lot about, spending 100-150k more and being house poor to live IN THAT EXACT NEIGHBORHOOD. How much better would I feel about it right now?

Regardless, I'll still say a prayer for the victims of this tragedy. And I hope they catch the pieces of crap that did it. We don't need people like that anywhere around town.

Last edited by eloon; 06-26-2009 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: meant to add a sentence

Old 06-26-2009, 06:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloon View Post
Not trying to be inappropriate.
Oh, really? Let's see...

Quote:
Regardless, I do find it terribly ironic to see this posted here now after just reading post after post about how much better the north of the bayou zips are than the south of the bayou.
Sure sounds like it to me!

Quote:
My point is still that violent crime can follow you no matter how much you spend and where you are. There are apartments everywhere and these things tend to follow them (happens in houses too - but disproportionately in apartments). I could have easily, and actually thought a lot about, spending 100-150k more and being house poor to live IN THAT EXACT NEIGHBORHOOD. How much better would I feel about it right now?
The fact remains that a crime such as that, in 079 is VERY rare. Not so rare in the ol' 042. Not sure about 077.

Quote:
Regardless, I'll still say a prayer for the victims of this tragedy. And I hope they catch the pieces of crap that did it. We don't need people like that anywhere around town.
I'll agree with you on that!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
Not surprised. Those apartments near Tully, and some west of DA are crappy.Nottingham Oaks Trail has been a know "dangerous" complex for almost 2 decades now.Up at Briar Forest, people smack each other about six times a year. Look at the red dots on Houston crime maps, there is no "safe" place anywhere. But not living in a low-rent apartment unit is like buying life insurance. But violent crime is all over the place now. Houston is not a little city anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston