Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Have you been in Houston since 1980?
Unfortunately I've been here since 1976
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 02:54 PM

160 posts, read 715,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
If this Cap And Trade bill will save the planet, why is it the only "thing" that will save the planet? Why is the US then the only country in the world responsible to save it? 'Sounds like the US is blaming itself for something that is not proven beyond any doubt yet. 'Seems the only ones that will benefit are the carbon credit companies that will sell their credits. I think Al Gore set himself up pretty good... sort of like my handle, old Al 'Hooked The Brother Up'!

Anyway, Houston is still damn hot! I live out where the city meets the fields and farms, and it is really dead and dry. I don't know why they have not banned fireworks completely. Unless we get some rain before the 4th, I predict we will have some headlines regarding fires, or loss of life because of it, unfortunately.

I don't have a real position on global warming; however, the US is the "only one" currently, because we are far behind many industrialized nations in our emissions standards.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM

160 posts, read 715,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Yes, but the 100 or so years of recorded weather data is also a pretty poor indicator of anything on a terrestrial scale, but how often do we hear the Gore-bots screaming about hom many more hurricanes we have, how hotter it is, etc. etc. as an excuse to get pass crippling sanctions on the US economy in the name of "Global Warming?" It's sheer madness.

The sanctions might bankrupt some, but they will also provide an avenue for new industries.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:37 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
Can you cite your sources? Land based measurements have zero validity? I assume you are saying ground level temperatures do not prove an overall warming trend? What do you mean by net warming over the last 12 years; are you saying there has been warming but there are other variables we can attribute it to? 12 years is a pretty poor indicator of anything on a terrestrial scale...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post

Land based measurement have no validity because of the way they are being done. There are no controls, no standards, they are mostly manned by volunteers with no oversight and most of the "stations" are in urban areas which will increase slightly in average temperature as they grow. Concrete and asphalt make excellent thermal masses.

I haven’t checked on the satellite data for 2009. But for 2008 and back 11 years the satellite data shows zero temperature gain worldwide. None. The computer models all predicted high to massive temperature increases. But those models are nothing more than a set of assumptions by the programmer.

Now it gets a little shaky here but a good argument can be made that the satellite data shows there has been almost no temperature change on earth since the onset of the industrial revolution – and the industrial revolution is responsible for the increase in carbon dioxide that has many people concerned.

Definitely – 12 years is a pretty poor indicator of anything on a terrestrial scale.

Keep in mind that the human contribution to CO2 in the atmosphere at present is an VERY small percentage of the total (.28%). That’s “point two eight” percent not 28%. 99.7% of CO2 comes from natural sources that we have no control over.

Also understand that there have been many periods in earth history where the atmospheric CO2 levels were VASTLY higher than they are now. And keep in mind that the earth naturally goes though periods where the average temperatures are much higher or lower (ice ages) than they are now.

Even assuming that global warming is happening, and at present the data makes that pretty iffy, there is no science to support CO2 or the other 5 gases listed by the EPA contribute to global warming. There are plenty of theories and anecdotes but no hard science. None.

Now maybe anthropogenic CO2 really is a problem. It hasn’t been proven either way. I’m arguing that we need to get hard, unbiased, unpoliticized scientific facts before we are all panicked and herded into making the most devastatingly expensive economic decisions in human history.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:25 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Climate Bill should help.
I think it was a joke. Ha ha!. I get it.

It has been a long time in my memory that Houston has so many hot days in a row. It has been maybe 10 years since we have gotten this type of heat wave?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:25 PM

156 posts, read 493,393 times
I can deal with the heat. It's my yard that is beginning to look like toast!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:49 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Any of you remember the summer of '98? This stuff has nothing on '98.
Yes, especially April of 98'. It was a scorcher that month!!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Yes, especially April of 98'. It was a scorcher that month!!
It was freaking ridiculous. That was the one year that all the wild exaggerations that pop up on here (e.g. "horrible heat for six months" etc.) had some truth to them.

That summer was fun though, and I just got in the water more. You either adapt and be less miserable or you don't and you be really miserable. I know which one I want to be.

June was hot as hell this year but spring was pleasant.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:17 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It was freaking ridiculous. That was the one year that all the wild exaggerations that pop up on here (e.g. "horrible heat for six months" etc.) had some truth to them.

That summer was fun though, and I just got in the water more. You either adapt and be less miserable or you don't and you be really miserable. I know which one I want to be.

June was hot as hell this year but spring was pleasant.
I remember going to watch "Saving Private Ryan" and the lines were long, even going to the 6:30 show, my friends and i had to wait outside the theatres since the line was so long. We were sweating like pigs!!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:47 AM

226 posts, read 893,999 times
What is this stupid cap and trade garbage going to do to the O and G industries? We're talking serious trouble for Houston metro and even Texas because oil is the engine that drives the economy. Higher electric bills too. Higher energy costs because of the taxes on the industries. Maybe the oil companies will do less hiring or even some layoffs. Am I overreacting?

The bill HR 2454 passed the House of representatives and now it's in the senate ready to get voted on. Please do all you can by writing/calling/faxing the senators. This bill must go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: