Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 01:59 PM

43 posts, read 23,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
There is no available property between the West Belt all the way into downtown. Yes, some businesses and residences were displaced by the widening of I10, but it was not the entire stretch, the city purchased the railroad which made it possible.

Eminent domain works only when the city can pay market value to the residences, businesses, and therein lies the problem, Houston just cannot afford the price tag of doing so, especially inside the loop.

Houston has to seriously start thinking of viaducts whereby traffic going through the city is elevated, local traffic below. There is no land to purchase, but then you have to deal with noise. Also, I'm sure they can squeeze in one, or two lanes and narrow others, but it would be a bandaid, they need to have a comprehensive plan as they did with I10. 'Never ending problems in Houston.

'Don't want to stir the mud, but Houston and the nation have to start thinking about rail. It is expensive, but at some point, fuel will also be. More efficient cars, hyprids will deprive the state with revenues to build more and more roads. Nuclear power, rail, they both go together and need to be looked at.
Traffic going through the city must not be elevated and viaducts! Elevated and viaducts must only go above water! Buildings along rds must be uplifted for the rd to be widened! Intersections, including feeder rds at this intersections go below grade level, for main lns to stay at grade level! Be complete feeder rds! Rds must double deck, with a lower deck underground express!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Yeah, I think the simple solution is to just convert the portion from the Beltway to I-45 into freeway. Wouldn't require much in terms of property acquisition. Of course, the county officials would bemoan the loss of Toll road revenue from people who take 249 to the Tollway to I-45.
It's best that W Montgomery and N Main become part of 249! Then you go direct to Downtown!

Old 05-29-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Yeah, I think the simple solution is to just convert the portion from the Beltway to I-45 into freeway. Wouldn't require much in terms of property acquisition. Of course, the county officials would bemoan the loss of Toll road revenue from people who take 249 to the Tollway to I-45.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
249 does need to be brought up to freeway status/grade south of the Beltway. It also needs to be completed to Tomball and extended through western Montgomery County all the way to its original planned termination destination of Bryan/College Station. When the State Highway 249 designation took over the former F.M. 149, the plans were to have "The Aggie Expressway". But as another post stated, all future highways will be tolled. Harris County and the state of Texas are becoming obsessed with toll roads. The segment in Mongomery County is currently being studied and designed as a toll road. That is ignorant. We do not need any toll roads at all. This is not Yankeeland where everything is tolled. I believe that the should get rid of all of the tolls on the present highways in and around Houston. The present tolled highways could receive a state numbered designation. The Beltway was and still is designated State Beltway (Loop) 8. The Hardy Toll Road is actually designated as State Spur 548. I just do not see the problem with getting rid of the tolls and I do not believe that I anyone can convince me otherwise.
Yes, 249 south of the Beltway must become freeway status! That's where traffic is the worse!

Old 05-29-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The Harrisburg Freeway needs to be built before the gentrification makes the neighborhood too expensive to acquire land and more obstacles are created (such as the soccer stadium and the new buildings inadvertently along the planned route). I think most Houstonians have forgotten about this cancellation since the revolt happened more than 30 years ago.

Highway 35 needs to be extended all the way to the Alvin bypass so there will be easier access to University of Houston from Pearland/Friendswood and leave 288 for the Shadow Creek Ranch-Medical Center commuters. The Pearland Parkway/McHard Road should be upgraded to a freeway as the Pearland bypass for Highway 35.

249 should at least go along the existing route to I-45 so Klein commuters can go Downtown. The best terminus for the freeway at I-45 is at the Shepherd curve.

Did you know that the original freeway plan called for 290 to be connected to I-10 but the acquired right-of-way was used for TxDOT's Houston offices instead?
I agree with you in all!
Harrisburg Frwy with complete feeder rds must come soon enough! That'll take aim for motorists on the La Porte Frwy to Downtown!
Tx 35, must be a frwy from 45 all the way to US 181 near Corpus Christi! That's a direct aim to Corpus!
With 249, , W Montgomery and N Main must become part of 249! Then theirs a direct aim to Downtown!
US 290 must extend to IH 10! That'll take of unwanted traffic on West Loop 610 north of 10! Then traffic on 290 can aim close to Downtown! While ones on 290 will only go on the West Loop if headed to Uptown!

Old 05-29-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
The Harrisburg Freeway?
I am Pro Harrisburg Frwy! Then traffic on 225 heads directly to Downtown!

Old 05-29-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
There were stub-outs for The Harrisburg Freeway (S.H. 225) on U. S. 59 until the recent reconstruction of the interchange with Interstate 10. The Harrisburg Freeway was scrapped in the late 1970's due to the protest from the community. The guy who started the uproar moved from the area int the mid 1980's. State Representatitve Mario Gallegos said recently that the East End dropped the ball when they fought the development of the original plans for S.H. 225. It does seem so ridiculous that S.H. 225 ends at Lawndale Avenue. Houston needs alot more FREEWAYS. There are just to many N.I.M.B.Y.s now. By the way, the Harrisburg Freeway was the firset freeway in Houston to be subjected to a F.E.I.S. At the time most of Houston's freeway system was constructed the Federal Environmental Impact Study was not required nor was it a mandatory study such as it is now. What a waste of our tax dollars the F.E.I.S. has become. We need more FREEWAYS to help with our progress and future development.
I agree with you! Tx 225 will take of unwanted traffic on 610, 10, and 45!

Old 05-29-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I'm actually glad the Harrisburg Freeway was not built, as it would have been another freeway directly ripping a neighborhood in half. With all the gentrification (soccer stadium, etc.) going on in that area, a big noisy freeway wouldn't look nice in the middle of that area. If anything, they should have built a dual freeway with I-45 and 225.
Best to do it this way! The frwy comes with complete feeder rds! Just their's a noise wall! Intersections at the frwy go below grade level, including the feeder rds at intersections! Then the frwy at intersections is at grade level! Minor rds at this frwy must tunnel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston