Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 PM

433 posts, read 1,930,205 times

Advertisements

We will be getting an energy audit on our new house (new to us, not new construction), but we would like to know of any more tips people have for saving energy, especially in the summer time. Someone was telling me something about installing some kind of barrier or something in the attic to reflect heat, but I didn't fully understand what they were talking about.

Also- what temperature do people keep their house at? (in the summer) Electricity is SO expensive here... but once it is spring and fall can we turn the air off and be comfortable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 PM

191 posts, read 773,189 times
Congratulations on your new home!

The energy audit sounds like a great start. Another thing you can do to cut down on the high Houston energy bills is to compare rates at Power to Choose
You can change out all the old style bulbs to the energy savings bulbs. Use ceiling fans instead of turning down your a/c. Tint your windows to cut down on heat and glare in your rooms. Get some thermal backed drapes to trap the heat (and cold for the few weeks we get winter) from getting into your rooms. Caulk around all windows, openings and doors. When you leave the house in the summer, turn up your thermostat to 81-82 degrees. Turn the water heater to 120 degrees. Get a programmable thermostat.

For a larger investment, you can get low-e dual paned windows. You can also add insulation and install a radiant barrier in your attic (or if you are planning to re-roof, you can add Tech Shield). As far as the radiant barrier goes, we were looking into it last year, and we found lots of negative reviews about the spray on (basically silver type looking paint that is applied under your roof in the attic) radiant barriers.

Last edited by slnt; 07-26-2009 at 11:32 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 12:53 AM

95 posts, read 438,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnt View Post
Congratulations on your new home!

The energy audit sounds like a great start. Another thing you can do to cut down on the high Houston energy bills is to compare rates at Power to Choose
You can change out all the old style bulbs to the energy savings bulbs. Use ceiling fans instead of turning down your a/c. Tint your windows to cut down on heat and glare in your rooms. Get some thermal backed drapes to trap the heat (and cold for the few weeks we get winter) from getting into your rooms. Caulk around all windows, openings and doors. When you leave the house in the summer, turn up your thermostat to 81-82 degrees. Turn the water heater to 120 degrees. Get a programmable thermostat.

For a larger investment, you can get low-e dual paned windows. You can also add insulation and install a radiant barrier in your attic (or if you are planning to re-roof, you can add Tech Shield). As far as the radiant barrier goes, we were looking into it last year, and we found lots of negative reviews about the spray on (basically silver type looking paint that is applied under your roof in the attic) radiant barriers.
i totally agree with the lack of performance of the spray on radiant barrier. Thats why we dont offer it. windows is a huge factor, but can get expensive

Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM

809 posts, read 3,569,859 times
We keep our house at 76 degrees. If it were up to me, it would be at 78 but apparently I'm cold natured.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM

258 posts, read 954,709 times
I was thinking about started a thread on Energy Saving tips, but you beat me to the punch.

I was hoping for members to post the solutions they have tried and report on the success.

I've been reading about radiant barriers but I am not sure if the cost will live up to the savings/performance. I've read that some people complain about their cell phone reception being poorer after installing a radiant barrier. Possible?

Also, does anyone have experience with solar screens? Are they effective and economical?

Last edited by phaze; 07-27-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
For the attic consider a solar powered attic fan which will suck the hot air out and keep the attic close to inside temps. This typically saves 6-12% on your cooling bills depending on how much energy efficiency you already have. A fan with install is about $900 and you can get a $300 tax credit for it so total cost is $600 to you.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 PM

191 posts, read 773,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze View Post
I was thinking about started a thread on Energy Saving tips, but you beat me to the punch.

I was hoping for members to post the solutions they have tried and report on the success.

I've been reading about radiant barriers but I am not sure if the cost will live up to the savings/performance. I've read that some people complain about their cell phone reception being poorer after installing a radiant barrier. Possible?

Also, does anyone have experience with solar screens? Are they effective and economical?
We were going to get a radiant barrier for our attic when Hurricane Ike hit and derailed our plans (thanks to all our damage). From what I have read and found online it appears like it does help with cooling down the house in the summer as well as helping control some monthly electrical costs. One of the contractors (unrelated to getting a radiant barrier) that came to our house, told us about an attic he went into in the middle of the summer that had a radiant barrier and it was cooler than an attic without. I was in a house that had Tech Shield and the attic was quite a bit cooler than a house without.

We had solar screens in a previous house, I have found that window tinting does a much better job than screens. Now, we had this on a house 15 years ago so there could be some new improvements to screens making it better than in the past. From our experience, the window tintng did a better job at controling heat and glare.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 PM

222 posts, read 720,254 times
I'm thinking about building one of these. I have a 1/8-1/4 gap where the attic stairs are at in the hallway and I'm sure that is letting some hot attic air into the house. Hopefully this will work....its a fairly cheap project. DIY: How to Insulate Attic Drop Down Access Stairs - Danny Lipford

Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 PM

299 posts, read 1,016,733 times
spend some time studying the airflow in your house, especially around where the thermostat is.

It's not uncommon for someone to have a thermostat upstairs with sun shining on it all day, which keeps the AC on, and the rest of the house gets cooled to about 68. Keep the blinds closed in the heat of the day, especially in the room with the thermostat and keep the fans on and doors open in all rooms to keep the air circulating. Fans use way less energy than your AC compressor.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:20 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Don't use AC. Turn on the fans if you must. Open windows and doors. You will get used to it. I promise you won't die. Use gas stove instead of electric. Cook in the garage if possible. Why heat up the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: