Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,610,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
Funny image, I guess, but frontage roads are called feeder roads in every part of Texas I've lived in and visited, not just in Houston.
Not so much here in the DFW area. I've mostly heard them called service roads or access roads. Anyway, it kinda suprised when when I came to find out that most other places in the country don't really use these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,011,142 times
Correct

In Houston they're called feeders. In Dallas & the rest of Texas they're called access or service roads.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 PM

711 posts, read 1,857,499 times
I've seen frontage roads in other parts of the country, but their entrances are usually at major intersections, whereas in Texas the entrances tend to be between intersections. The way Texas does it is less disruptive to traffic (less congestion!). Another nice thing I see in Texas are dedicated U-turn lanes. That's a very convenient and congestion-reducing item.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
You know, my FIL buys up property in fancy places inside the loop, rebuilds houses, etc. So I have spent a lot of time in there. It's kinda galling how a million dollar house will be a couple blocks away from a delapidated store with bars on the windows...zoning can be a good thing...ahem, Heights.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, my FIL buys up property in fancy places inside the loop, rebuilds houses, etc. So I have spent a lot of time in there. It's kinda galling how a million dollar house will be a couple blocks away from a delapidated store with bars on the windows...zoning can be a good thing...ahem, Heights.
Hey, that's part of the charm

Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,492,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Hey, that's part of the charm
It also only happens in transitional neighborhoods. You won't exactly see a shanty in River Oaks. But, some people see the actual transitioning that such an adjective as "transitional" would seem to explicitly imply and assume the entire city is going through the same thing or that it's at least so commonplace as to be an epidemic. Oddly, any transitional neighborhood in any city in America will have the same crap happening. It doesn't matter how many pretty zoning laws have been put in place. But don't worry folks, pretty soon after property values rise, the taxes will be enough to kick those poor security-minded folks out. No worries, pretty soon you can bulldoze the shotgun shack and build a McMansion in it's place. In the meantime, you can't just blink your eyes and I-Dream-of-Jeanie the poor people away.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,709,694 times
Yes Master.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston