Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Everyone thinks Houston is so cheap and homes and cost of living are compared to the rest of the country but it still costs to live in a decent neighborhood. Garage apts. in Montrose and areas I mentioned are nice. Garage apartments are typically apartments built over someone's detached garage. Sort of like an efficiency. You have a small kitchen & bath. Not bad and you get to live in a nice neighborhood. Other than that - I would look for apt. style condos that individuals rent out - they usually rent those for about $500-600 for 1 BR. You can find those on all sides of town as well.
Depends how you define decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Actually, June was quite dry, both in the low-rain sense and in the humidity sense, at least compared to usual around here.

Remember, this is still Texas, and a lot of outsiders have this idea that we're a wide open desert or prairie like they saw on an old episode of Gunsmoke.

It's crazy how people think that as soon as you cross the Texas state line over from Louisiana, that the landscape immediately changes .

When I was a kid, my parents would drive us down to Mississippi from California each summer. I knew we were almost there whenever we'd hit East Texas somewhere around the outskirts of Tyler, because the landscape drastically changes.

Houston is very verdant for a city of its size. And this is coming from someone who lives in Atlanta.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

Nope, no trees anywhere over a massive part of the Inner Loop.
yep right about where i said the majority of trees are, around the memorial park area.

you see you all are arguing there are NO trees, as in ZERO, i am arguing there are FEW trees. and my screen shots are of the CITIES not the surrounding areas, the cities themselves. now sure if you want to say the woodlands has a ton of trees go for it, hell i own property with plenty of trees on it in magnolia, Livingston and conroe have plenty but they ARE NOT houston and are not even suburbs of houston. see i grew up in san antonio and new braunfels where trees are much more abundant, and the developments actually work around them rather then ripping them all down to try to start over. and i also mentioned the fact that the west and southwest sides of town have been farmland/rice/sugar. so what i am getting from all this is there are some huge houston "apologists" who get defensive at the slightest mention of anything negative about houston (not just in this tread but others), there are several who dont read entire posts, and there are others who have never been outside their "comfort zone" or "bubble". i will leave it to you to decide. in the mean time i stick to my argument that houston has the least amount of trees of any of the major cities in texas with the exception of el paso.

dont get me wrong, houston is not terrible by any means (well unless you figure the 4+ million people trying to squeeze in the area all at one time.) it is just not as nice as some would like to think it is.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
yep right about where i said the majority of trees are, around the memorial park area.

you see you all are arguing there are NO trees, as in ZERO, i am arguing there are FEW trees. and my screen shots are of the CITIES not the surrounding areas, the cities themselves. now sure if you want to say the woodlands has a ton of trees go for it, hell i own property with plenty of trees on it in magnolia, Livingston and conroe have plenty but they ARE NOT houston and are not even suburbs of houston. see i grew up in san antonio and new braunfels where trees are much more abundant, and the developments actually work around them rather then ripping them all down to try to start over. and i also mentioned the fact that the west and southwest sides of town have been farmland/rice/sugar. so what i am getting from all this is there are some huge houston "apologists" who get defensive at the slightest mention of anything negative about houston (not just in this tread but others), there are several who dont read entire posts, and there are others who have never been outside their "comfort zone" or "bubble". i will leave it to you to decide. in the mean time i stick to my argument that houston has the least amount of trees of any of the major cities in texas with the exception of el paso.

dont get me wrong, houston is not terrible by any means (well unless you figure the 4+ million people trying to squeeze in the area all at one time.) it is just not as nice as some would like to think it is.
Umm...great comparison...compare the country to a metropolis. Houston has plenty of trees. Have you ever set foot outside of the Spring, Texas, New Braunfels or the outlying Houston area? Compared to the country (meaning the places where you have lived and have property) there are few trees; However if you go to any of the urban cities people love to praise on this forum, they tend to lack a natural integration of trees into the scenery. Why? Because there is little to no space left for development---all of the areas' natural trees and grass have been removed. And well, while nice, a huge ass park in the middle of a concrete jungle isn't the same. Thanks for trying though, perhaps next time you'll make a LOGICAL comparison. Next...

Last edited by theSUBlime; 09-18-2009 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
I would have to argue houston has more trees than any other major city in Texas and probably more than most cities our size. It certainly has more than Dallas and San Antonio
Have you driven thru Rice,Heights,Garden Oaks,West side of town down Memorial,south in places like Idlewood,Glenbrook Valley? Have you looked out a high rise window from the Med center?

I was flying into Hobby and several people in rows ahead of me kept commenting on how green and how many trees were here. we are not talking Pearland/Katy we are talking Houston!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Umm...great comparison...compare the country to a metropolis. Houston has plenty of trees. Have you ever set foot outside of the Spring, Texas, New Braunfels or the outlying Houston area? Compared to the country (meaning the places where you have lived and have property) there are few trees; However if you go to any of the urban cities people love to praise on this forum, they tend to lack a natural integration of trees into the scenery. Why? Because there is little to no space left for development---all of the areas' natural trees and grass have been removed. And well, while nice, a huge ass park in the middle of a concrete jungle isn't the same. Thanks for trying though, perhaps next time you'll make a LOGICAL comparison. Next...
you should maybe start over because apparently you have missed a ton in the conversation.

so go back to the beginning, start over and comeback when you are all caught up ok?

being green DOES NOT equal tree, and we are not talking these tiny little 4"caliper BS trees they put in.

so lets do this, i will give you the memorial area to memorial park. now where else? a little spot around the med center/rice? come on thats it? san antonio has trees all over, not just little trees in front of your house but the whole city. down town, the north side, west side, east side, the south side all the way around the place. it is not houstons fault, it is nature, the soil in the houston area is just not built for growing large full trees like the hill country and other parts of the state.
get out north east of town to the "big thicket" and what do you get? a bunch of pines with weeds and mess growing all over it. get out east toward SA and austin and you get big full oaks and pecans, until you get to far then you start getting a mix of ceder as well. it is nature, its not houstons fault.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
you should maybe start over because apparently you have missed a ton in the conversation.

so go back to the beginning, start over and comeback when you are all caught up ok?
Maybe you should go back to 1st grade and realize an apple cannot be compared to an orange and come back when you're all caught up, OK?

Last edited by theSUBlime; 09-18-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should go back to 1st grade and realize an apple cannot be compared to an orange and come back when you're all caught up, OK? Apparently you've missed a ton of grade school education.
lets try this again.
i would suggest you dont personally attack as i did not. i told you to go catch up because you are OBVIOUSLY not up to speed on the conversation.

here let me catch you up. i am not the one making the comparison of houston to livingston, magnolia, new braunfels and otehr small towns to houston, i am the one saying YOU CANT COUNT THOSE AREAS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT HOUSTON. because they are not part of the city and not even suburbs of cities.

here that is the short version, now try again.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
lets try this again.
i would suggest you dont personally attack as i did not. i told you to go catch up because you are OBVIOUSLY not up to speed on the conversation.

here let me catch you up. i am not the one making the comparison of houston to livingston, magnolia, new braunfels and otehr small towns to houston, i am the one saying YOU CANT COUNT THOSE AREAS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT HOUSTON. because they are not part of the city and not even suburbs of cities.

here that is the short version, now try again.
Not personally attacking, just inviting you to do something you should do, like use capitalization. That wasn't your original argument. Figure out which post I am referencing and then get back to me. And yes, you are comparing those places. Do you know what a comparison is?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Not personally attacking, just inviting you to do something you should do, like use capitalization. That wasn't your original argument. Figure out which post I am referencing and then get back to me. And yes, you are comparing those places. Do you know what a comparison is?
this is the webernet man, you know what you can do with your capitolization?

once again my original argument and all of my argument to this point has been CITY VS CITY, now if you took the fact that i said the people arguing against my argument could consider the woodlands, or magnolia, or livingston....... as part of the city of houston (even though once again they are not) well then i think maybe you should stop worrying about capitolization and begin worrying about reading comprehension.

here is the part you quoted from me, maybe you should re-read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas

there maybe the bolds will help you comprehend the statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston