Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:01 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
and yet your argument was that i was comparing livingston, woodlands, magnolia to houston.

so once again i will direct you to earlier portions of the conversation. the entire point of the conversation is that houston has less tree coverage then the other major cities in texas, IE DFW, austin, san antonio. so yes a comparison of SA to houston is in order and is the entire point.

i will say it again, go back, start over, read the WHOLE THREAD, and then get back to me. i have stood by my statements and have solely compared the major cites thus far. i only speak of new braunfels as a place i grew up in reference to the smaller places brought up before.

and now i am leving to head down to the baron and treeless south side of houston, around the reliant stadium to check on some jobs where trees where never removed because there was none.
Yes, the south side of Houston is coastal prairie and it wouldn't have many natural trees. You haven't compared anything and it is obvious you haven't been through a lot of Houston or know about its agricultural history so just sit down and accept that Houston has a large majority of it covered in MATURE trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I find it halarious that Texans argue about which city has more trees. Hosuton definately has more trees than Dallas. But why the hell would that matter to anyone? I like Houstons forrests and I like Dallas' prarie land. Both are pretty to me. They are just different.
Hey we are just trying to correct some blatantly wrong information. All states argue over petty things, I think Texas having 4 major metros find more things to argue about between cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:06 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
People stop fighting over trees! Aren't we suppose to be going "green" anyway for environmental sake. LOL

Now let's get back to the original topic as this thread is going to help me (and anyone that comes after me) in regards to positives and negatives of Houston.

Ok, so I have an additional question. What areas of town in the metro area are considered "the ghetto". I really need to know this so I can cross off all of those apartments off my list.
Houston is a big city, I think you are better off on deciding on a part or a few parts of town and then going from there. As someone mentioned, a lot of areas are pretty mixed.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
I find it halarious that Texans argue about which city has more trees.
I think it stems from the fact most people outside of Texas aren't aware we do in fact have trees...lots of them. The whole eastern side of the state from about Canton on east is blanketed with greenery much like you would find in the Deep South, towering pine trees abound mixed with a variety of oaks.

Houston is indeed a very green city compared to Dallas, Austin, & San Antonio. Its not a bad thing or a good thing, just a fact.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM

265 posts, read 597,419 times
Pros:

1. Cheap

2. Cheap

3. Cheap

4. Cheap

5. Cheap

Cons:

1. Most schools are bad.

2. Illegal immigrant and anchor baby population on a sharp rise.

3. Huge concentrations of ghetto apartments.

4. Incompetent government and uncaring politicians.

5. Humid, unpleasant climate and frequent rainstorms.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
If you didnt like Dallas, I highly doubt you will love Houston. You might like Houston more than Dallas, but the difference between the two arent that great that you will fall in love with Houston if you didnt like Dallas. The only people who love one city and hate the other are typically from one or the other and thats because they are trying to save face.
No way. It's like I always say. Dallas is Texas. Houston is the world.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
All places are not for all people what I dislike you may like and what you like I may dislike. Make a list of what you want and see if Houston has it or doesn't.
My biggest dislike is the weather, too hot, no fall colors and no winter. But tons of places to shop, good food, housing is pretty cheap too.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:38 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
i know how good the trees are for the environment, but i'm just not that intrigued by them. They look boring on freeways to me. Trees mixed in with skyscrapers and buildings look good, but just trees alone, no thanks!!! Take Charlotte NC, one of the most boring cities to drive in because the miles of stretches of trees.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,350,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
All places are not for all people what I dislike you may like and what you like I may dislike. Make a list of what you want and see if Houston has it or doesn't.

Yes...I asked the OP to tell us what he WANTS in his new city but he hasn't.
I also asked what it is he likes about the other very different cities he's also considering, but he hasn't.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:28 AM

27 posts, read 137,294 times
great food, great people, affordable

Old 09-19-2009, 09:33 AM

226 posts, read 894,140 times
Hi there apostolicflightattendant I'm heading to Houston too in December. I would look in the Kingwood area or check out the deerpark area. I'm apostolic too btw Praise the Lord and there is a good church in Pasadena which is close to deerpark and there is also one in Baytown nearby deerpark also. You would just have to drive a little bit. If you lived in Kingwood there is a church in that city, one in Humble, and one in Porter. There may be more churches near these areas but I just don't know they exist. My wife was looking at one bedroom apartments in Kingwood and they were in the just above $600 range.

Just keep looking and when you find a place you like post the address and these people here on CD will help you out and tell you if it's in a dangerous area. God Bless hope you find what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston