Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
see i grew up in san antonio and new braunfels where trees are much more abundant, and the developments actually work around them rather then ripping them all down to try to start over.
And this...is a comparison. Maybe now you comprehend what a comparison is. I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
And this, my friend, is a comparison. Maybe now you comprehend what a comparison is.

and yet your argument was that i was comparing livingston, woodlands, magnolia to houston.

so once again i will direct you to earlier portions of the conversation. the entire point of the conversation is that houston has less tree coverage then the other major cities in texas, IE DFW, austin, san antonio. so yes a comparison of SA to houston is in order and is the entire point.

i will say it again, go back, start over, read the WHOLE THREAD, and then get back to me. i have stood by my statements and have solely compared the major cites thus far. i only speak of new braunfels as a place i grew up in reference to the smaller places brought up before.

and now i am leving to head down to the baron and treeless south side of houston, around the reliant stadium to check on some jobs where trees where never removed because there was none.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:28 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
so once again i will direct you to earlier portions of the conversation. the entire point of the conversation is that houston has less tree coverage then the other major cities in texas, IE DFW, austin, san antonio. so yes a comparison of SA to houston is in order and is the entire point.
I'm confused as to whether you are trying to compare city or entire metro.

You keep bringing up DFW, as in metro, yet don't want to count Kingwood, the Woodlands, or other parts of the Houston metro into the comparison.

So what are we comparing here?

Take just the city of Houston -- okay, so you have the heavily treed areas of River Oaks, Museum District, all along the entire west side from near downtown through Memorial Park and outward until you get to Katy.
If you look at the metro, in addition you'd have Kingwood and Lake Houston, Cypress, The Woodlands, etc.

I was married in downtown San Antonio. I never once got the impression that it had so many more trees than the inner Houston areas I just mentioned.

And DFW? Really? Are you saying that with a straight face? I'll ask yet again, where in Dallas is heavily treed outside of the White Rock / University area? Most of the rest of the city doesn't look like that, and certainly not the suburbs... DFW has nothing comparable to Houston suburbs like Kingwood, Cypress, or the Woodlands.

No one is getting mad because you're making "criticisms"... we're disagreeing because the "criticisms" just seem totally inaccurate. And you've yet to prove your case otherwise.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
yep right about where i said the majority of trees are, around the memorial park area.

you see you all are arguing there are NO trees, as in ZERO, i am arguing there are FEW trees. and my screen shots are of the CITIES not the surrounding areas, the cities themselves.
But that shot is entirely in the city of Houston. Not Magnolia, not whatever else you said. And actually what you're looking at there is mostly the River Oaks area, with Memorial Park more to the north.

Other places with trees:

The Heights, several parts of Third Ward, Woodland Heights (NOT The Woodlands; this is just outside of Downtown Houston and is much older than The Woodlands), Westbury...

Need I go on?

Old 09-18-2009, 12:55 PM

170 posts, read 774,300 times
People stop fighting over trees! Aren't we suppose to be going "green" anyway for environmental sake. LOL

Now let's get back to the original topic as this thread is going to help me (and anyone that comes after me) in regards to positives and negatives of Houston.

Ok, so I have an additional question. What areas of town in the metro area are considered "the ghetto". I really need to know this so I can cross off all of those apartments off my list.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Agree, lets just say we are happy that trees exist.

Some would argue the Greenspoint/Aldine areas would be undesirable to live in.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:43 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Ghetto/Barrio? SW side off 59 outside of 610. Greenspoint. Areas around Hobby Airport has some patches.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:34 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I'm confused as to whether you are trying to compare city or entire metro.

You keep bringing up DFW, as in metro, yet don't want to count Kingwood, the Woodlands, or other parts of the Houston metro into the comparison.

So what are we comparing here?

Take just the city of Houston -- okay, so you have the heavily treed areas of River Oaks, Museum District, all along the entire west side from near downtown through Memorial Park and outward until you get to Katy.
If you look at the metro, in addition you'd have Kingwood and Lake Houston, Cypress, The Woodlands, etc.

I was married in downtown San Antonio. I never once got the impression that it had so many more trees than the inner Houston areas I just mentioned.

And DFW? Really? Are you saying that with a straight face? I'll ask yet again, where in Dallas is heavily treed outside of the White Rock / University area? Most of the rest of the city doesn't look like that, and certainly not the suburbs... DFW has nothing comparable to Houston suburbs like Kingwood, Cypress, or the Woodlands.

No one is getting mad because you're making "criticisms"... we're disagreeing because the "criticisms" just seem totally inaccurate. And you've yet to prove your case otherwise.
I find it halarious that Texans argue about which city has more trees. Hosuton definately has more trees than Dallas. But why the hell would that matter to anyone? I like Houstons forrests and I like Dallas' prarie land. Both are pretty to me. They are just different.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:47 PM

265 posts, read 597,200 times
At the rate things are going, there won't be any trees left in ten years.

Someone needs to put the brakes on all the clear cutting.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
People stop fighting over trees! Aren't we suppose to be going "green" anyway for environmental sake. LOL

Now let's get back to the original topic as this thread is going to help me (and anyone that comes after me) in regards to positives and negatives of Houston.

Ok, so I have an additional question. What areas of town in the metro area are considered "the ghetto". I really need to know this so I can cross off all of those apartments off my list.
South/Southeast Area - South Park, Southeast, Sunnyside,etc

North/Northeast Area - Fifth Ward, Aldine, Greenspoint Area, or pretty much anything north of 610 up to Beltway 8 (Nice areas within 610 and beltway 8 it, but the bad areas are spread out).

West/Southwest - Gulfton, Sharpstown, Alief,etc

Really, Houston's worst neighborhoods are mixed in or located by nice neighborhoods.

Anyways, if you didn't like Dallas than you might not like Houston. They are different, but nothing drastic.

Why are you leaving Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston