Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have cable but I also had a small tv in the kitchen and a couple of other rooms that were non cable. Bought a small HDTV (15") and (7") with an antenna and neither will pick up an HD signal. The 7" gets channel 2 KPRC and that is it (other than the Spanish speaking stations which come in great). And, when I do get KPRC some days its great and other days it just pops, spits and skips through the entire broadcast. This is ridiculous.

Any suggestions from anyone to getting a signal on these small portables w/o cable? The TV is HD so I should not need a converter box but even with a nice antenna - zip other than KPRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
I think you do need a converter box, unless it has one built in.

We have 2 HD tvs at home, and need a converter box if we want to see an over the air HD signal.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,172 times
It sounds like you'll either have to move the TVs so you can get a better signal or you'll have to get a better antenna.
What kind of antenna do you have?
Is it the plain ol' rabbit ears antenna?
Those will usually work, but sometimes you might need a more powerful (and expensive) indoor antenna or get an outdoor antenna.
I know Terk makes good indoor antennas.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
I think you do need a converter box, unless it has one built in.

We have 2 HD tvs at home, and need a converter box if we want to see an over the air HD signal.
If his HDTV has an ATSC tuner (which unless he has one of the first HDTVs to ever come out years ago, he should have) then he will not need a converter box.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 PM

343 posts, read 942,626 times
How about trying one of them HD antennas?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:45 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
You may need an antenna with a booster.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:50 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,326 times
The most comprehensive solution is to mount a roof antenna. Failing that, get a signal amplifier:

The Magnavox M61111 pictured above is pretty cheap and has adjustable gain. Better still, to avoid additional wires, junk your existing antennas and look up the phrase "amplified antenna" on Amazon, look for the best reviewed item, and check out your local electronics retailer for the item in question.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:05 AM

222 posts, read 720,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
The most comprehensive solution is to mount a roof antenna. Failing that, get a signal amplifier:

The Magnavox M61111 pictured above is pretty cheap and has adjustable gain. Better still, to avoid additional wires, junk your existing antennas and look up the phrase "amplified antenna" on Amazon, look for the best reviewed item, and check out your local electronics retailer for the item in question.

Thanks, Zhang Fei. I was having similar problems....old tv with convertor box and old old set of rabbit ears. could hardly get anything besides channel 2 and some spanish channels. I will look into a good amplified antennae.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:12 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
This is a new HDTV 15" for a countertop so I don't plan to install an outdoor antenna for a kitchen TV. I have cable elsewhere in the home. I don't think I need the converter box because it isn't an old TV. I think it is a shame that the government forced HDTV on citizens when the signals are not strong enough to reach yet. I'm using an HD antenna that I bought for alongside the TV - still no signal on the major channels. I feel badly for those who cannot afford cable and can't get a signal in their homes w/o going to excessive means. I will look into the signal amplifier and see if that helps though before returning the TV.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:40 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
This is a new HDTV 15" for a countertop so I don't plan to install an outdoor antenna for a kitchen TV. I have cable elsewhere in the home. I don't think I need the converter box because it isn't an old TV. I think it is a shame that the government forced HDTV on citizens when the signals are not strong enough to reach yet. I'm using an HD antenna that I bought for alongside the TV - still no signal on the major channels. I feel badly for those who cannot afford cable and can't get a signal in their homes w/o going to excessive means. I will look into the signal amplifier and see if that helps though before returning the TV.
A roof antenna will obviously give the best reception when installed on the roof. However, even an attic installation will usually provide much better reception than just about any small indoor antenna. Of course, the trade-off with an attic installation is that you lose a fair amount of space in the attic. C'est la vie. Improving TV reception, like life, is full of trade-offs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: