Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,496,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
100% Green.

What does that mean when a *retail* energy provider makes that claim?

Green, meaning wind or other renewable source. Are you challenging the fact that the energy is not renewable, as claimed by the retail provider? Good thought. Honestly, I don't know and I don't have the time nor energy (bad pun ) to investigate every conspiracy theory. But if someone out there really knows the truth, please tell b/c I'd like to be informed, as I'm sure a lot of others would like to know the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,559,636 times
No, I wasn't challenging anything....just asking a question. You said that you use them, and commented that they are one of the cheapest 100% green providers. I've long wondered how they delivery their specific green produced energy to only their customers when they use the same distribution infrastructure as every other provider. No hidden agenda, just wondering if you knew.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 PM

410 posts, read 1,496,074 times
I have been on Power to choose as I stated in my post. That's where I got those 3 electric companies that I posted. I just wanted some insight on companies and peoples experiences. I appreciate all responses.

Any others?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 AM

93 posts, read 312,559 times
Ambit Energy. Very competitive rates, a free 3 day 2 night hotel stay for joining and travel reward points for every kilowatt you use that can be redeemed for airline tickets, cruises.

Oh, and you can qualify for FREE electricity by referring 15 friends, neighbors. They will average those 15 bills and deduct that amount from your bill, month after month after month.........

Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM

407 posts, read 1,737,147 times
I also left Gexa for Startex and have been happy with my them.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 AM

299 posts, read 1,017,260 times
I'd read all the fine print. my contract is up in a few weeks so i'm looking at switching. I've found things like YEP does not include TDSP pass-through charges like the advanced meter surcharge when figuring their rates, but StarTex does. Because of that YEP looks like they have a lower rate, but when you add everything in, they come out higher than StarTex.

As for the green energy plans, the commitment by the REP's is that they will purchase an ammount of energy equal to what you consume from renewable generators to be put into the grid. The poster above was correct in that there is no way to send "green" electrons to one house and not another.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,496,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggiegenes View Post
I'd read all the fine print. my contract is up in a few weeks so i'm looking at switching. I've found things like YEP does not include TDSP pass-through charges like the advanced meter surcharge when figuring their rates, but StarTex does. Because of that YEP looks like they have a lower rate, but when you add everything in, they come out higher than StarTex.

As for the green energy plans, the commitment by the REP's is that they will purchase an ammount of energy equal to what you consume from renewable generators to be put into the grid. The poster above was correct in that there is no way to send "green" electrons to one house and not another.
OP: Looks like pretty equal votes for all companies, with StarTex being slightly ahead. Aside fr YEP, it looks like you probably can't go wrong with a big company that offers a reasonable rate. If you believe in the previously posted link of company ratings, the "supposed" top 10 in order are: Reliant Energy (I have a few friends who like RE)Green Mountain Energy (I have a friend who likes GME)Direct EnergyBounce EnergyGexa EnergyStarTex PowerTXU EnergyChampion EnergyTexpo EnergyBrilliant Energy

Baggiegenes: After you do your thorough research, please let us know what you conclude. My contract is up in a few mths.
It's also my impression that REP will buy % of green energy that you use and put it in the net pool. The grid is one big circuit, can't direct energy to just one house. RCH99 misquoted me, I meant to say I subscribe to a green plan and Gexa has a good rate for such plan, not meant to say i get the actual product to my house for a certain price. But question is, do the companies actually buy said % of renewable or is it all oil? I don't know but I HOPE so; otherwise I'm just a first class idiot!!! Anyone here work for such a company and know the inside scoop?

Last edited by houstonfan; 01-14-2010 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 AM

14 posts, read 55,734 times
I use Southwest electric, they had better rate for 1yr among all others and the least added fees. They also had a low connection fee.

I broke down every company by the following:
Length of contract
$/KW
Total Monthly added fee by them( fed, state whatever )
Monthly Center Point fee ( you will be surprised how it varies place to place)
Complaint ranking from power to choose

Hope it helps

Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,453,659 times
Another good thing about StarTex is that they did not require a deposit to set up service (at least not for me).

Gexa on the other hand, wanted a $400 deposit even though I had used them before in the past and had never been late on a payment.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,870,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
Another vote for StarTex - good rate (11.3c I think), no problems and they gave me advance notice of my contract running out so that I could switch to another rate plan rather than just let my rate run out and stick me on their standard plan
Well, it's actually about 10.5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston