Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM

275 posts, read 836,169 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking into two really good jobs in Houston providing healthcare to people in either Acres Home or Aldine (Harris County Clinics). I have not spent much time in either area, but I'm hearing that they are not as safe as most of Houston. What are your opinions? Is one significantly safer than the other? I am a female, so safety is a concern.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
Acres Homes DEFINITELY isn't a safe area by any means. It's a wooded/urban inner-city community. It's a perfect place to commit a murder because some of it is rural and you can stash the body and go on like you have no care in the world. There's little commercial development and of the commercial businesses that do exist, they are the following: Liquor store, Timmy Chan's and/or Frenchy's, low-income grocery store(s), hole-in-the-wall churches on every/every other block in AH. The eastern half of AH is where a lot of the violence goes on: shootings, fights every other day, drug sales, etc. I'm a lifelong AH resident so I can vouch first-hand of the riff-raff that gives this community a bad name. Make it so bad, Acres Homes is one of the first black neighborhoods in Houston and the country so there's major history here.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
I live in a pocket area in southeast Houston that is surrounded by sketchy areas that would make a lot of people roll up their windows, lock the doors, and hit the gas.

It doesn't bother me.

I am no lightweight when it comes to urban areas, but acres homes, no. It is not a safe area. I would say no. You can go just a little closer in or a little farther out, take your pick.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 PM

235 posts, read 802,943 times
I grew up in Inwood Forest. My parents still live there. It's right next to Acres Homes. I still visit them and go there at night, but by no means do I consider it a safe area. It'll probably be okay to work there but be careful at night.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
Hello,
I am looking into two really good jobs in Houston providing healthcare to people in either Acres Home or Aldine (Harris County Clinics). I have not spent much time in either area, but I'm hearing that they are not as safe as most of Houston. What are your opinions? Is one significantly safer than the other? I am a female, so safety is a concern.
Thanks!
You can work there without problems, but I would not live in the areas (I grew up in Aldine). Id you work at the Aldine Clinic, try living in Humble it is a short trip down 59 to the clinic or Spring which is a short trip on Hardy. If you work at Acres Homes you have several choices.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:56 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Working there is fine but live outside of the area. Heights,Timbergrove,Candellight Plaza,many apartments along TC Jester near the loop are nice.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
use common sense and take appropriate precautions wherever you wind up working......

Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM

739 posts, read 2,135,074 times
I would not live in Acres Homes.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:23 PM

93 posts, read 283,405 times
Yeah, like what everyone else said, Acres Home isn't the best neighborhood to live in in Houston by any means. I've been to Acres Home many many times, my best friend's Grandma used to live there, but when we'd go at night we would almost always hear a gunshot(or 5). This was 10 years ago too, I can't imagine it's gotten much better since then. I went to Westfield, the HS that Acres Home is zoned to(or was back when I was going there) and let's just say it's not a very good school. Probably one of the worst in Houston. I've been to some of the worst parts of Houston, and Acres Home is definately up there.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM

235 posts, read 802,943 times
Westfield? That's in Spring ISD. Do you mean Washington? I think Acres Homes is served by HISD, Aldine ISD, and Klein ISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston