Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:12 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,743 times

Advertisements

What are some cool ideas and locations for a six year old boy's b-day party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,051,124 times
The arboretum at Memorial Park does nice birthday parties. A little guided tour of some of the trails is included. The usual places for the 6-year-old set are bouncy places, zoo, & HMNS. We've been to one at a pizza place in Rice Village... all the kids made their own pizzas. The swank bowling place downtown does birthday parties, which I think the 6-year-old boys would love, but it's expensive.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:23 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,115 times
^^^^ we've been to a couple GREAT parties at the Arboretum

The Edith Moore Bird Sanctuary (Memorial & Beltway 8) has neat parties in the log cabin w/ tours

A Broomball game at the local Hockey/Ice Skate rink

Laser tag

An indoor swim party at your local swim center is a fun change of pace in the winter time.

Mad Science parties are fun at that age, they make slime! (They have a website.)

A Cowboy theme & rent out your neighborhood park. Hire pony rides or a hay ride service.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM

739 posts, read 2,135,391 times
My son spent a night in the Aquarium at Moddy's garden with his scout buddies. Earlier in the day, the boys attended an IMAX movie, visited the Rain Forest and did a couple of other activities. At night, we had pizza and juice. The boys pulled out their sleeping bags and flashlight and slept in the Aquarium. For this city girl, it was better than camping out.

The Downtown Aquarium may do the same thing.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,627 times
When did birthday parties become a requirement?? When I was growing up I remember having a total of three parties. One when I turned 8 because we just moved and my mom thought it was a good idea so I could make friends. One at 13 and then one at 16. And when I say party it never included more than 5 kids. These days there seems to be soo much pressure to have over the top parties and to out to the next person. No offense to Mr.Football because I am sure he is just wanting some good ideas for a nice relaxed party for his kid.
My oldest who will be 6 as well keeps asking and I tell him its either a party or presents not both. So far he seems okay with just presents. He needs nothing though so the thought of even having 8 screaming children and there siblings all over to run wild does not appeal to me nor does shelling out $300 to have it some where else. What happened to good ol bday parties at the McDonalds with games like who has the longest french fry??? I know so not cool these days but really!?
A pirate theme is a fun one and if he into l egos you could always to a Lego party. Atlantis Legos seem to be the rage right now. I am sure you could find somebody to make a really cool Lego cake. Or how about a Wii party. Ask a close friend to borrow one...assuming you already own at least one...and then the adults and kids can play Wii and compete and stuff. The cake could be a giant Wii.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,115 times
I agree with TXgal. There's lots of pressure to have these elaborate & expensive parties. I'd say about 1 out 15 parties my kids go to are home parties. The others are big productions.

On the other hand, it's definately easier to fork over the cash & let someone else handle it. We've only had 2 home parties for our kids & I was a nervous wreck. The parents ended up staying & it was hard playing hostess to them & to the kiddo's. BTW, what's up with parents hanging around during these parties?? Not toddler parties but for the older kids.......at a party locations close to our homes. They could drive home in under 5 minutes & come back in 2 hours!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 AM

174 posts, read 488,242 times
we always had home parties and only with family kids. this year we had a bigger party for my second son at monkey joes and I don't think it was worth it. it's a good place for kids between 2 and 12 but it was expensive. next year back to home parties.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,627 times
Three cheers for home parties!!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 13,693 times
For that young of a crowd, rent a bouncer. My kids always loved and had a full day of fun with a bouncer. It's not that much and you can still have the party at home.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 AM

16 posts, read 57,633 times
Last year for my daughters sixth birthday we had a clown who did magic and made balloon animals. It was a great party for boys and girls which was necessary b/c my little girl likes inviting a mixed group. I think the balloon creations was the hit of the party!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston