Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 06:00 PM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

I was too young to go out at the time this thread was made. Now that I am at going out age, I rarely hear people talk about Washington Ave when in Houston. We usually go places Midtown, EaDo, or some spots near Uptown for raves. Is Washington Ave dying down? Or is it turning into a restaurant district?

Currently, EaDo I see the most potential. It's really turned from an abandoned warehouse ghost town to a vibrant revamped nightlife district. And its only due to improve, with the Hotel RL scheduled to start construction in the summer, and the Conservatory & Prohibition Super Club & Bar scheduled to open in Spring (replacing Chapman & Kirby). The new business from the hotel will create new satellite developments as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 07:09 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
As Washington Ave. is the "it" place right now, I have to wonder what will happen to the area when the upscale crowd goes elsewhere as historically they always move on to the next hot spot leaving the current to fall to disarray. Will it become a blighted area as most of the "clubby" areas of the past have.

Who Remembers:

The hot place at one time is now the area referred to as the Gulfton Ghetto. Then the hot place became Westheimer from the Galleria to Augusta and then again at Gessner/Westheimer

Then came the Richmond Strip

Then Downtown - shortlived as a hot place
Then Midtown - still has it's share of nightlife but not an overwhelming presence that usually leaves an area blighted when it disappears
Presently Washington Avenue

Some of these were from my underage drinking days and some before my nightlife days........

Crazy Banana
The Orchard Club on Glenmont
Bonaparte's Retreat
Barbary Coast
Ciao
Studabakers
The Fox Club
Cooters
Todds (Richmond)
Xanadu
The Place on Woodway
Genesis
Uncle Sams aka U.S. Disco
Annabelles
Squeeze Box
Todds (Clear Lake)
The Atrium Club (Clear Lake)
By chance, Was the Richmond Strip area the hot spot in the Mid 80s? I remember a club on Richmond that I went to at that time.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,133 times
Does anyone remember the name of the club downtown where when you went downstairs it was open to the bayou and seemed like you in a cave? For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that place.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:24 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
By chance, Was the Richmond Strip area the hot spot in the Mid 80s? I remember a club on Richmond that I went to at that time.
Yeah. You could barely drive down the street with all the cruising. There were a bunch from the club (various names) in the old theatre in the strip center on Richmond between Post Oak and Sage down to 6400 at 6400 Richmond. Mix of country and pop/rock clubs.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:57 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I was too young to go out at the time this thread was made. Now that I am at going out age, I rarely hear people talk about Washington Ave when in Houston. We usually go places Midtown, EaDo, or some spots near Uptown for raves. Is Washington Ave dying down? Or is it turning into a restaurant district?

Currently, EaDo I see the most potential. It's really turned from an abandoned warehouse ghost town to a vibrant revamped nightlife district. And its only due to improve, with the Hotel RL scheduled to start construction in the summer, and the Conservatory & Prohibition Super Club & Bar scheduled to open in Spring (replacing Chapman & Kirby). The new business from the hotel will create new satellite developments as well.
Washington Ave is more so diversifying it's scene with trendy hip restaurants more than anything. Which is cool imo.

Old 02-22-2020, 03:56 AM

653 posts, read 463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inwoodpines Alum View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the club downtown where when you went downstairs it was open to the bayou and seemed like you in a cave? For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that place.
Powertools?

Old 02-22-2020, 07:32 AM

170 posts, read 299,009 times
Oh the Orchard club! I moved to the orchard apts. after graduating college at ttu in 74. I alternated between the orchard and the bayou landing. I know, that was quite a dichotomy.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, that area used to be the swingles apartments, only young singles. One even had a disco next to the pool. Then they stopped allowing adults only and people moved and rents went way down. Now they're gang land (Southwest Cholos, MS-13, etc.). I wouldn't live there if the rent was free. Scary place.
The neighborhood went down the toilet because of the murders that happened at the Orchard Apartments in August '79. The first girl was murdered and the killer cut off her head and took it with him. Two weeks later, a second girl was murdered, just a few doors down from where the first girl was killed. At the time, I lived at the Napoleon Square Apts., a couple of blocks away. I also worked at the same office as the second victim. This scared the hell out of me and I moved out the next weekend. MANY people moved out of the area due to these murders, and that is what brought that whole area down. Rumors at the time ran rampant, and one theory was of a "crazed maintenance man" who made copies of apartment keys. Another theory was that both girls met their killer at "The Orchard Club", the disco that was located inside the apartment complex. One thing is for sure, this occurrence brought about "security gates" at apartment complexes here. Before this happened, every complex was just easy-access to anyone. This is one of the most famous crimes in Houston history, and remains unsolved to this day.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,138 times
Numbers and The Hop Clear Lake are the sole survivors in the club business. Didn’t see anyone mention Bayou Mammas.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:37 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Ha-ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clprodj View Post
Numbers and The Hop Clear Lake are the sole survivors in the club business. Didn’t see anyone mention Bayou Mammas.
Can't tell if you are joking, or are for real. Doing a search on this thread shows Bayou Mama's noted several times in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston