Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,787 times

Advertisements

I think the driving is a Texas thing. You have people from all over trying to drive on our roads so yeah, there's going to be problems. I went from Austin to Houston, and adapted quickly to the driving. I didn't think it was that bad. Then I moved from Houston back to Austin, and OMG I hated driving in Austin. San Antonio the problem was just slow driving. In Austin, I don't what changed but driving there just ticked me off. Don't even get me started on Dallas. I'd rather have multiple root canals then have to drive in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:02 PM

17 posts, read 74,225 times
What is the actual speed limit posted on the freeways there? Does the freeways have photo radar cameras?Do you all just drive fast on the freeway or also on the city streets? If everyone is driving so fast what about the police, do they give tickets out like crazy or do they tend to overlook it to an extent?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:45 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh97 View Post
What is the actual speed limit posted on the freeways there? Does the freeways have photo radar cameras?Do you all just drive fast on the freeway or also on the city streets? If everyone is driving so fast what about the police, do they give tickets out like crazy or do they tend to overlook it to an extent?
I don't know how about other places (I was in New York before and used subway), but you will get plenty of tickets and no, 90MPH are just some Internet heroes, it rarely goes over 80MPH, cops are everywhere.

(Btw: I came from Germany and I always wondered why people are buying those 5-liter M-packet BMWs, Infinitis and other sport cars, when maximum you could go is like 90MPH. That's barely a third gear in those cars, no?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh97 View Post
Pssh

Even the cops in Houston drive 90 on the freeways. If you're not doing at least 70 you're going to get run over, plain & simple.

I have seen some speed traps in far North Houston around Spring & The Woodlands though. They do monitor the speed up there.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
I went from Austin to Houston, and adapted quickly to the driving. I didn't think it was that bad. Then I moved from Houston back to Austin, and OMG I hated driving in Austin. San Antonio the problem was just slow driving. In Austin, I don't what changed but driving there just ticked me off.
The drivers in central Austin ticked me off too. Probably just all the college students and very young drivers... lots of cutting-off, honking, not paying attention. I suspect it's even worse these days with the texting and all that wasn't around several years ago, in addition to the thousands of extra cars on the roads there now from all of the transplants.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,897 times
People drive good and people drive badly in all states. I have lived in several states.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:26 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I think the drivers here are completely insane. You've got the speed demons going 90+ swerving across all lanes of traffic without signaling and leaving no room between themselves and other cars and then you've got other drivers who look completely terrified or half asleep going 30 on the highway and endangering both themselves and everyone else. I am surprised that there aren't more fatalities.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
To me the most dangerous driving happens in the feeders... There are people pulling out of the strip mall parking lots trying to go from 0 to 50 and there are the people that just got off the freeway trying to go from 70 to 40... and then there are those trying to get off the feeder into a parking lot...

and this is all in a limited 2 to 3 lane SPACE! its ridiculous and DANGEROUS at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston