Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 24,417 times

Advertisements

I'm a single male looking to relocate to either Texas or Colorado from Cincinnati. but not sure which. I've been to Colorado and love the Springs. Never been to Texas but the teacher pay(I'm a teacher) is much more than Colorado. If Colorado...Denver or the Springs?? If Texas...Houston or Austin?? Please advise!!

Last edited by mrplease; 03-01-2010 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,732,304 times
You should come for a visit. Only you can make that decision.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplease View Post
I'm a single male looking to relocate to either Texas or Colorado from Cincinnati. but not sure which. I've been to Colorado and love the Springs. Never been to Texas but the teacher pay(I'm a teacher) is much more than Colorado. If Colorado...Denver or the Springs?? If Texas...Houston or Austin?? Please advise!!
That's kind of like saying, "I can't decide between an apple and a pistachio nut". Kind of depends: do you like apples or pistachios, or both?

Texas and Colorado are very dissimilar. In almost every way. You'd have to decide which one you like. Small examples: it's blazing hot here in the summer, which lasts 8-9 months in Houston. It's freezing cold in Colorado, with a lot of snow. There are some big mountains in Colorado; Texas has mountains, too, but they are remote, desolate, and sparsely populated---a day's drive for most Texans to get there, and then only campsites when you do get there. The Texas Hill Country (Austin) is NOT the same as the Rockies. Houston is flat as a pancake. Dallas is on rolling prarie. San Antonio and Austin are in the Hill Country, and fairly arid.

Denver is a big city. So is San Antonio; Austin is trying to be. Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston are much, much BIGGER cities, with big freeways, big traffic, big everything.

Houston has the cheapest cost of living, followed by San Antonio, Dallas/Ft. Worth, then Austin at the highest end.

Texas has no state income tax but very high property taxes.

Texas has beaches (though they're not as nice as Florida's). Colorado has mountains in the west.

You're going to have to visit. It could be love, hate, or "meh" at first sight on any of these places.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,755 times
Denver is better for pulling chics

Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
What do you teach?

Your chances of finding a teaching job anyplace in Colorado that you'd want to live (Springs, Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins) is probably 50 times lower than your chance of finding a teaching job in Texas. Colorado attracts out-of-state teachers by the thousands and even the traditionally most in-demand teachers like HS physics have a tough time finding work.

Your chances of finding teaching jobs in Texas are considerably higher depending on what you teach and where you live. But you'll still most likely need to complete your Texas certification before applying to jobs Even then, Texas teaching jobs are not a given with today's economy, especially in the more desirable locations.

Of the major cities in Texas my own rough guess is that jobs will be easiest to find in the greater Houston area followed by Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, and finally Austin. And when I say "area" I'm really talking about the greater metro areas out to 1 hour or so from the central cities.

If I were single, I'd not want to live anywhere in Texas but those 4 metro areas. I teach in the Waco area at a good school with the best facilities and highest pay of any school in the area. Yet we have a hard time keeping young single teachers due to the lack of social life. They either (1) get married and settle in for the long haul, or (2) eventually move to younger hipper areas....usually the DFW metro area because it's the closest and easiest place to find teaching jobs.

Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs and Fort Collins are great places to live. Just don't plan on finding teaching jobs.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:44 PM

4 posts, read 13,356 times
Default Colorado

I lived in Denver, Colorado for 12 years. Nice place to live, clean and people are friendly too. For teacher job, there are many school districts are cutting their budget big time. They are talking about cut 300 teacher job, 4 days school. So, it is not good idea to look for teacher job here.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:30 PM

129 posts, read 460,684 times
For what it's worth...

We live 35 miles west of downtown Houston. Our school district's long term plans include building 21 new schools (elementary, jr high, and high schools) in the next ten years. They've built 24 schools over the last 10 years. The district just north of us is growing even faster.

I'm not a teacher, but it sure seems like there is a demand out here for them. The majority of folks moving this way seem to have school age kids.

Even our church said they are struggling to keep up with all the preschool kids moving in (classroom space).

Old 03-12-2010, 01:48 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Denver is better for pulling chics
Houston is better for pulling Pork

Old 05-08-2010, 12:06 PM

8 posts, read 17,147 times
I would say Austin. I'm from Texas, born and raised an hour outside Houston. I went to college in Austin and lived there for a total of 15 years. Austin is much better than Houston, in my opinion. It is just a prettier place and probably overall safer. Pflugerville and Round Rock school districts are better than Austin ISD. As for Texas teacher pay, I am also a teacher. Dallas area school districts pay better than Houston or Austin. New teachers start at about 45k in this area. I'm in Richardson ISD and it is an awesome school district. Plano ISD, Mckinney and Allen are also great districts. I don't care too much for the Dallas area though.

I am actually getting ready to relocate to Colorado...not sure if I'll teach or return to child welfare field.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 PM

5 posts, read 10,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejai85 View Post
I would say Austin. I'm from Texas, born and raised an hour outside Houston. I went to college in Austin and lived there for a total of 15 years. Austin is much better than Houston, in my opinion. It is just a prettier place and probably overall safer. Pflugerville and Round Rock school districts are better than Austin ISD. As for Texas teacher pay, I am also a teacher. Dallas area school districts pay better than Houston or Austin. New teachers start at about 45k in this area. I'm in Richardson ISD and it is an awesome school district. Plano ISD, Mckinney and Allen are also great districts. I don't care too much for the Dallas area though.

I am actually getting ready to relocate to Colorado...not sure if I'll teach or return to child welfare field.

Your a teacher in Richardson? Do you know if they are jiring any teachers around that and the Dallas area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston