Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 PM

657 posts, read 2,546,917 times

Advertisements

Lol at Pancho's. Yeah they're still here 25 years later. League City and Clear Lake have built up a lot. Sounds to me like you should sell and go somewhere like The Woodlands where you get the city and rural experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 12:09 PM

267 posts, read 1,836,705 times
That is too funny about Panchos. We were just talking about that the other day on how we missed it and the little flags they put on the table. I also miss the little taquerias, especially the tortas and gorditas. Yum! I miss Wings n More. You can't get decent wings up here or even Mexican food. I miss Galveston even though its been several years since I've been. I miss it all!!! Someone please bring me home!!! LOL

PS: The driving up here sucks! Not that it didn't in Houston but at least in Houston you can zoom around the slow folks in another lane and get to where you need to. Up here they drive sooooooo SLOW! And its all mountain windy roads so its not easy to pass the country bumpkins up. I need to tone down my Houston road rage, hehe.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,641 times
"I miss the smell of the gulf. Oddly, I miss the stifling heat and humidity. I miss getting into arguments with strangers over nothing. I know that sounds weird but even though it's not good behavior, it somehow seems normal. I miss the warm water at Galveston. Most of all, I miss Pancho's all-you-can-eat Mexican Buffet. They had those in Austin too! When you look at it objectively, Houston is a miserable place but something about it draws us all back."
=============================
My gosh, I could have written the same thing...although I'd write "Los Cucos" (my fave) instead of Pancho's, lol! Two years ago, my husband and I moved to Omaha, NE due to his job relocation. For two years I was mostly depressed! Now, we're moving back (end of June) and I've never been happier!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 AM

93 posts, read 335,033 times
This thread is too funny..heheheh..I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'll be in town next Tuesday and I cant' wait to EAT, EAT, and EAT!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 11,491 times
Default missing Houston

I don't miss the heat in the summer. I miss the great food, the wonderful shopping, and the terrific opera and symphony.

The cost of living is low and I will probably move back.

Houston also has some beautiful areas.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,514,595 times
I moved to Dallas for college and ran right back, fleaing that concrete jungle the minute I could. I moved to The Woodlands (and no, it ain't Houston) for work and couldn't wait to get back. Burned up the freeway between it and Houston.
Despite the weather, certain parts of the city are like small towns, each complete with all the services,culture and entertainment needed. Its got to be one of the most convenient cities I've ever been in. I don't really need to leave Uptown for anything, unless I want to go to the airport or the museums.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:25 PM

197 posts, read 262,037 times
Yes, I'm in Boston for school. (I live in Allston.) I'm will be moving to Montrose and transferring to UH in Fall 2008, (for personal reasons) but I have been wanting to come back for a while! YAY for affordability, good food, shopping and opera!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:35 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,584,912 times
Did 13 months outside Raleigh, NC. It was rather...interesting...to move from one of the nation's largest metros to a much smaller place and have people there ask me if I grew up on a cattle ranch because I came from Texas.

After awhile I just play into it, exaggerating the accent and telling tall tales of tumbleweeds and buffalo stampedes. I'm not very convincing doing it while wearing a leather jacket, a Nine Inch Nails T-shirt and Chuck Taylors, but it's fun to try.

And yes, after a couple months of getting around on obsolete roads filled with drivers who think they're auditioning for a Dukes of Hazzard remake, and not working - yes, I wanted to come back.

And I did.

As for Pancho's, they seem not to be around that much anymore. The one at Almeda Mall is still there and there's another on I-45 north somewhere amidst the billboards and furniture stores. The one in League City is gone and it's a steakhouse or something now.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM

176 posts, read 358,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Did 13 months outside Raleigh, NC. It was rather...interesting...to move from one of the nation's largest metros to a much smaller place and have people there ask me if I grew up on a cattle ranch because I came from Texas.

After awhile I just play into it, exaggerating the accent and telling tall tales of tumbleweeds and buffalo stampedes. I'm not very convincing doing it while wearing a leather jacket, a Nine Inch Nails T-shirt and Chuck Taylors, but it's fun to try.

And yes, after a couple months of getting around on obsolete roads filled with drivers who think they're auditioning for a Dukes of Hazzard remake, and not working - yes, I wanted to come back.

And I did.

As for Pancho's, they seem not to be around that much anymore. The one at Almeda Mall is still there and there's another on I-45 north somewhere amidst the billboards and furniture stores. The one in League City is gone and it's a steakhouse or something now.

San Antonio still has a Pancho's on Marbach and Horal Dr.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 PM

12,862 posts, read 9,608,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
We just moved up to the New England area and I'm ready to come back to Houston. I thought I'd be ready to leave Houston and ready for a new change. The heat is terrible, traffic is horrible, crime, etc. But now that we moved waaaaay up north, Houston doesn't look that bad anymore. I miss family and friends. I miss not being able to go to the TX Renaissance Festival this year or the Galleria/Uptown park during Christmas. I miss seeing the Nutcracker and other great concerts and festivals coming to town. It will be awhile until we can go down to visit since we are having a baby in a few months and won't be able to travel anytime soon.

We moved up North in March and have to stay at 2 years for my husbands job commitment. He hates Houston and doesnt want to go back but I think he's changing his mind about it because of family. Life up here in Vermont is beautiful and people are so friendly but I love living in a big city. The weather here is nicer than Houston except for winter. Shoveling your car out of snow is such a pain in the butt.

Anyone ever move away from Houston and wanted to come back? Share your stories please!

By the way, what am I missing down in Houston? Whats been going on? I've been gone about 3 months now.

Thanks!
Couldn't you just drive to NY or another large city for plays and Christmas lights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston