Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 AM

29 posts, read 112,703 times

Advertisements

I looked on the website for the state about how to register my vehicle, but I still have questions. I was hoping maybe someone would be so kind as to help.

I'm from a state that doesn't require vehicle inspections, so I'm very unfamiliar with that process. Where do I go to get my vehicle inspected? I saw a signholder off of SW freeway in front of an auto mechanic/body shop that said "state inspections $5". On the website, it said inspections are $45. Would I be doing myself a disservice going to this body shop to get a $5 inspection, or would the state accept that? If not, where exactly do I need to go? Also, what types of things do they inspect for?

Also, I will admit, my current registration (from the state I'm from) expired already, will this be a problem?

Just to verify, do I need to bring the title and proof of insurance? What else do I need, if anything?

Thank you, I really appreciate any information. I would call the office directly and speak with them, but forums are usually nicer than the people on the phone, and more patient when there are several questions.

ETA: Also, I don't have a place in the front of my car to hold a license plate (Chrysler Sebring convertible). What do I do? I have no idea how to get a license plate onto the front of my car when there is absolutely nothing to attach it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM

bump

Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM

13 posts, read 49,386 times
New Residents

I recommend filling out the forms prior to going. It will make things a whole lot easier for ya.

Regarding your inspection, there are a million places that you can go to get it done. Just look for the sign that has the state of texas on it and says inspection. You will need a safety inspection, as well as an emissions inspection since you are in Harris county.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:06 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Illini View Post
New Residents

I recommend filling out the forms prior to going. It will make things a whole lot easier for ya.

Regarding your inspection, there are a million places that you can go to get it done. Just look for the sign that has the state of texas on it and says inspection. You will need a safety inspection, as well as an emissions inspection since you are in Harris county.
All of the above. You shouldn't have a problem despite the expired sticker from ex-state.

I have never heard of a $5 inspection fee. That sounds suspect to me.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:37 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I believe you will need a Tx Drivers License in order to register the car. And yes, proof of Ins. is a must!
As far as putting on a front plate....many people don't carry a front plate. Not saying it is right, and you do run the risk of being pulled over...but...
If you do want a front plate....your cars manufacturer will sell you front plate holder and will drill into your front bumper.

PS...Stay away from the $5 inspection places!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 PM
l3m

105 posts, read 291,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I believe you will need a Tx Drivers License in order to register the car.
It's the other way around. You need to register your vehicles first before you can get a TX drivers license. The requirements for new residents applying for drivers license is in the link below.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Driver License Frequently Asked Questions

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3m View Post
It's the other way around. You need to register your vehicles first before you can get a TX drivers license. The requirements for new residents applying for drivers license is in the link below.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Driver License Frequently Asked Questions
Oops....sorry...thanks for the correction!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Thank you for your replies. Ok, I'll stay away from the $5 inspection, lol.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:22 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,519,758 times
A family member who moved here from out of state got a ticket for not having a front license plate. I'd highly recommend visiting a Chrysler dealer and getting a holder installed (or buy one and install it yourself).

Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM

84 posts, read 236,072 times
Great information here. I'm also moving to Texas, but will by flying in from overseas and driving a rental car until I purchase on, hopefully ASAP.

I assume I can get an insurance pre-contract agreement to go into effect when I give them a call on the day I purchase a vehicle.
Is that correct or is there more to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston