Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Houston in East Texas?
Yes 38 27.34%
No 72 51.80%
Umm...yeah, kinda 25 17.99%
Not sure 2 1.44%
Other 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
More akin, yes. But the reason is not because both have large Latin communities. Nacadoches and Houston both have larger white communities but that's not why either. The Latin community in Houston isn't exactly the same as the one in San Antonio. Sam Antonio is predominately Tex-Mex, while Houston's Latin community is more diverse including a lot of Tex-Mex and Mexican but also from plenty of other nationalities. But the Latin community is still more similar to San Antonio than the white community is with Houston and Nacadoches. Sure, there are cabins in Houston I didn't say there aren't. But that's only a percentage of non Cajun whites. So in the end, culturally it's a lot more similar to San Antonio, but in reality, it's neither.
The Cajun thing has nothing to do with it for me. I had trouble reading your post and can't realy see what connections you made between Houston and SA.

Another problem is that Houston has become so huge since its more East Texan days. Gulfton can certainly make you feel as if you are part of "South Texas". Does the North Forest area give that same feeling? I'd say no.

There are many different "Houstons" that I don't think most here are at all very familiar with. Culturally, the city is becoming its own thing. Geographically, I'll call it Southeast Texas, which could be considered a subregion of East Texas and/or South Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Does that mean Houston is culturally more akin to San Antonio than Nacogdoches? Because I would say it has significant ties to both. I think a lot of you are possibly thrown off by the overwhelming Latin community that now exists in Houston, but up until the 1990 census, Blacks were the largest minority group in the city; a trait much more typical of East Texas than all of Texas (and certainly South Texas) in general.
That Hispanic designation was never in the census until recently. Back then if you weren't black you were white. Even nowadays you can look at most wanted posters and see all of the "white people" on it. So it is not like this is some new thing that exploded all the sudden. Well it kind of did. It's called being conquered by womb. People who were not familiar with Houston back then and pull their facts out of books make themselves obvious in threads like these.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
The Cajun thing has nothing to do with it for me. I had trouble reading your post and can't realy see what connections you made between Houston and SA.

Another problem is that Houston has become so huge since its more East Texan days. Gulfton can certainly make you feel as if you are part of "South Texas". Does the North Forest area give that same feeling? I'd say no.

There are many different "Houstons" that I don't think most here are at all very familiar with. Culturally, the city is becoming its own thing. Geographically, I'll call it Southeast Texas, which could be considered a subregion of East Texas and/or South Texas.
Well if you don't understand my connections and differences with Houston and San Antonio, then you just don't understand the Latin community. But I agree with the last points you made that it could be a subregion to both East Texas or South Texas geographically. But a lot of people here are debating the cultural similarities of East Texas and South Texas and Houston while certain parts have certain similarities to East Texas, as a whole the culture is more similar to South Texas, even though it's really neither.

To explain what I was saying about my connections with San Antonio is this: The San Antonio region is fairly more Tex Mex and Mexican than anything. Houston has a huge amount of that, but it has plenty from other nationalities such as Central American countries, Venezuela, Colombia, Cuba and Puerto Rico. These are different Hispanic cultures, which is why I wouldn't completely compare Houston's Latin community to San Antonio.

Here's a very simple way of viewing things.

If Mexican & Tex Mex = South Texas. And Cajun and southern = East Texas, then Houston is a lot more South Texas culturally than East Texas. Now it goes a lot deeper than that for both regions, but it's still very true.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
1. Geographically it's both East and South. You can apply Houston to both geographic areas.

2. While this is where the country people live, only about half living in the areas you mentioned are country. A lot of these are suburban planned communities (are you forgetting the woodlands in the area?). So it's only a small percentage of country people living in the metro, so I don't see why you look at a few guys far north Greater Houston (and even some in far Southwest of Greater Houston) and say that's enough country boys compared to the millions and millions that aren't.

3. Sure part of it is, but part of it isn't. Am I disagreeing that Conroe feels like East Texas? No I'm not (even tho it is a lot more civilized then East Texas is). But even then, sure Conroe has an East Texas feel. But why are you basing the whole Houston off of Conroe. I don't know the last time you checked, but there is a lot more to Greater Houston than Conroe and also the other areas.

I would also like to add, out of all the Houston area businesses with "South Texas" in the name (i.e. south Texas College of Law) I don't remember hearing of a Houston business with "East Texas" in the name.
The reason this was my response to Southern Boys is because while Houston does have these things, he is favoring the East Texas geography and culture to the South Texas, even though it is more far more South Texas culturally than East Texas (but in the end it's neither like I say). Geographically, they're about the same, culturally, it favors South Texas by a lot

Some people are misunderstanding me thinking I'm saying Houston doesn't have Cajun culture. I'm saying it does, just a lot less than other cultures, which is why I say it's less East Texas than south Texas

Old 03-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
That Hispanic designation was never in the census until recently. Back then if you weren't black you were white. Even nowadays you can look at most wanted posters and see all of the "white people" on it. So it is not like this is some new thing that exploded all the sudden. Well it kind of did. It's called being conquered by womb. People who were not familiar with Houston back then and pull their facts out of books make themselves obvious in threads like these.
Well, I was in fact a baby back then, so wouldn't have been old enough to recall the actual demographics of Houston at that time. I certainly never said Mexicans just came out of nowhere, but what I do know for a fact is that their history and heritage in Houston is not as deep as blacks. Houston also does not have the large Texican population like SA does.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Well if you don't understand my connections and differences with Houston and San Antonio, then you just don't understand the Latin community. But I agree with the last points you made that it could be a subregion to both East Texas or South Texas geographically. But a lot of people here are debating the cultural similarities of East Texas and South Texas and Houston while certain parts have certain similarities to East Texas, as a whole the culture is more similar to South Texas, even though it's really neither.
I disagree wholeheardetly. I'd say it's an even mix. South Texas does not have the southern Black heritage that Houston does. This can't be overlooked.

Quote:
To explain what I was saying about my connections with San Antonio is this: The San Antonio region is fairly more Tex Mex and Mexican than anything. Houston has a huge amount of that, but it has plenty from other nationalities such as Central American countries, Venezuela, Colombia, Cuba and Puerto Rico. These are different Hispanic cultures, which is why I wouldn't completely compare Houston's Latin community to San Antonio.
I know all of this well.

Quote:
If Mexican & Tex Mex = South Texas. And Cajun and southern = East Texas, then Houston is a lot more South Texas culturally than East Texas. Now it goes a lot deeper than that for both regions, but it's still very true.
Not at all, actually. Cajun culture does not have any significant impact on East Texas outside of the Gulf counties.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:29 PM

Gunion Powder, will you please read what I'm saying more carefully. You're not understanding what I'm saying, so you are arguing against things I'm not saying, so this isn't making any sense.

Quote:
I disagree wholeheardetly. I'd say it's an even mix. South Texas does not have the southern Black heritage that Houston does. This can't be overlooked.
Houston's black population isn't the same creole black population as East Texas and Louisiana. After the Hurricane, it had a serge of "creole blacks", but even then, the majority of blacks in Houston have a long Houston ancestry, as do the blacks elsewhere in America to their place. The East Texas culture is based about the people's cultures in East Texas and the people's culture in Greater Houston. In which there is a good bit of in Houston, but completely overshadowed by the South Texas Tex-Mex that naturally stays in the area.

Quote:
I know all of this well.
I restated it because you said you were having a hard time understanding my similarities and differences in San Antonio's and Houston's Latin community.

Quote:
Not at all, actually. Cajun culture does not have any significant impact on East Texas outside of the Gulf counties.

This is something I sort of agree with, but again this isn't my point. I wrote that because people here have often talked about East Texas culture in Houston found in the cajun roots.

Again, culturally, Houston is more similar to South Texas than East Texas (though it's neither at the same time), geographically, it could be either.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Gunion Powder, will you please read what I'm saying more carefully. You're not understanding what I'm saying, so you are arguing against things I'm not saying, so this isn't making any sense.

Houston's black population isn't the same creole black population as East Texas and Louisiana. After the Hurricane, it had a serge of "creole blacks", but even then, the majority of blacks in Houston have a long Houston ancestry, as do the blacks elsewhere in America to their place. The East Texas culture is based about the people's cultures in East Texas and the people's culture in Greater Houston. In which there is a good bit of in Houston, but completely overshadowed by the South Texas Tex-Mex that naturally stays in the area.

I restated it because you said you were having a hard time understanding my similarities and differences in San Antonio's and Houston's Latin community.

This is something I sort of agree with, but again this isn't my point. I wrote that because people here have often talked about East Texas culture in Houston found in the cajun roots.
I'm reading your posts just fine now. The issue is that your points are incorrect. I've already said that Cajun or creole influence has nothing to do with any of MY points, so I don't know why they keep being brought up.

I don't know where you're a native of, but it sounds as if your argument is based on many misconceptions of East Texas itself.

Quote:
Again, culturally, Houston is more similar to South Texas than East Texas (though it's neither at the same time), geographically, it could be either.
Again, I disagree and you haven't proven it to becorrect. You can't simply focus on the Latin connection between Houston and South Texas while disregarding the black and southern connection between the former and East Texas.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I'm reading your posts just fine now. The issue is that your points are incorrect. I've already said that Cajun or creole influence has nothing to do with any of MY points, so I don't know why they keep being brought up.

I don't know where you're a native of, but it sounds as if your argument is based on many misconceptions of East Texas itself.

Again, I disagree and you haven't proven it to becorrect. You can't simply focus on the Latin connection between Houston and South Texas while disregarding the black and southern connection between the former and East Texas.
No, you're not understanding at all because you keep arguing things I'm not saying and putting words in my keyboard? and then arguing against points I haven't even made.

I said SOLEY of the latin population in Houston when I compare it to the cultures in South Texas. Just like I East Texas doesn't have a whole bunch of the other cultures in Houston, South Texas doesn't either. Are there other cultures besides the latin culture in Houston? yes, but I'm not comparing those because that's the criteria there. Just like I don't look at the Houston Korean population when comparing to East Texas. You're the one adding other cultures into the equation. If you can't understand that than you shouldn't be on city data.

That being said, another thing I've consistently said that you're not understanding is that I never said that YOU said anything about cajun having to do with it. Read past posts, other people have. And that's what you replied to and that's what I've responded. I've said (just like you have) that Houston's cajun culture is minimal.

Again, if you can't understand then I don't know what else to tell you.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
1. Geographically it's both East and South. You can apply Houston to both geographic areas.

2. While this is where the country people live, only about half living in the areas you mentioned are country. A lot of these are suburban planned communities (are you forgetting the woodlands in the area?). So it's only a small percentage of country people living in the metro, so I don't see why you look at a few guys far north Greater Houston (and even some in far Southwest of Greater Houston) and say that's enough country boys compared to the millions and millions that aren't.

3. Sure part of it is, but part of it isn't. Am I disagreeing that Conroe feels like East Texas? No I'm not (even tho it is a lot more civilized then East Texas is). But even then, sure Conroe has an East Texas feel. But why are you basing the whole Houston off of Conroe. I don't know the last time you checked, but there is a lot more to Greater Houston than Conroe and also the other areas.

I would also like to add, out of all the Houston area businesses with "South Texas" in the name (i.e. south Texas College of Law) I don't remember hearing of a Houston business with "East Texas" in the name.
I'm just going to wait for Southern to reply to this ^ because the post you, Gunion Powder, are making are irrelevant to what I say.

Quote:
I have lived in Venezuela and Louisiana before in my life. I can sincerely tell you that the Venezuelan culture in Houston is way less "watered down" how you say it than the Cajun is. And that says a lot.

But that's besides the point. What you're arguing isn't what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that you rarely notice the Cajun culture because too many other cultures that exist in Houston with larger presences. So it's absolutely nothing like being in South Louisiana or even Port Arthur. Why are you trying to make Houston more Cajun than It is? Let's call it what it is. Houston has Cajun influence but it is minimal compared to other cultures that exist. And the Cajun culture that does exist is a blurry imagine of what it is in the Cajun country

Edit:.

Let me give you an example. I take a group of Venezuelans fresh from Venezuela out to each an arepa and they'll say "oh this is nice. Reminds me of home". I'll take cajuns fresh out of Louisiana to eat boudin or pistolets and they'll say "this isn't boudin! This should be banned". I've done it numerous time with different places and it has always happened. I'm sure the same can be said of Vietnamese.

Now again, even tho I think it is watered down in that sense, my point is that too many other cultures overpower the cajuns in Houston to call Houston heavily Cajun.
And this ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston