Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2024, 03:01 PM

51 posts, read 7,463 times

Advertisements

This could very well be nothing, but I noticed that all of the plywood on the Coal Exchange Building was recently painted white. I wonder if the city is beginning to get on the owners ass about it sitting vacant.

It's still an absolute eyesore, but I was surprised by how much better it looked compared to the brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 06:00 PM

4,991 posts, read 9,002,183 times
Fingers crossed something is underway at the Coal Exchange. That would be a big project for downtown.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:09 AM

Looks like Edward Jones is moving into the building on the corner of 4th and 8th st. A bunch of work trucks out there, and their name is on the top of the building now.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:29 PM

The unfortunate news continues to pile on, Rapid Fire Pizza in Pullman has closed their doors. This marks three businesses in the last week that have shut their doors, Stellar Noodle Co, Apex Beverages, and now Rapid.. I have a feeling Crisppis is next too.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbabbington96 View Post
The unfortunate news continues to pile on, Rapid Fire Pizza in Pullman has closed their doors. This marks three businesses in the last week that have shut their doors, Stellar Noodle Co, Apex Beverages, and now Rapid.. I have a feeling Crisppis is next too.
On a different note though, I was on Apple Maps looking for an address for something and while doing so I noticed a pin for a business at the old Surin of Thailand spot downtown, Dos Amigos. I looked it up and it is showing on Yelp and some other sites as recently created, it's a Steakhouse and Salad Bar joint. Anyone hear anything about this?

Old 05-07-2024, 06:26 PM

31 posts, read 5,820 times
When it rains it pours, but that doesn't surprise me about Rapid Fire Pizza. I have been expecting them to close forever. That is just not a great spot for a grab and go eating spot like the pizza place or five guys before it due to the lack of easy parking. I also can't think Crisppis is going to make it that much longer.

Hopefully that is true about the old Surin spot. It has been sitting empty for quite a while. You can find out a lot from the city permits they put in the window, so that might give a clue. Speaking of Pullman, I wonder what ever happened to Dickey's BBQ going in next to Cold Stone. I remember they announced it and it seems that it never came to fruition.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstap View Post
When it rains it pours, but that doesn't surprise me about Rapid Fire Pizza. I have been expecting them to close forever. That is just not a great spot for a grab and go eating spot like the pizza place or five guys before it due to the lack of easy parking. I also can't think Crisppis is going to make it that much longer.

Hopefully that is true about the old Surin spot. It has been sitting empty for quite a while. You can find out a lot from the city permits they put in the window, so that might give a clue. Speaking of Pullman, I wonder what ever happened to Dickey's BBQ going in next to Cold Stone. I remember they announced it and it seems that it never came to fruition.
Regarding the Dickies location, I was told that the contractors walked off after more than half of the work was done and the franchise owner wouldn't pay. Afterwards he declared bankruptcy and both Pullman and Dickies were going after him legally. This is just what I heard though. I'm more curious about the pet store in the old Jos A Bank that was demolished last year and then no one ever showed back up.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbabbington96 View Post
Regarding the Dickies location, I was told that the contractors walked off after more than half of the work was done and the franchise owner wouldn't pay. Afterwards he declared bankruptcy and both Pullman and Dickies were going after him legally. This is just what I heard though. I'm more curious about the pet store in the old Jos A Bank that was demolished last year and then no one ever showed back up.
Forgot about the pet store. The management at Pullman certain has some work ahead of it to get that placed filled back up.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstap View Post
Forgot about the pet store. The management at Pullman certain has some work ahead of it to get that placed filled back up.
Jos A Bank, the Dickies location, the church above them, Surin Thai, and now rapid fire.. all closed.

Pullman does not have a "lack of people downtown" issue, there's really no reason all of those locations should be vacant. The only thing I can think of is that Pullman is charging rent that is way too high.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:33 AM

I've always heard the rent is very high at Pullman, which is fine if you have a popular business like Black Sheep or Starbucks. However, it can make it tough on places that don't have a large customer base and it makes it tough to entice new businesses to move in. Hopefully their management understands having 100% capacity at a lower rent is much more beneficial than 50% at high rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington