Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2022, 07:30 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War-Lord View Post
Great news. I’m excited to see what goes there.
Me too. There’s so much potential in that site for a multitude of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 05:28 PM

Huntington ranks 29th in study of best run larger cities in the US:

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/hu...st-run-cities/

Old 08-07-2022, 04:55 PM

Editorial: Huntington takes best path for expanding broadband

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/opin...html?fs=e&s=cl

Huntington considers more street improvement projects:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...2d3483ff4.html

Guyandotte boat ramp renovation nearing completion:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...af20eadd8.html

Old 08-09-2022, 05:59 PM

Hal Greer improvements coming soon:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...85b7e947b.html

Old 08-14-2022, 04:50 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
One question I have regarding the fiber broadband project is why is it taking so long to get this project up and going? It was around 13 to 14 months ago that the City Council hired a consultant to develop a program/project strategy and now the reported timeline is completion by the end of 2024. It's going to take 2 1/2 more years? Not to mention that it was initially suggested a few years ago.

For perspective, when Chattanooga created their fiber network, it was up and running in less than 2 years. And that was almost 15 years ago.

This network is much needed for the city. It just seems like City Hall is taking their normal slow walking pace in trying to get something accomplished. This is the type of project that needs urgency pushing it to a quicker completion, especially when you consider that the majority of the infrastructure needs are already in place.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:29 AM

I think there have been a few things that have slowed the process down some. When looking for funding, the city was awarded a grant but then Comcast appealed the grant and the city had to wait for that process to play out. Thankfully, Comcast lost their appeal.

It also seems like the overall project had increased in size. They were only initially going to do a fiber loop and it was going to be for businesses. When I asked about providing fiber for residences, it was stated that it wasn’t part of the initial plans. Per the article released yesterday though, they are putting in 183 miles of fiber optic lines and are planning to make it available to residences too. I’d imagine that’ll take a couple of years for planning, permitting and trying not to disrupt other things too much. Sounds like it’ll be worth it in the end.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...d5dfa7dea.html

Old 08-18-2022, 08:56 AM

84 posts, read 59,170 times
Did they knock down that old church by the Marshall Stadium? I didn’t know if it was abandoned or what but it had been there for decades.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:31 AM

I noticed yesterday that they had started tearing that church down. Marshall already owns it and the last I had heard, they were just using it for storage. I haven’t heard what they plan on doing there but I’ve always felt like that area over to 20th street would be a great area for further development like a Chik-Fil-a or another small row of businesses. Being so close to MU and right on 5th Ave it would do great business.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I think there have been a few things that have slowed the process down some. When looking for funding, the city was awarded a grant but then Comcast appealed the grant and the city had to wait for that process to play out. Thankfully, Comcast lost their appeal.

It also seems like the overall project had increased in size. They were only initially going to do a fiber loop and it was going to be for businesses. When I asked about providing fiber for residences, it was stated that it wasn’t part of the initial plans. Per the article released yesterday though, they are putting in 183 miles of fiber optic lines and are planning to make it available to residences too. I’d imagine that’ll take a couple of years for planning, permitting and trying not to disrupt other things too much. Sounds like it’ll be worth it in the end.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...d5dfa7dea.html

I wasn't aware that the initial plans only called for the business loop you mentioned. With that said, the article also mentions that most of the infrastructure is already in place since the plan is to use existing utility poles. Not having to install that extra infrastructure only reinforces my thoughts that this project should move at a faster pace going forward. As I stated in my previous post, urgency is the word. At the very least, have the network up and running in the downtown core ASAP.

Comcast's actions should only serve as another reminder why the city needs more competition for internet service. Also, it's a reminder that it was a bad decision by the City Council to award such a long term contract to Comcast a few years ago.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:42 PM

I agree very much on the urgency. You want any advantage you can to attract new business, residents, etc. Hopefully they will be able to get each completed section up and running as they go which you would think would help with the financing aspect to have paying customers.

The city contract to Comcast definitely wasn’t in our best interest. Unfortunately, these big companies are the only ones that can typically afford to put the infrastructure in and this allows them to hold everyone else hostage to their prices and service. The city actually tried to get Comcast to partner with them in this venture but they refused. I don’t think that they had any confidence that the city could get it done themselves. They will likely lose a lot of customers once this gets up and running though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington