Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on the reputation of Marshall University and the strength of their business program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,913 times
Having sent one child to that institution, I would recommend it to anyone. Had the first electronic computer library in the USA..opened it to the high schools in the region, including Kentucky...is a small university and makes up for all of that with their incredible standard of excellence...
It's drawbacks are the same as WVU...sequestered in the center of a city...if it was the campus of Miami of Ohio, it would be perfect.

Cannot tell you about the business school...if you are a freshman...live in the dorm...the only way to travel that first year...will be that first test of life...

Old 05-06-2008, 02:13 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,948,424 times
From all I've heard, the business school is very good and does a good job to prepare you for the real world. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it, but I've had no experience with it myself. Marshall is building two new dorms which will open this fall and the new Rec Center is to open in the first part of '09. Living in the dorms would also keep you close to downtown Huntington and all that it has to offer. Lots of good things going on here so I highly recommend that you give it a try.
Tim

Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Having sent one child to that institution, I would recommend it to anyone. Had the first electronic computer library in the USA..opened it to the high schools in the region, including Kentucky...is a small university and makes up for all of that with their incredible standard of excellence...
It's drawbacks are the same as WVU...sequestered in the center of a city...if it was the campus of Miami of Ohio, it would be perfect.

Cannot tell you about the business school...if you are a freshman...live in the dorm...the only way to travel that first year...will be that first test of life...

I LOVE OUR CAMPUS! I could not ask for a better campus. I would just like better off-campus apartment selections. There is not a more beautiful campus in WV. I should know, ha ha I tried 2 others (Fairmont State, WVU)before I settled on Marshall and I've toured every one in the state (Thanks to the Gear Up Program) It bussed my entire class all over the state touring colleges. The campus is expanding, and instead of doing what WVU by building a completely separate campus halfway across town, we are extending our current boundaries. I have several friends in the business dept. In fact my best friend has dual majors, marketing and finance. He seems to really enjoy it so far and he is a Junior. Most of the business classes are in Corbly Hall, which is 4-5 stories and was build in the late 80's I believe. I would advise you to come here. It really works really well for me.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:22 PM

Default Positive Story because of "We are Marshall"

Many who read my posts on here know that I often recommend to people that they check out the movie "We are Marshall." Well, the Huntington paper has a neat story about how people are starting to come to Marshall for school after their interest was sparked by the movie. This is a good read and here are some of the more notable quotes:

"After first seeing the movie, Mello and her parents studied Marshall. She knew she wanted to major in theater, but top schools in New York and California were too expensive. Mello later discovered that Marshall was one of the top 50 performing arts schools in the country."

"John Daniels, a new friend of Mello who lives in Huntington, stopped Dawson as he was walking out of the Huntington YMCA. “John came up and introduced himself and said Julie was coming here strictly because of the movie,†Dawson said. “That kind of impressed me. I told him I would sure like to meet her.†Mello and Dawson then met when she came to orientation in July. Dawson called Mello and her parents one morning and invited them to breakfast. “We went to Bob Evans, and I saw that her parents are just as nice as can be and I was very impressed with Julie,†Dawson said. When Mello moved into her dorm, Dawson helped out. When Mello began to miss her family in California, Dawson lent his ear. “About two or three times she called me a little homesick, and I just told her everything is going to be fine,†Dawson said. “I try to check on her from time to time to make sure her chin is still up.â€

Here's the full article Movie inspires California teen to attend Marshall - The Herald Dispatch

Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,689 times
Something involving Matthew Mcconaughey had a positive result? Wonders never cease...

Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 AM

620 posts, read 1,838,419 times
That is a beautiful story! I rented the movie and couldn't stop thinking about it for days. I think I was in high school when the crash occurred and actually remember some parts of it but seeing the movie made it all so real.

Last edited by suecen; 10-12-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-12-2008, 03:46 PM

47 posts, read 162,016 times
I agree that it was a good movie. They even made WVU look good for thier involvement after the crash.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:09 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,779,453 times
Tbail believe it or not, my family was concerned about me relocating to this mysterious place west virginia. I bought the movie and watched it with them- they gave their blessings for my new life here. People are people everywhere, they just didn't know anything about it to have an opinion.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:03 PM

The movie definately is a showcase for WV. From the tourism piece at the beginning to the movie itself, it showcases the state and it's people. I think that the thing that really sets this movie apart from other movies about WV is that most of it was actually filmed here except the football scenes. You usually hear about a movie being made about WV but other than Matewan, no other movie (to my knowledge) was actually filmed here and even Matewan was hard for people to relate to as it was set in the 1920s. The movies are usually filmed in TN or PA and try to take a jab at WV (Wrong Turn) rather than actually celebrating it. I think that "We are Marshall" succeeds on nearly all levels and will always be special to the people of Huntington for the memories the movie brought back but also created.
Tim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington